Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
May 7, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #1,126 of 1,494
The WI-1000XM2 literally just came out like two months ago. I don't think we will see a WI-1000XM3 for a while.

I haven't heard the WI-1000X in a really long time, but I feel like the resolution on the wf-1000xm3 is better. The tuning of both is very much the Sony house sound, a little bass heavy while not trying to step to much on the other frequencies. I'm not a fan of the Sony house sound personally, but other than that you have the same app to change the sound to your liking.

The sound cancelling I felt was better on the WI, and you get the convenience of ldac and going wired for airplanes.

The WF though feels more comfortable if you can get the right tips and insertion method. Getting a good fit can be frustrating but you get a tremendous sense of satisfaction when you get it down. Portability is also better, but the wi-xm2 folds down very small. You will still get a much better clean up time and deploy time on the wf, which doesn't seem like much but I feel like it is huge. You have less of a mental barrier when you want to listen to music but aren't sure if you have time.
The WI-1000XM2 have been out for 6 months I think. The problem is that it houses the same noise cancelling chip QN1 as WH-1000XM3 which has been out 2018, and would be outdated soon as WH-1000XM4 will be on sale this summer. Meanwhile, the noise cancelling chip of WF is QN1e which is slightly different so there is no worry that WF would get outdated anytime soon.

To me there is no hassle getting a good fit on Sony WFs with both the transparent tips, the foam tips, as well as the old Sony black tips.

May 7, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #1,127 of 1,494
The WI-1000XM2 have been out for 6 months I think. The problem is that it houses the same noise cancelling chip QN1 as WH-1000XM3 which has been out 2018, and would be outdated soon as WH-1000XM4 will be on sale this summer. Meanwhile, the noise cancelling chip of WF is QN1e which is slightly different so there is no worry that WF would get outdated anytime soon.

To me there is no hassle getting a good fit on Sony WFs with both the transparent tips, the foam tips, as well as the old Sony black tips.

This thread is starting to sound like a computer thread. Should I wait 6 months for x component to come out? It'll definitely defeat it in price/performance........

What's funny was that people were asking that very same question back in 2019 based on nothing but rumours.

May 7, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #1,128 of 1,494
Hey all.

Just ordered a pair of these and they will be delivered on Monday, most expensive pair of in ears I have had previously is like £30 so I am expecting a massive upgrade!.

With all that said is there any tips you guys can give me, any settings in the app to turn on/off? I will be trying out the included ear tips to start with but not quite sure what size I am.

Anyhow I look forward to getting these and sharing my thoughts.

May 7, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,129 of 1,494

If you constantly worry about “the improved model X” coming out in “just Y months” so I don’t want to buy the current model because it will the be outdated/obsolete you are never going to buy anything as there is potentially always gonna be a new abd improved model coming out in the future

May 7, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,130 of 1,494
The WI-1000XM2 is not really a direct comparison as far as form factors go. It's a in-between option of full headphone and IEM, although closer to IEM. Given the hybrid BA/DD design of the WI, it has the potential to sound better. I say "potential" because IMHO, Sony has proven it sometimes takes a backward step with updated models.

Have to say, the WI seems worthy of an audition. If has a few features that I think are really compelling:
  • LDAC
  • 3.5mm input (thinking airplane IFE)
  • 10 hr battery life
  • More conventional size IEM for comfort
Definitely not in a rush though because I don't expect to be flying again for many months and that's really the only scenario I can see for myself.

May 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #1,131 of 1,494
Waiting for the new model reminds me of whenever I try to build a new computer. There was always a piece on the way that was only a few months before launching. If I kept waiting it would come out and then another piece was going to have an update and the cycle would repeat.

That is also to say with audio products, would the sound remain the same or would it sound better or worse. I have been rocking the WF-1000XM3 since October as my TWS dailies and still quite happy with them.

May 7, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #1,133 of 1,494
Sony is a massive company and their supply chains have been quite heavily impacted. The IER series has months of backorders as a result.

Unless the XM4 has already hit production lines, its more than likely it would be postponed. The Playstation 5 for example, Sony is aiming for a holiday launch would start entering production around this time, in ironically Wuhan. It looks like the PS5 still has a launch for this fall but is going to be a limited launch more than anything.

May 8, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,137 of 1,494
Hey guys,

So I've been pretty unimpressed with the sound on the XM3's but to be fair, I've tried only one set of tips - Acoustune AET08 - just because they fit so great with my Lola's.

Could you recommend some other tips I should try? Thanks a bunch!

Try all the stock ones first. I use Final Audio E LL tips. You really need to get a propper seal for these to shine

May 8, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,138 of 1,494
Hey guys,

So I've been pretty unimpressed with the sound on the XM3's but to be fair, I've tried only one set of tips - Acoustune AET08 - just because they fit so great with my Lola's.

Could you recommend some other tips I should try? Thanks a bunch!

I am using the spinfit cp360 in medium. Maybe it fits too well, sometimes I feel like I'm getting driver flex, or maybe it's just the friction of the tip rotating in my ear. I'm paranoid either way.

The sound signature takes time to get used to. I was unimpressed at first, but going back to my other gear it all starts to sound unnatural compared to the xm3. It ruined my other gear.

I got the same feeling when I first got my er4xr. I didn't see what the hype was about, but after a week so my other earphones sounded unnatural. It is subtly amazing.

May 8, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,139 of 1,494
Right quick initial impressions are they are excellent so far.. I have settled on the medium foam tips though I may try the smaller ones again.

Weird thing I have found is that Sony seem to have removed the headphone app from the playstore on android so I have had to download and use an APK for now until they re-release it.

Sound is excellent anyhow and I am very impressed with the NC but I have decided I won't be using the ambient sound, at least at home because it is so jarring changing all the time.

May 8, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,140 of 1,494
I am using the spinfit cp360 in medium. Maybe it fits too well, sometimes I feel like I'm getting driver flex, or maybe it's just the friction of the tip rotating in my ear. I'm paranoid either way.

The sound signature takes time to get used to. I was unimpressed at first, but going back to my other gear it all starts to sound unnatural compared to the xm3. It ruined my other gear.

I got the same feeling when I first got my er4xr. I didn't see what the hype was about, but after a week so my other earphones sounded unnatural. It is subtly amazing.
Re: getting used to sound signature, totally agree.

The biggest issue is getting a seal and maintaining it. I can only wear mine sitting. Moving around is not a good experience because the earphones shift so easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back