Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 19, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #241 of 1,494
Having a major problem with these - has anyone noticed audio bitrate suddenly dropping for a few seconds? It’s more apparent on tracks with lots of snare or treble. Essentially the sound sounds slightly muffled for a few seconds randomly before going back to crystal clear. This is happening with both iPhone X and iPad Pro (latest), using Spotify with max settings. Haven’t had this happen with airpods or my Sony over-ears. Emailed Sony already and they gave me the usual reset runaround. Please chime in if anyone has any suggestions! Hoping this can be solved with a firmware fix - unless of course I have a defective pair.
Anyone else facing this too? I’ve been getting this frequently too and feels like a software issue.

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #242 of 1,494
Anyone else facing this too? I’ve been getting this frequently too and feels like a software issue.

Not something I have noticed with an iPhone8

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #244 of 1,494

I’ve seen some posts on reddit where other users are experiencing this too. From what I’ve seen it only happens with iPhone X and newer devices - just speculating but it may have something to do with the newer Bluetooth chips and power management. Hoping we have a fix soon!

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #245 of 1,494
I’ve seen some posts on reddit where other users are experiencing this too. From what I’ve seen it only happens with iPhone X and newer devices - just speculating but it may have something to do with the newer Bluetooth chips and power management. Hoping we have a fix soon!
I have both an iPhone X and a newer iPad Pro, and neither have exhibited this issue as far as I can tell. I frequently switch between them.

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #247 of 1,494

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #248 of 1,494
Am using them on the train now and I would say ANC is removing 90% of the track end engine noise but not that much of the conversation but I can certainly listen at lower volume than I would normally do. Am getting some Complys in and expect them to cut further

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #249 of 1,494
I kid you not when I say this: the listening enjoyment I get from the WF-1000XM3 has made me reconsider all the fuss about wired IEMs.

This is not to say that the utility of using wired IEMs has entirely diminished: in terms of pure sonic performance, my two CIEMs (in the middle) and my Lyra 2 still trump the WF-1000XM3. But once you consider the freedom of movement and convenience you get from not having to deal with wires sticking from your ears, as well as their relatively strong sonic performance (from my entirely subjective estimate, they achieve 85%-90% of the sound of my wired IEMs), the WF-1000XM3s are among the better IEM releases in recent memory. I am still floored by how clear/transparent/fun/big they sound, considering that sub-USD300 IEMs, much less DD TWS IEMs, shouldn't sound this good.

Will I completely abandon my wired IEMs? I don't think so.

But will my WF-1000XM3s get a lot more listening time? Hell yeah.

just got mine a week ago...this pretty much what i feel at first...

i used Elite 65t and TFZ X1 before, i really like the battery life with both...the XM3 obliterate them in both sonic performance and feature, but not the battery...i hope the next gen will have better battery performance, i know it's too early but with XM3 i'm pretty much done searching for tws for the next couple years...

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #250 of 1,494
just got mine a week ago...this pretty much what i feel at first...

i used Elite 65t and TFZ X1 before, i really like the battery life with both...the XM3 obliterate them in both sonic performance and feature, but not the battery...i hope the next gen will have better battery performance, i know it's too early but with XM3 i'm pretty much done searching for tws for the next couple years...

I get between 6 and 8 hours from the XM3 with ANC active, I’ve never needed any more than that in one session

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #251 of 1,494
Got mine a week ago and have some thoughts and comparison with the Bose Soundsport Free. Thought I’d primarily use them for running. Unfortunately when they’re in good enough to create a good seal, they transfer noise from every step. They also make lots of wind noise when wind hits the mics, which is frequent. I’ll be sticking with the Bose for running.

Used them vacuuming and on some flights this week. The ANC is very good, but certainly not at the level of the WH-1000XM2 I own. Maybe I need to try some other tips, but the default ones seem to fit. They just aren’t all that comfortable and I want to take them out within an hour. The last ANC earbuds I had were the Bose QC20i. Those were not uncomfortable.

I think they sound great, but I still prefer the sound of the Bose Soundsport Free. Those are also more comfortable for me.

Tried them on a call. Completely useless.

I think my use of these will perhaps be for short flights and doing noisy things at home (vacuuming, weed whacking, etc.).

They do stay in the ears quite securely. No concern about them falling out when I ran with them.

Have had a couple times where it seemed like the left ear got more quiet for half a second, but my Bose do that too. The responsiveness of the touch pad area on them isn’t great. And who thought there should be no volume control on them? Greatly prefer the Bose for that too.

Case is nice and not so small that I’ll lose it easily. Pairing was fine. Had issues connecting to a different device when it was also connected to my phone. Had to turn off Bluetooth on my phone to get them to connect to an iPad. Other times though I could switch the connection without having to disconnect the other device first.

Overall they’re pretty good and I can recommend them, mostly because there isn’t really another option for ANC truly wireless earbuds, but they’re still problematic.

At least I don’t seem to be having the problems others are, but we’ll see if anything creeps up over time.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #252 of 1,494
The call quality is really bad on these. I noticed my girlfriend had trouble understanding me and I was tired of shouting all the time, so I decided to switch to the Bose NC 700. She said it was a million times better.

So according to her, Bose NC 700 > Powerbeats Pro > Apple Airpods > Sony WF1000XM3.

I bought the Powerbeats Pro for sports and I didn’t expect too much from it as it made by Beats. But all in all, the Powerbeats Pro looks to be the best all around wireless IEM as it does pretty much everything well. The Sony WF-1000XM3 has really huge weaknesses as a wireless IEM.

I will keep it I guess as a backup for the Bose NC 700 for flights.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #253 of 1,494
Very happy with mine after a week. No desire to go to my wired IEMs. Might even sell them off of this keeps up. These sound so good. Have a little discomfort on the left ear with my spinfit cp100s but I will keep trying tips. No sound drop outs on the Iphone X. I used to have that happen in my car but just realized it stopped at some point when I was reading this thread. Maybe make sure you have all the updates done is all I can recommend. These are great IEMs for the price period wired or wireless.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #254 of 1,494
[QUOTE="nevrsumr, post: 15141898, member: 485746" No desire to go to my wired IEMs. These sound so good. [/QUOTE]

yes, that's true. These bring back the joy of listening to old songs. This is the best recommendation.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #255 of 1,494
Has anyone else experienced a clicking noise in the right earbud with the ANC on while in a train or car? Might need to RMA. I also made a phone call in the car earlier with just the right one in and the person couldn't hear me at all.

I love these though. I plan on selling my Jabra Elite 65t and my Westone W20 and just use these. The sound signature is great. Way more bass than either without being unbalanced, better soundstage than either, great instrument separation, and clear and natural vocals. More of that fun sound you get from full size headphones than my previous IEMs. I do wish you could have the same function on either earbud when used by itself and then different ones when used together, and I was very confused for a while with having to press very quickly to cycle the audio modes. I also wish they would remember the last mode used instead of reverting to ANC on. I'm glad that they stick out instead of filling the cup of the ear like the Jabras because that hurt my left ear due to its shape, even if that means they aren't secure enough for exercise (not to mention the lack of water resistance). I also wish they could eliminate background noise in these wireless earphones. There's a lot with ANC on but even with it turned off there's some.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back