Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 23, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #256 of 1,494
Hi—hope someone can help me. I seem to have a large left ear canal and cannot keep even the large silicone tip in my left ear—it always works it’s way out. I have tried some old comply with more or less the same result, and don’t want to buy more unless the are going to work. Have also tried spinfit cp 100’s that were even worse. Does any one have experience with this?

Thanks

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #257 of 1,494
I seem to have a large left ear canal and cannot keep even the large silicone tip in my left ear
You could use earplugs; I used to do that. Cut off part of it so it's not too long and puncture a hole through the center, then wrap it around the part that the ear tips normally connect to (you don't want any hanging past or it'll block the audio, so cut it shorter if it does). When putting them in your ears, roll the earplug tip to make it smaller, then hold it in your ear until it's expanded. That is assuming that your ear canals aren't too big for earplugs too.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #258 of 1,494
You could use earplugs; I used to do that. Cut off part of it so it's not too long and puncture a hole through the center, then wrap it around the part that the ear tips normally connect to (you don't want any hanging past or it'll block the audio, so cut it shorter if it does). When putting them in your ears, roll the earplug tip to make it smaller, then hold it in your ear until it's expanded. That is assuming that your ear canals aren't too small for earplugs too.

His problem is that his ear canal is too big for even the biggets tips, not too small

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #259 of 1,494
Hi—hope someone can help me. I seem to have a large left ear canal and cannot keep even the large silicone tip in my left ear—it always works it’s way out. I have tried some old comply with more or less the same result, and don’t want to buy more unless the are going to work. Have also tried spinfit cp 100’s that were even worse. Does any one have experience with this?

Thanks
I have a similar problem. What finally worked for me is Final E tips, size LL. Another way is to make your own. Get yellow (foam) or orange (memory foam) ear plugs from a safety supply store. Get silicon tubing that will fit over the IEM nozzle. Use a hole punch to make a hole in the ear plug (cut to size), a dab of gel super glue on the silicon, and slide the ear plug onto the silicon tubing. I used to make them for my Triple-Fi pro.

I found that the Final LL has an inward curve at the base, which locks onto the ear canal, and forms a seal. Without that curve, the earbud slide out much easier.
The LL is 15mm, versus the L being 13mm, which could make the difference in getting a proper seal.
51ltpesNehL._AC_SX352_SY248_.jpg

326308_i84rm4_0.jpg

I think the measurements are Width/Height
O1CN011gwqiAVKmVIST5R_!!33904207.jpg

I found this interesting article on the web. https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/04/ultimate-guide-selecting-perfect-iem-ear-buds-tips/
There are some instructions on making your own in the guide.

And this description from somewhere.
Head-Fi-tips-comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #261 of 1,494
Do any of you guys experience a background hissing sound (a very light "sssss") while the noise cancellation processor is on and music is not playing? It can be normally heard in a quiet room, but it is very annoying. The noise goes away when I turn noise cancellation off (ambient noise control off). Is it the same with your pair?? Shall I return them?

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #262 of 1,494
Do any of you guys experience a background hissing sound (a very light "sssss") while the noise cancellation processor is on and music is not playing? It can be normally heard in a quiet room, but it is very annoying. The noise goes away when I turn noise cancellation off (ambient noise control off). Is it the same with your pair?? Shall I return them?
Yes this happens with mine and I assume it's normal.

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #263 of 1,494
Very happy with mine after a week. No desire to go to my wired IEMs. Might even sell them off of this keeps up. These sound so good. Have a little discomfort on the left ear with my spinfit cp100s but I will keep trying tips. No sound drop outs on the Iphone X. I used to have that happen in my car but just realized it stopped at some point when I was reading this thread. Maybe make sure you have all the updates done is all I can recommend. These are great IEMs for the price period wired or wireless.

Wow are you saying this even compared to your andromeda’s? Or is it similar to my experience with the Bose and AirPods where the quality is good enough that I only use wired headphones and iems for home listening now.

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #264 of 1,494

Yes you get that with all ANC, it is the white noise reverse soundwave signal

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #265 of 1,494
Wow are you saying this even compared to your andromeda’s? Or is it similar to my experience with the Bose and AirPods where the quality is good enough that I only use wired headphones and iems for home listening now.

