Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Oct 17, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #571 of 1,494
Well I wanted to charge my earphones ONLY when it's necessary, not ALL the time as Sony "professionally" recommends. Do you charge your phone whenever you place it in your pocket? No, why not?

Exactly my point with why not charging the earphones all the time at whichever level the battery is after every use. So why is the app so call turning the earphones OFF if it isn't? And that so called standby/sleep mode. Conclusion is Sony wants us to fcuk up the battery within first 2 years till the new model is out, fantastic, thanks Sony.

That's every true wireless earbud maker, not just Sony. They all function like that. It's either something you live with or don't buy true wireless earbuds.

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #572 of 1,494
That's every true wireless earbud maker, not just Sony. They all function like that. It's either something you live with or don't buy true wireless earbuds.

there are actually a few that dont have a case at all but where you plug in a micro usb cable to each earpphone to charge them but they are far between

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #573 of 1,494
Something seriously weird is going on with these earphones and I suggest everyone to give their pair a test doing this.

I have purchased a travel case (you don't have to get a case, just separate earphones from the Sony charging case) for these earphones so my earphones wouldn't be constantly charging whenever I put them in the Sony case as I'd like to charger them ONLY when it's necessary, but this is what happens.

For example :

I've just taken out the earphones from the Sony case, they are both fully charged, I used them maybe 20 minutes, in the Sony headphones app I have click on the power OFF icon at the top right corner to turn the earphones off and turned OFF the Bluetooth on my phone, also in my app settings I have selected the options for the earphones to go OFF if they haven't been used for 5 minutes (there's no other Bluetooth device that's paired with the earphones ever besides the phone I'm using them with) after that I've placed them in the travel case, not the Sony recharge case, they're supposed to be OFF, Right? Well here's the interesting part, if they are so called OFF why tomorrow when I pick them up (for some reason I have to pop them in and out of the Sony case to turn them ON so they would go into searching/pairing mode again, apparently no other way to do it once they are so called OFF) the battery level is low as 50%??? Where's the battery leak, any explanations? Are mine faulty or we've all got faulty earphones that aren't turning off and say they do?

I’ll try this tonight and see what happens

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #574 of 1,494
Is the ANC always on when you take them out of the case? If so, is there a way to switch ANC off totally?
For background, I’m reading the online manual before deciding on my purchase.
Thanks.

Oct 17, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #575 of 1,494
Yes they go to ANC by default, one tap on the left bud is Ambient another one is Passive another one is back to ANC

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #576 of 1,494
Same here, tried about a dozen different tips I have handy and the only tips that give me a good seal are the large silicone ones but unfortunately I have to push the tips deep in my canal and the rubbery base of the XM3 presses too hard on the ear cartilage and it's well painful ! Never had a problem like that with any IEM before and not with the WF-1000x actually. I had to push them in deep too to get a seal but they didn't have this protruding base.

It's too bad because I'm pretty impressed with the SQ (there is a big bass boost when ANC is on though, a bit like with the QC25) and the ANC. Unlike on the QC20 (or the TaoTronics EP-01) the XM3 have passive isolation so when the seal is good the ANC gives really impressive results in loud commuter trains. Pretty much on par with what I get with my QC25 cans, except maybe for the higher frequencies.

As a side note, does anyone know how this YouTuber managed to record what he hears with the WF-1000xm3 (at 2:22)

Yes - I have the same issue. Everything else has a bad seal/about to fall out of my ears, however silicon ones (default, medium, and large ones) fit well and give me a good seal - however it gets uncomfortable after some time.
I wonder if there are any custom IEM tips out there that I can use. I used to use custom IEM's and they were very comfortable for a couple of years until my ear shape started changing.

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #577 of 1,494
Something seriously weird is going on with these earphones and I suggest everyone to give their pair a test doing this.

I have purchased a travel case (you don't have to get a case, just separate earphones from the Sony charging case) for these earphones so my earphones wouldn't be constantly charging whenever I put them in the Sony case as I'd like to charger them ONLY when it's necessary, but this is what happens.

For example :

I've just taken out the earphones from the Sony case, they are both fully charged, I used them maybe 20 minutes, in the Sony headphones app I have click on the power OFF icon at the top right corner to turn the earphones off and turned OFF the Bluetooth on my phone, also in my app settings I have selected the options for the earphones to go OFF if they haven't been used for 5 minutes (there's no other Bluetooth device that's paired with the earphones ever besides the phone I'm using them with) after that I've placed them in the travel case, not the Sony recharge case, they're supposed to be OFF, Right? Well here's the interesting part, if they are so called OFF why tomorrow when I pick them up (for some reason I have to pop them in and out of the Sony case to turn them ON so they would go into searching/pairing mode again, apparently no other way to do it once they are so called OFF) the battery level is low as 50%??? Where's the battery leak, any explanations? Are mine faulty or we've all got faulty earphones that aren't turning off and say they do?

I tried yesterday. Took them out of the case fully charged at 5pm then went for an hours walk with them. Battery charge still showing 100% in the app at 6pm. Pressed the Off button in the Sony app and the voice in the phones said power off. Left them out of the case on the table over night. At 8am I put them in the case and took them out again to power them on. Battery still showing 100% in the app and voice in the phones said battery fully charged. Seems to work as expected.

