Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #226 of 1,494
Yeah, now you have a IEr-Z1r junior paying 1/10 of the price. IER-Z1R has wider sound stage but WF-1000XM3 is not too behind.

I heard that soundstage is more narrow with ANC on than off. Is this accurate? And if so, how much is the difference?

Also, I wonder how the sound is with DSEE HX off. I would have this off, but unsure if Sony designed it to be on to get the best output.

TBH, all this digitization is worrisome. Not only are you getting music file and BT compression, but upscaling via DSEE and then the ANC messing with the signal too. It's a wonder it can be at all an "accurate" representation in the end!

Aug 16, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #227 of 1,494
I heard that soundstage is more narrow with ANC on than off. Is this accurate? And if so, how much is the difference?

Also, I wonder how the sound is with DSEE HX off. I would have this off, but unsure if Sony designed it to be on to get the best output.

TBH, all this digitization is worrisome. Not only are you getting music file and BT compression, but upscaling via DSEE and then the ANC messing with the signal too. It's a wonder it can be at all an "accurate" representation in the end!
Hearing is believing. Don't take other people's words but try it by yourself.

Good luck!

Aug 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #228 of 1,494
Hearing is believing. Don't take other people's words but try it by yourself.

Good luck!

I would if I could. Almost a month after launch and it's unavailable in the US. But still would like to know these answers so I know better what I'd be buying.

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #229 of 1,494
I would if I could. Almost a month after launch and it's unavailable in the US. But still would like to know these answers so I know better what I'd be buying.
I ordered it from Amazon, it arrived very quickly. You can return it if you don't want it.

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #230 of 1,494

Every Best Buy in San Diego had these available a good week or so prior to the official launch. I already purchased these locally, had them for 12 days, then returned early last week (my criticism is similar to SilverEars).

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #231 of 1,494
Ordered on Focus Camera as soon as their pre-order page went live (to avoid taxes + a small discount code I had), but they have yet to have them in. So by the time I saw others were getting them in, too late. They're on backorder right now on Amazon and BestBuy.

Not hurting for them, I can wait. Just really annoying. Almost a month since they launched.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #233 of 1,494
Will owning the over ear Sony WH-1000XM3's give me any kind of reference as to how these sound? Or, is the sound completely different?

They have a similar Sony signature but the WF is more balanced

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #234 of 1,494
48558799162_d6e107cd81_c.jpg

I kid you not when I say this: the listening enjoyment I get from the WF-1000XM3 has made me reconsider all the fuss about wired IEMs.

This is not to say that the utility of using wired IEMs has entirely diminished: in terms of pure sonic performance, my two CIEMs (in the middle) and my Lyra 2 still trump the WF-1000XM3. But once you consider the freedom of movement and convenience you get from not having to deal with wires sticking from your ears, as well as their relatively strong sonic performance (from my entirely subjective estimate, they achieve 85%-90% of the sound of my wired IEMs), the WF-1000XM3s are among the better IEM releases in recent memory. I am still floored by how clear/transparent/fun/big they sound, considering that sub-USD300 IEMs, much less DD TWS IEMs, shouldn't sound this good.

Will I completely abandon my wired IEMs? I don't think so.

But will my WF-1000XM3s get a lot more listening time? Hell yeah.

Aug 17, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #236 of 1,494

I kid you not when I say this: the listening enjoyment I get from the WF-1000XM3 has made me reconsider all the fuss about wired IEMs.

This is not to say that the utility of using wired IEMs has entirely diminished: in terms of pure sonic performance, my two CIEMs (in the middle) and my Lyra 2 still trump the WF-1000XM3. But once you consider the freedom of movement and convenience you get from not having to deal with wires sticking from your ears, as well as their relatively strong sonic performance (from my entirely subjective estimate, they achieve 85%-90% of the sound of my wired IEMs), the WF-1000XM3s are among the better IEM releases in recent memory. I am still floored by how clear/transparent/fun/big they sound, considering that sub-USD300 IEMs, much less DD TWS IEMs, shouldn't sound this good.

I totally agree (though perhaps not entirely with the percentages). My wired phones are now exclusively for stationary use at home or in hotel rooms and the like. On the move it’s purely wireless, the convenience of no wires id truely addictive. Luckily I don’t do anything where the lack of ipx is a problem and I always wear a hat so rain should also not be a problem and I never adjust volume on the phones, even on the ones that support it

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #237 of 1,494

Tell me about it! I have expensive cans and earbuds, but I found WF-1000XM3 is comparable to those headphones plus the freedom. I won't sell them but I can see me using them less and less due to no entanglement. Unbelievable performance in such a small package.

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #238 of 1,494

AGREED 100% Beoplay E8 2.0 has replaced pretty much ALL my wired phones

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #239 of 1,494
Has anyone used these for gym or biking? My biggest qualm about not getting these is no water resistance or able to control sound from the buds.

Exercise with mine, mostly running on a treadmill and a little weight training along with pushups and sit-ups. I guess it really depends on how much your ears sweat. Overall I sweat a lot, but the insides of my ears don’t really sweat too much, because my Sony’s are dry afterwards. If you’re not sure, buy from best buy with a protection plan. I didn’t buy a plan with mine, but so far I haven’t regretted that decision.

Aug 17, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #240 of 1,494
Just 3D print a fin with TPU then you will be fine. It will take no more than 10 min.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back