Official Team BEER-FI (Beer Appreciation Thread!)
Dec 25, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #316 of 2,001
Picked up some good winter beers yesterday: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, a bottle of Unibroue Trois Pistoles, and a bottle of Allagash Dubbel.

I'm here in North Carolina right now and was hoping to find some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (a favorite of mine), but alas, it was nowhere to be seen. Unfortunately I've never seen it in Chicago either, only in Washington, DC.

Of course, there's stuff in Chicago I can't get here, so it's a trade-off.

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #317 of 2,001
Guys, you all ought to taste La Fin du Monde, a Quebec-made beer by Sleeman. That thing is one of the tastiest beers I have drank, and I've tasted more than 15 german and dutch beers, including Krombacker, Leffe and some Guinness
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #318 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey JC, how are you? I'm going to grab a 60 minute out of the fridge. I got thirsty after reading your post.
biggrin.gif
Try some Beer Republic Racer 5 and Hop Rod Rye, if you can find it. Good stuff.

Hello Mike, good to see you too. I'm sure you enjoyed the 60 minute, a fine brew. I did a little tasting of IPA's the other night, started with a Dogfish Shelter to set the palate, then went to a 60 minute, then two others in that class, then a 90 minute, and two others in that class. Made for a nice relaxing evening.

And by the way, these were my Christmas present to myself! And they are incredibly good!

vacuum tube 6C33C amp

JC

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #319 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, you all ought to taste La Fin du Monde, a Quebec-made beer by Sleeman. That thing is one of the tastiest beers I have drank, and I've tasted more than 15 german and dutch beers, including Krombacker, Leffe and some Guinness
biggrin.gif

It's made by Unibroue (same people who make the Trois Pistoles I mentioned), and yes it is very tasty
biggrin.gif
. I think Darkninja would agree as well, I think I saw some in one of his fridge shots...

Also, if you've tried 15 beers, you've got lots of exploring left to do! Have fun!

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #320 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one of America's truly great beers you have there. That was money well spent on a case! There is no better overall Imperial Pale Ale made in North America. Well done.

JC

You have not tried a Port Hop-15, Stone Ruination, or a Southern Tier Unearthly have you? I like the 90 Minute too but there are other IPAs that are up there with it.

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #321 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's made by Unibroue (same people who make the Trois Pistoles I mentioned), and yes it is very tasty
biggrin.gif
. I think Darkninja would agree as well, I think I saw some in one of his fridge shots...

Also, if you've tried 15 beers, you've got lots of exploring left to do! Have fun!

I do not like much of anything from Quebec but Unibroue is one thing I do like. I have had the Maudite, Trois Pistoles, and some others. I have a Fin Du Monde in the fridge as you can see.

As for German offerings: Ayinger, Weihenstephaner, and Franziskaner are some of my favorites. They were recommended to me in another forum as I wanted to go European.

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #322 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up some good winter beers yesterday: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, a bottle of Unibroue Trois Pistoles, and a bottle of Allagash Dubbel.

I'm here in North Carolina right now and was hoping to find some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (a favorite of mine), but alas, it was nowhere to be seen. Unfortunately I've never seen it in Chicago either, only in Washington, DC.

Of course, there's stuff in Chicago I can't get here, so it's a trade-off.

Can you get anything from Three Floyds?? If so shoot me a PM. I can get almost anything else. BBCS? No problem.

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #323 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ale17.jpg

This one makes my personal Top 10 stout list. I like it a lot.

Dec 25, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #324 of 2,001
Just opened this one to celebrate some stuff going on in my life. I had this aged for about a month or so.
very well done Allagash.

alla_tripel_dn.jpg

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #325 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have not tried a Port Hop-15, Stone Ruination, or a Southern Tier Unearthly have you? I like the 90 Minute too but there are other IPAs that are up there with it.

There are certainly other beers in the class, although I have not yet tried any, imo, that manage the overall balance quite a well. I've had the Stone, certainly, and it's a fine beer, I've also tried many, many others. I've unfortunately not had the pleasure (due to lack of access) to either of the others you mention.
frown.gif

There are also a few beers that I am aware of, of this style, that are released by brewers only one day a year, and people literally have to both live within reach, and be waiting outside the door to snap up any of the extremely limited quantity. Some of those could be brilliant efforts, but if they aren't brewed and available on at least a semi-regular, purchaseable basis, they don't really qualify, in my eyes, as anything but experimentation.

JC

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #327 of 2,001
Quote:

Just opened this one to celebrate some stuff going on in my life. I had this aged for about a month or so.
very well done Allagash.

alla_tripel_dn.jpg

Ooh, that's a good one. I like Allagash a lot, I have a bottle of the Dubbel in my fridge right now waiting to be drunk.

As to your earlier question, I can get most anything from Three Floyds, I believe it's only really distributed in Indiana and Illinois. I had some Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale a while ago that was good. PM on the way.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #328 of 2,001
As per the last few stout posts... Rasputin and Shakespeare are excellent, but Shakespeare definitely wins out for me. It has a special place in my heart for winning me over to stouts in general. Deschutes Obsidian is also great, anyone else like this stuff? I don't know why their Black Butte porter is so much easier to get, I don't think it's nearly as good. (Guinness? Bleh. It's like water!)

My personal stout complaint is that I can NEVER get a Stone Russian Imperial around here. They are SO scarce even at the right time of year, but the one time I scored one it was a-MAZ-ing. The weird thing is, though, that they brew it in April or something... that's a cold weather beer if I ever had one...

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #329 of 2,001
Quote:

very well done Allagash.

alla_tripel_dn.jpg

OHHH ALLAGASH..GOOD STUFF!

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #330 of 2,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guinness Stout, from the tap, frosted mug.

x100!! True dat my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back