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #578 of 1,494
Something isn't right at all what's happening with mine and then with yours. I've used mine, clicked on power off, voice said power off. I placed them in the travel case, went to my Bluetooth search on the phone clicked to connect to my earphones and it connected to them as if I haven't clicked in the earphones app for them to turn off! They are literally constantly in some hibernation mode, or if I pick one of them up and hold it against the other they go from turned off to both blinking blue, I have no idea at all how to turn the off and to stay off!
I tried yesterday. Took them out of the case fully charged at 5pm then went for an hours walk with them. Battery charge still showing 100% in the app at 6pm. Pressed the Off button in the Sony app and the voice in the phones said power off. Left them out of the case on the table over night. At 8am I put them in the case and took them out again to power them on. Battery still showing 100% in the app and voice in the phones said battery fully charged. Seems to work as expected.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #579 of 1,494
Something isn't right at all what's happening with mine and then with yours. I've used mine, clicked on power off, voice said power off. I placed them in the travel case, went to my Bluetooth search on the phone clicked to connect to my earphones and it connected to them as if I haven't clicked in the earphones app for them to turn off! They are literally constantly in some hibernation mode, or if I pick one of them up and hold it against the other they go from turned off to both blinking blue, I have no idea at all how to turn the off and to stay off!
You can try resetting them. The following is from the Manual 47475843M. Maybe there are settings left over from when they were tested at the factory. Starting off fresh is a good option to try in these situations:

If the unit does not operate properly
Follow the procedure below to reset the unit
(Fig. ).
Put the units into the charging case, then touch
and hold the touch sensor control panel on the
left unit. When the indicator (red) on the unit
turns off after flashing (after about 20 seconds),
release the touch sensor control panel. Then,
touch and hold the touch sensor control panel
on the right unit. When the indicator (red) on
the unit turns off after flashing (after about 20
seconds), release the touch sensor control
panel. The pairing information and other
settings are retained even when the unit is
reset.
If the problem persists even after the unit is
reset, perform the procedure below to initialize
the unit.

Put the units into the charging case, then touch
and hold the touch sensor control panel on the
left and right unit simultaneously. When the
indicators (red) start flashing (after about 10
seconds), release the touch sensor control
panel. The indicator (blue) flashes 4 times, the
unit is initialized, and the unit is reset to the
factory settings. When the unit is initialized, all
pairing information is deleted.
• After the unit is initialized, it may not connect
to your iPhone or computer. If this happens,
delete the pairing information of the unit from
the iPhone or computer, and then pair them
again.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #580 of 1,494

Perhaps it's your travel case. If I turn the earphones off in the app and leave them on a table, there is no issue--they stay off and my phone is no longer able to connect. However, if I put them in my jacket pocket for instance, they will come back on. My guess is that the sensors on the earphones are picking up activity and think they are in your ear or something so they turn on.

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #581 of 1,494
I'm having a volume annoyance with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. At 100% volume, they are adequate... but in a louder environment, I can see myself needing a bit more volume. The volume in the Sony app is about 75% when iOS is at 100%. Increasing the app volume works for a split second before iOS forces it back down... any solutions?
36C93DE4-96AA-4FE4-8357-6D547EF66DF1.png

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #582 of 1,494
I'm having a volume annoyance with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. At 100% volume, they are adequate... but in a louder environment, I can see myself needing a bit more volume. The volume in the Sony app is about 75% when iOS is at 100%. Increasing the app volume works for a split second before iOS forces it back down... any solutions?

Do you have a volume limit set under "Music" in Settings? I am able to replicate your issue if I do that.

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #583 of 1,494
Do you have a volume limit set under "Music" in Settings? I am able to replicate your issue if I do that.
Record helpful reply time! I removed the music app since I don't use Apple music, but this fixed the issue. I bet it's what caused the same problem with the Jabras when I had them, but I was able to bypass it using the hardware volume buttons.

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #584 of 1,494
Just wanted to share my experience with this. I initially was a snob about TWS vs wired as I could not imagine any TWS being anywhere close to having a nice sound vs wired headphones. I was using an AK70 and a Senn IE800 for office use but I always found it not practical to walk around with. Alas, I tried the WF-1000XM3 in a store, and also the Momentum TWS, I initially thought this would be good enough, plus the added convenience of just having my phone and no wires. The Momentums sound better FYI, out of the box, but is plagued with connection issues when I tried it out in the store. I picked up the WF-1000XM3 and after a few tweaks in the EQ, I couldn't believe that I got pretty close to how the AK70 + IE800 combo sounded. It is only lacking in soundstage and depth by a little bit but these are actually pretty great. Only issue I have is the fit, the Medium silicone ones do slip so it's not for me, but the Large ones hurts my ear when I do the twist but otherwise it gives me the best sound experience. I ordered some SpinFit CP100 L and I hope it can remedy the fit issues i am having. My AK70 and IE800 will be up for sale soon :)

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #585 of 1,494
Yeah the fit is THE problem with these, unless you have the "right" ears I suppose. Probably a combo of shape, weight on the outside, like of support against the ear (why no wings !)...You'll see from my previous feedback in this thread that I tried pretty much all tips under the sun and came up short. The CP100 didn't work at all because they make them stick out even more than usual. The CP360 have a recessed tip so that helped a bit but then I didn't get a seal. The consensus is that the Final E tips are those that work best and it was close for me but still not quite there with a seal that often broke...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back