Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Oct 8, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #541 of 1,494
Sorry if I am repeating what some of you already said before.....but I just received my pair yesterday. First impressions:

- not that I didn't know before I bought them but no volume controls really kinda suck
- ANC not as good as I expected, probably not good enough seal to begin with
- Compared to my Sennheiser TW, these do not sound nearly as good, or maybe not expected to be based in price point.

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #542 of 1,494
Sorry if I am repeating what some of you already said before.....but I just received my pair yesterday. First impressions:

- not that I didn't know before I bought them but no volume controls really kinda suck
- ANC not as good as I expected, probably not good enough seal to begin with
- Compared to my Sennheiser TW, these do not sound nearly as good, or maybe not expected to be based in price point.
Interesting. For me, the ANC is better at eliminating lower frequencies noises than the Bose QC 30, while they sound better for my tastes than the MTW. In fact, I'm thinking of selling my MTW because I just don't use them that much. To each their own, but I think the WF-1000XM3 sounds excellent and far better than it's predecessor.

Lack of volume controls does suck.

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #544 of 1,494
Yep, that's what I do from time to time if I really can't access my phone easily :wink:

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #545 of 1,494
Here's comparison of WFXM3 ANC with QC20. QC20 is obviously superior to XM3's almost non-existent NC. Note even the passive isolation isn't much of a difference. I will be waiting for the NC700 True Wireless with real ANC.

XM3
wf-1000xm3-isolation-graph-small.jpg

QC20
quietcomfort-20-isolation-graph-small.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #547 of 1,494
I find it very interresting that many (me included) find that the anc makes a very meaningfull difference while others find that it makes no or very little difference at all

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #548 of 1,494
Hey,
Does any of you use these for phone calls? I had a pair but returned them due to the bad call quality. I really like them otherwise... I'm thinking of getting them another chance, maybe I got a Monday sample last time?
What do you guys think?

Just saw this.. Great point i missed in my post above..

They Phone features works well.. I have asked my wife several times "How do i sound" when using these VS my good headset/or simple phone... She cannot tell the difference between my Sonys and my "good business earpiece" (Sennhesier coincidentally). Same with folks on conference calls, however i have never asked :)

EDIT: (What SteveKiwi said below)

Also those saying they have Call quality issues, are you using Android or IOS or something else?? (I have no issues with my android/call quality.. In fact i would go far to say they are better then many other interfaces i use daily..)

I’m curious whether it is iOS that is causing bad call quality? For those who say call quality is okay, are they all using android?

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #549 of 1,494
Thanks for all the eartip tips, everyone. My Final E (size LL for my massive canals) arrived today. Wonderfully snug fit. Didn't realise a co-worker was asking me a question. Success!

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #550 of 1,494
Thanks for all the eartip tips, everyone. My Final E (size LL for my massive canals) arrived today. Wonderfully snug fit. Didn't realise a co-worker was asking me a question. Success!

yep brilliant, that’s what I’m using as well

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #551 of 1,494
Thanks again, NC8000. Also John Darko posted a snap of a XM3 pair he was testing on Twitter, with modified tips. He said they were Campfire audio. Hopefully he has a review in the works.

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #552 of 1,494
I find it very interresting that many (me included) find that the anc makes a very meaningfull difference while others find that it makes no or very little difference at all
I find the ANC to be very good and addresses the major noises it should. Obviously, getting a good seal also important. The 1000XM3 is FAR, FAR better than the original. It also sounds damn good, too. :)

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #553 of 1,494
Here's comparison of WFXM3 ANC with QC20. QC20 is obviously superior to XM3's almost non-existent NC. Note even the passive isolation isn't much of a difference. I will be waiting for the NC700 True Wireless with real ANC.

XM3

QC20

Could you upload the graphs in a bigger size ? Thanks for sharing but there seems to be something at play here because I tested the QC20 extensively and now have the XM3 and my ears tell me a very different story. The QC20 have no passive isolation to speak of (by design) so I suppose their ANC would be more impressive taken as a standalone feature but the XM3 with passive+ANC beats them completely, there is no contest honestly, actually they're very close to what I get with my QC25. I returned the QC20 because they couldn't deal with the chattering in the train, unlike the QC25 and the XM3. I'm not sure what your test set up is but you're apparently not getting a proper "seal". That's been a problem for many users (and for rtings too) and for me only the Comply T200L and Final E LL have done the trick.

About the Final E they do work well...to the extent that you don't sweat too much as I found during a home trainer session on the bike. The seal gets lost pretty quickly. I'll have to try again with the Comply but they'd worked ok during bike rides.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #554 of 1,494
Could you upload the graphs in a bigger size ? Thanks for sharing but there seems to be something at play here because I tested the QC20 extensively and now have the XM3 and my ears tell me a very different story. The QC20 have no passive isolation to speak of (by design) so I suppose their ANC would be more impressive taken as a standalone feature but the XM3 with passive+ANC beats them completely, there is no contest honestly, actually they're very close to what I get with my QC25. I returned the QC20 because they couldn't deal with the chattering in the train, unlike the QC25 and the XM3. I'm not sure what your test set up is but you're apparently not getting a proper "seal". That's been a problem for many users (and for rtings too) and for me only the Comply T200L and Final E LL have done the trick.

About the Final E they do work well...to the extent that you don't sweat too much as I found during a home trainer session on the bike. The seal gets lost pretty quickly. I'll have to try again with the Comply but they'd worked ok during bike rides.
if you look at the graphs, passive isolation doesn't really doesn't have that much of an effect in the low frequencies with iems, and this is generally true. Only outlier is Ety series with tripe flanges. Iems with fit like XM3 or whatever have you doesn't isolate so well, and it's not significant enough to be different from QC20 at all. ANC however has a huge effect on noise, particularly in situations as trains, aircrafts, etc.. in which the graphs just proves how medicore XM3 is when it comes to noise comparatively to Bose ANC.

Anyway, there no better evidence than actual evidence. Your experience, etc.. is just what you think. I've compared QC20 to XM3 and the graphs supports my impressions.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #555 of 1,494
Question!
I am thinking about getting these earbuds. My main thing I'm looking to do with them is listen to music and audio books while I mow lawns and do other landscaping things (it's a side hustle - saving for a home!). Right now, I have a cheap pair of wired earbuds that I put in, and then I put one of those hearing protection headphones over my ears to block out the noise so I don't have to turn the earbuds up too high and (hopefully) help to not damage my hearing.

So, my question is, will these be good for me? I was thinking of doing the same thin , where I put them in and then put the hearing protection over them, but is their active noise canceling good enough to mow a lawn and listen to stuff at a fairly normal level comfortably? The other pair I'm considering is the Cambridge Melomanias. Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back