Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Oct 9, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #556 of 1,494
Question!
I am thinking about getting these earbuds. My main thing I'm looking to do with them is listen to music and audio books while I more lawns and do other landscaping things (it's a side hustle - saving for a home!). Right now, I have a cheap pair of wired earbuds that I put in, and then I put one of those hearing protection headphones over my ears to block out the noise so I don't have to turn the earbuds up too high and (hopefully) help to not damage my hearing.

So, my question is, will these be good for me? I was thinking of doing the same thin , where I put them in and then put the hearing protection over them, but is their active noise canceling good enough to mow a lawn and listen to stuff at a fairly normal level comfortably? The other pair I'm considering is the Cambridge Melomanias. Any input would be appreciated!

It's going to be hard to beat your current setup for mowing the lawn :wink: Also keep in mind that the fit of the XM3 is not great for most people and they're not most stable due to their design with a seal that's pretty easy to "break". Also since they stick out quite a bit you probably wouldn't be able to fit them under hearing protection earphones. If you want to go wireless you could get something like the Anbes 359 (or clone) and you could still wear your earphones over them.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #557 of 1,494
Question!
I am thinking about getting these earbuds. My main thing I'm looking to do with them is listen to music and audio books while I mow lawns and do other landscaping things (it's a side hustle - saving for a home!). Right now, I have a cheap pair of wired earbuds that I put in, and then I put one of those hearing protection headphones over my ears to block out the noise so I don't have to turn the earbuds up too high and (hopefully) help to not damage my hearing.

So, my question is, will these be good for me? I was thinking of doing the same thin , where I put them in and then put the hearing protection over them, but is their active noise canceling good enough to mow a lawn and listen to stuff at a fairly normal level comfortably? The other pair I'm considering is the Cambridge Melomanias. Any input would be appreciated!
Honestly, for yard work, I would look at something less expensive. I have some decent isolating TWS' earbuds that dot he trick. In addition to sweat, etc., I'm not sure I would want to blatantly expose the WF-1000XM3 to all that dust, etc. They have no IP or IPX rating.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #558 of 1,494
I picked up a set of these WF-1000XM3 about two weeks ago and overall I am quite impressed but have one major problem. My main portable setup is a pair of UE18 CIEMs with a Radsone Earstudio but after using a set of cheaper TWS for the gym these past few months, I decided to revisit TWS to complement my UE18 since it is just so convenient to be wireless.

I am able to get a good seal with the provided tips and pretty good comfort, though there is no contest when compared with the customs.
They sound surprisingly good to me and ANC makes a significant difference on vs off when I'm walking through the city.
I also think they look good, battery life seems to be around what is claimed, and the app is not terrible. No volume controls are not a big deal for me either.

My main problem is that I am experience what seem to be random treble boosts that last for a couple seconds each time. Incredibly annoying and distracting especially on songs with a lot of energy up top. It seems to happen most often when I'm walking, but it's happened while I'm just sitting around too. I've tried every combination of settings and fully re-initializing and can't get it to stop. Can't try a firmware update because of the firmware being pulled offline. Maybe a connection issue? It happens on three different phones I've tried (iPhone 11 Pro Max and 8, Galaxy S8).

Other than that, I've only had the audio cut momentarily one time and also only once have they fully disconnected from the device without being asked to. I wish they would hold the last NC setting used instead of reverting back to full noise cancelling each time but not a deal breaker.

I've asked for a replacement to see if my treble boost issue is just with this set. It's too bad because I otherwise really like these. Others have described having a similar problem with their units but it seems most people are fine so I am holding out hope!
Also considered the Sennheiser MTW but the battery/charging issues effectively rule it out for me, on top of the comparatively short battery life.
Anyway, just wanted to share some of my thoughts after using these for a couple weeks!

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #559 of 1,494
I take all these statements with a pinch of salt. My WF1000x MARK ONE sound otherworldly. So good that any shortcomings are easily ignored.
Compared to my Sennheiser TW, these do not sound nearly as good,

sounds excellent and far better than it's predecessor.

. The 1000XM3 is FAR, FAR better than the original

My HD600s for example sound slightly better all round albeit with inferior soundstage and placement of instruments. I suppose they just fit and suit me like a glove. They are an astonishing miniature technological marvel that I am so lucky to own. All IMHO!

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #560 of 1,494
They are also the original totally wireless earphone I believe but maybe I am wrong?!?!

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #561 of 1,494
Does anyone’s unit also have a slight hissing noise when the ANC is on?