I hate to compare anything with Andromeda's because they are so special and I would recommend to anyone to own a pair just to see what the hype is about. The sony's have a tune that I prefer even if the SQ isn't better overall. The andromedas don't have enough bass for me to be totally happy with them. The Sony's bass is just about perfect for me at standard settings. I have been listening to them with no EQ in the app and the sound just right to me like that.

The thing is to my ears, I don't think I have ever heard a pair of IEMs sound this good at this price point wireless or not. They are very convenient and the NC is a cool feature. If I don't go for my wired ones enough I may sell them off is all. No point in keeping them to listen to them once a month. Not sure about that yet. The N3AP's would go first I would think. Andromeda's last.

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #266 of 1,494
The Andromeda + silver cable + Chord Poly / Mojo + comply tips (it is the comfort one) pretty much slaps the WF-1000XM3 in all area’s including bass. The passive isolation is even that good that it doesn’t need ANC.

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #267 of 1,494
The Andromeda + silver cable + Chord Poly / Mojo + comply tips (it is the comfort one) pretty much slaps the WF-1000XM3 in all area’s including bass. The passive isolation is even that good that it doesn’t need ANC.

One would certainly hope so but for my use case (commuting and walking and the occaisional flight and the very rare phone call) the WF with iPhone8 is more than good enough

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #268 of 1,494

After using the WF1000M3 for more than a week I think I can finally make some comments regarding these.

As I said previously - after trying/owning a few True Wireless Earbuds it is obvious to me that they are a special category of audio product which requires both gadget/software expertise as well as audio know-hows in order to make a pair of truly great True Wireless Earbuds, and Sony is one of the few companies which actually has what it takes to make a great product. To me a True Wireless Earbud must satisfy 4 categories to be worth recommending, and they are (in no particular order) sound, comfort, user experience, and software. Sound and comfort is self-explanatory, but user experience and software requires a bit more explanation.

User experience - things like the charging case, playback controls, pairing etc.
Software - control app, video/audio sync and delays, individual unit playback and other extra features

I have these 4 categories because I see True Wireless Earbuds (TWE) mainly being companions to smartphones and not dedicated DAPs, and smartphones doesn't just play music but does numerous other things like play video or games, and because of that convenience must be factored into evaluating TWE.

Now I owned the first WF1000X - I liked the sound and they worked for me for the most parts, it has a slight warmish turn but still has enough clarity in the highs for me to enjoy them unlike the majority of TWE which are overtly warm, wooly and bassy for my taste, but it suffered from a lot of short-comings in the user experience which made them hard to recommend. Besides the well documented disconnection issues as well as audio desync, the case was also rather poorly designed in that the earbuds can pop out of their position when knocked and cause them to not charge properly as well as completely discharge. So while they were good to me sound wise and was comfortable enough with the Sony Triple Comfort tips, it failed pretty miserably in the user experience and the software side of things. If I would give a score to the original WF1000X in my four categories, each out of 5, it would like this:
Sound: 4
Comfort: 4
User experience: 2 - mainly the poor case design as I've found many times that the earbuds got knock lose inside the case and lost charge which is hugely frustrating
Software: 3 - horrible video/audio sync issue with most common apps such as Youtube, but works fine with Apple's video apps for some reason. ANC worked good for me and the control app is fairly decent.