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #562 of 1,494
Yes that's due to the "noise" that's being created to counter the surrounding noise, all ANC devices have that to some extent.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #563 of 1,494
Oct 16, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #564 of 1,494
ok so mine have gone back after a trip (plane+train+walking) during which I alternated between the WF-1000XM3, the Libratone Track Air+ and the trusty 65Ts. At the end of the day the Sony's are just not convenient with their "difficult" fit, even the Final E LL have a hard time keeping them in place unless you're pretty still. They do have a slight edge in terms of ANC over the Track Air+ but their passive isolation isn't as good as the 65Ts (with the stock tips stuffed with some Comply foam) so when you're listening to music there really isn't that much of a difference. The SQ is "Sony like", pretty pleasing with their powerful bass and recessed mids and highs but when you're on the move it's a bit "lost in the mix" anyway and the other two are decent enough.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #565 of 1,494
I don’t have any issues with a difficult fit with Spiral Dots, but longer tips definitely push the WF out a bit too much.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #566 of 1,494
ok so mine have gone back after a trip (plane+train+walking) during which I alternated between the WF-1000XM3, the Libratone Track Air+ and the trusty 65Ts. At the end of the day the Sony's are just not convenient with their "difficult" fit, even the Final E LL have a hard time keeping them in place unless you're pretty still. They do have a slight edge in terms of ANC over the Track Air+ but their passive isolation isn't as good as the 65Ts (with the stock tips stuffed with some Comply foam) so when you're listening to music there really isn't that much of a difference. The SQ is "Sony like", pretty pleasing with their powerful bass and recessed mids and highs but when you're on the move it's a bit "lost in the mix" anyway and the other two are decent enough.

For me the Final E LL works perfectly and keep them in place fine even for yard work or several hours of cross country walking and isolation is good, I’ve yet to encounter a situation where I have needed to push the volume above 60% on my iPhone8

Oct 17, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #567 of 1,494
I struggle with the small ones to get a good seal, as I have a really small ear canal. I just had a read and people are suggesting the spin fit as they are currently useless for me. my Haylou GT1 currently sound as good.

Oct 17, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #568 of 1,494
Something seriously weird is going on with these earphones and I suggest everyone to give their pair a test doing this.

I have purchased a travel case (you don't have to get a case, just separate earphones from the Sony charging case) for these earphones so my earphones wouldn't be constantly charging whenever I put them in the Sony case as I'd like to charger them ONLY when it's necessary, but this is what happens.

For example :

I've just taken out the earphones from the Sony case, they are both fully charged, I used them maybe 20 minutes, in the Sony headphones app I have click on the power OFF icon at the top right corner to turn the earphones off and turned OFF the Bluetooth on my phone, also in my app settings I have selected the options for the earphones to go OFF if they haven't been used for 5 minutes (there's no other Bluetooth device that's paired with the earphones ever besides the phone I'm using them with) after that I've placed them in the travel case, not the Sony recharge case, they're supposed to be OFF, Right? Well here's the interesting part, if they are so called OFF why tomorrow when I pick them up (for some reason I have to pop them in and out of the Sony case to turn them ON so they would go into searching/pairing mode again, apparently no other way to do it once they are so called OFF) the battery level is low as 50%??? Where's the battery leak, any explanations? Are mine faulty or we've all got faulty earphones that aren't turning off and say they do?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #569 of 1,494
Something seriously weird is going on with these earphones and I suggest everyone to give their pair a test doing this.

I have purchased a travel case (you don't have to get a case, just separate earphones from the Sony charging case) for these earphones so my earphones wouldn't be constantly charging whenever I put them in the Sony case as I'd like to charger them ONLY when it's necessary, but this is what happens.

For example :

I've just taken out the earphones from the Sony case, they are both fully charged, I used them maybe 20 minutes, in the Sony headphones app I have click on the power OFF icon at the top right corner to turn the earphones off and turned OFF the Bluetooth on my phone, also in my app settings I have selected the options for the earphones to go OFF if they haven't been used for 5 minutes (there's no other Bluetooth device that's paired with the earphones ever besides the phone I'm using them with) after that I've placed them in the travel case, not the Sony recharge case, they're supposed to be OFF, Right? Well here's the interesting part, if they are so called OFF why tomorrow when I pick them up (for some reason I have to pop them in and out of the Sony case to turn them ON so they would go into searching/pairing mode again, apparently no other way to do it once they are so called OFF) the battery level is low as 50%??? Where's the battery leak, any explanations? Are mine faulty or we've all got faulty earphones that aren't turning off and say they do?

Why use a travel case and the case supplied?

I suspect the headphones won't truly power down when not in the standard case. They will be in a low power mode ready to connect and play music quickly. I have seen Sony comment to say the best place to keep the headphones is in the supplied case.

What benefit are you getting from another case?

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #570 of 1,494
Why use a travel case and the case supplied?

I suspect the headphones won't truly power down when not in the standard case. They will be in a low power mode ready to connect and play music quickly. I have seen Sony comment to say the best place to keep the headphones is in the supplied case.

What benefit are you getting from another case?

Well I wanted to charge my earphones ONLY when it's necessary, not ALL the time as Sony "professionally" recommends. Do you charge your phone whenever you place it in your pocket? No, why not?

Exactly my point with why not charging the earphones all the time at whichever level the battery is after every use. So why is the app so call turning the earphones OFF if it isn't? And that so called standby/sleep mode. Conclusion is Sony wants us to fcuk up the battery within first 2 years till the new model is out, fantastic, thanks Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back