After having the WF1000X for awhile I purchased the B&O E8 to replace them (and I later sold the WF1000X). In terms of tuning I liked these a lot as well but they are different to the WF1000X. The E8 has a more sparkly treble but less bass extension. Out of the box the treble can get a bit peaky and piercing depending on the song. But thankfully the B&O control app has a very intuitive - though not particularly accurate for fine tuning - EQ interface which is a circle divided into four quadrants labelled warm/excited/relaxed/bright which you can place a pin of sort anywhere in the circle to get to a desired sound signature, and the design makes it very easy to use on the go because it doesn't require finesse. The case is a very nice and compact case with an elastic band that makes it easy to loop around a belt loop in the pants or a ring on the bag, and the magnets on both the case cover as well as for attaching the units inside the case are reassuring. The comfort of the buds are exceptional, especially once I replaced the stock tips with something else I liked more (in this case I also use the Sony Triple Comfort tips). However these also suffered a lot in terms of video/audio out of sync issues, and the master/slave configuration is still a little problematic, even though it uses a different type of radio communication (magnetic induction instead of common RF) between the units. Codec wise these supported SBC and AAC - which to me is sufficient as mainly an iOS user though I can see Android users feeling left out as not all Android phones support AAC, and even then support is not as good as Apple's implementation in the codec sound tuning. Score wise it will be as follows:
Sound: 4
Comfort: 5
User experience: 3 - the touch controls can be problematic
Software: 3 - still plague with video/audio sync issues like the WF1000X. The control app is quite slick and easy to use.

And now to the 1000XM3.
In terms of sound I find them very capable. Out of the box the sound is slightly more neutral compared to how I remembered the original, and the highs are also a little less piercing. These also EQs very well and the updates to the control app with several presets makes it very easy to quickly dial into a different sound signature. Personally I use the Vocal settings with these. In terms of comfort these are slightly more ergonomic than the originals, but due to the size, shape and weight distribution it's not as comfortable or as secure as the E8. For tips, I've changed to the recently released in Japan Fender SureSeal tips (doesn't seem to be available elsewhere yet) that is body heat sensitive silicone gel type eartips which are very grippy and seals very well, working in combination of the ANC it blocks out huge amount of outside noise that is almost comparable to CIEM. The SureSeal also have a bigger bore opening than the triple comfort and is shorted, which seems to open up the soundstage just a tiny bit more as well as letting more bass impact, probably due to less dampening happening. Speaking of the ANC, I think the main attraction of the M3 ANC is not that it is borrowed from the over-ear brothers and thus being more effective, but rather it's the newly tuned smart ambient sound control system which automatically switches the ANC mode depending on whether you are walking, sitting, or on a train. It start off a little bit iffy the first few days that I was tempted to switch it off, but I stuck out and after some learning (it requires location data from your phone) it becomes a bit more accurate, and thus helpful. For example, allowing station announcements to come through on a train is a godsend so you don't miss your stop, and then allowing even more ambient sound to come in when you are walking greatly increases your situational awareness and thus reduces the risk of getting into accidents. It's not perfect though as sometimes the system cannot decide on the mode and switches widely which causes the music to cut off and switch back on randomly and could get annoying, but it's one of those UX that is well intentioned and adds more value to the ANC than just blocking out noise.

20190823_164018356_iOS.jpg

The other area of great improvement is the case - now using strong magnets which snaps the earbuds into the correct position reassuringly, so no more discharged earbuds. The design itself is pocket friendly enough but a little on the large end. I personally feel there's no need for providing two complete charges in the case when the battery life of the earbuds is rated for 6 hours, so perhaps a reduced in size battery case which provides 1.5 charges would be better, but that's just me.
There's a lot of talk about the lack of an IPTX rating - I don't gym or exercise with my earbuds so it's not a huge concern to me.
Codec wise - same as the E8. It's fine. Having LDAC would've been better, but it's not a major lost. And as I've talked about previous, not having aptX due to the new custom Bluetooth chipset which allows the non master/slave setup is more than a worthy tradeoff.
Another one of the important improvement is the scrapping of master/slave architecture - this was a major reason I bought these. Sometimes at work I like to just wear one earbuds so I can still get sound ques from my surroundings, I also prefer to wear only the left side due to my seating arrangement in the office and strangely the vast majority of TWE the master unit is the right unit which means I can't wear the left unit only and must wear the right unit. With the 1000XM3 I can now wear just the left unit. Also with this new arrangement the video/audio delay issue is almost entirely addressed. Videos are more or less in sync, though gaming is much more hit and miss. Still, a definite improvement over the ones I owned before. Connection stability is also touted as an advantage of this new setup and it mostly lived up to the claim, strangely I get intermediate pops and clicks on the right side but the left side had been rock solid.
Touch control is merely ok - I don't actually mind that there's no gesture for volume control, as the E8 has those (tap and hold right side for volume up, tap and hold left side for volume down) but is not that intuitive and is not accurate that I always overshoot the target. My major issue is that the touch controls are a bit too sensitive where a light brush can cause play/pause when it was not my intention to do so. In general the default setup is passable, perhaps adding more customisation on the gestures in the future can improve the situation. In terms of an overall score, this is what I would give to the WF1000XM3:

Sound: 4.5
Comfort: 4
User experience: 4
Software: 4

I don't do calls much with TWE so I can't comment - though one interesting "hack" I've seen people talked about with the 1000XM3 is that since these are completely independent, if you find the other side having trouble hearing your voice, just pull one unit out of your ear and hold it up to your mouth and use it as a mic.

Overall, I think the WF1000XM3 comes very close to being the perfect TWE for me, and is probably the current gold standard that TWE should live up to in all the areas which defines TWE as it has the least trade offs. Since these aren't simple earbuds, it does require some digging and learning to use them properly (such as the ambient sound control), but it's worth investing the time to learn your gadgets and the payoff is great, and again this is something that is unique to TWE which other wired earphones don't have.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #269 of 1,494
Nanaholic
Excellent and very extensive and thorough review. I am in a similar situation to you as I own the E8's, have had the new Sony's for two weeks, and also have the B&O H9i for airplane use.

I am really on the fence with the Sony's. They have been packed up for return to Amazon, opened up again to try, and are still sitting out perhaps ready to be packed up again for return.
I am very happy with the sound - more so than my E8's. My sole use for the Sony's is to bring them on flights instead of the H9i's (small form factor). While I have not had the opportunity to try them out on a flight - my trials with them at home (dryer, dishwashing machine etc.) seem to indicate the ANC being a bit meh. Perhaps the constant drone of an airline engine will allow the ANC to function better?

The biggest thing for me is comfort. I just cannot seem to find the magic key. All of the included buds left me unhappy. I tried the Comply T200 foam tips from my E8's - and still was not happy with comfort. I then tried my Spinfit CP100's (from my E8's) and they fit better - however still uncomfortable.
The Sony's were then boxed up and labeled to go back to Amazon. At the last moment I unboxed them one last time and, based on this thread, ordered the Spinfit CP360's. This time I ordered a medium and small (I use medium for my E8's).

Still not happy with the comfort - and the seal.

What to do??? I think the Sony's sound better than the E8's - however the B&O H9i's sound even better still - and the ANC appears to work better. The problem is I would love to carry the Sony's onto the airplane instead of big over the ear H9i's!

Aug 25, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #270 of 1,494
Nanaholic
Excellent and very extensive and thorough review. I am in a similar situation to you as I own the E8's, have had the new Sony's for two weeks, and also have the B&O H9i for airplane use.

I am really on the fence with the Sony's. They have been packed up for return to Amazon, opened up again to try, and are still sitting out perhaps ready to be packed up again for return.
I am very happy with the sound - more so than my E8's. My sole use for the Sony's is to bring them on flights instead of the H9i's (small form factor). While I have not had the opportunity to try them out on a flight - my trials with them at home (dryer, dishwashing machine etc.) seem to indicate the ANC being a bit meh. Perhaps the constant drone of an airline engine will allow the ANC to function better?

The biggest thing for me is comfort. I just cannot seem to find the magic key. All of the included buds left me unhappy. I tried the Comply T200 foam tips from my E8's - and still was not happy with comfort. I then tried my Spinfit CP100's (from my E8's) and they fit better - however still uncomfortable.
The Sony's were then boxed up and labeled to go back to Amazon. At the last moment I unboxed them one last time and, based on this thread, ordered the Spinfit CP360's. This time I ordered a medium and small (I use medium for my E8's).

Still not happy with the comfort - and the seal.

What to do??? I think the Sony's sound better than the E8's - however the B&O H9i's sound even better still - and the ANC appears to work better. The problem is I would love to carry the Sony's onto the airplane instead of big over the ear H9i's!

I’ll be trying both XM3’s on a flight Tuesday. I expect the full size to be better ANC but I also expect the WF to be good enough and even better when I get the Comply tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back