Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 15, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #212 of 1,494
48129036-842B-4C31-8219-106D34D0ECB3.png
I was a bit alarmed by this at first, but then I realised that the indicator in the app is quite crude. it seems to jump down in large chunks. So while the left might discharge slightly faster, it will be at 69% which gets reported as 70%, while the right which is on 71% gets reported as 100%. There don't seem to be any finer integers. I saw the same discrepancy the other evening, and when I looked again a few moments later both L and R were showing as 70%.
So far so good.....

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #213 of 1,494
Officially joining the hype train! :o2smile:

48544478741_9ff948b86e.jpg

Before trying them, I had very low expectations. While I am a big Sony fan (apart from the NW-WM1A and the just-purchased WF-1000XM3, I also have the MDR-Z7M2, MDR-1AM2, MDR-1000X, WH-1000XM3, MDR-CD900ST, MDR-SA3000, and MDR-EX800ST; I once had the MDR-1ADAC, MDR-7520, and the PCM-100), I wasn't too high with true wireless IEMs, much less those that don't have aptX and LDAC. But when I wore them, paired them with my iPhone 8 Plus, and fired up some songs via Apple Music...hot d*mn! My jaw literally dropped to the floor!

I kid you not when I say this: I even enjoyed listening to the iPhone 8 Plus + Apple Music + WF-1000XM3 than the NW-WM1A + 8-core SPC cables with 4.4mm plug + CIEMs! Even though Sony advertises these as having 6mm dynamic drivers, they don't sound like a typical DD IEM. They have this space and tranparent/clear sound that is akin to BA-specced IEMs, and yet they retain that characteristic DD bass grunt/growl.

Having listened to lots of IEMs (BA/DD/hybrids) these past years, I am not that easily surprised anymore when demoing IEMs. That's why I had the surprise of my life when I first listened to then: wireless IEMs shouldn't sound this good. But they do. And I honestly don't know how Sony was able to do it.

Sony is indeed back in the audio game!!! :beyersmile:

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #214 of 1,494
I wonder if most of the impressions we hear are with DSEE HX on or off? :thinking:

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #215 of 1,494
Not at all..very similar to IEr-Z1R sound signature. Of course, it is not exactly the same thing but very close. WF-1000XM3 is a bit grainy, rough, and less smooth but very close to IER-Z1R after EQ.

I agree with this but then I find that all 4 Sony phones that I have in my sig share a basic sound sig that the 2 Z1R then take to clearly higher but again slightly different levels

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #216 of 1,494
I agree with this but then I find that all 4 Sony phones that I have in my sig share a basic sound sig that the 2 Z1R then take to clearly higher but again slightly different levels
I know what you mean...to get that extra bit, you have to pay $2000 more...:k701smile:

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #217 of 1,494
Aug 15, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #218 of 1,494
Officially joining the hype train! :o2smile:

48544478741_9ff948b86e.jpg

Before trying them, I had very low expectations. While I am a big Sony fan (apart from the NW-WM1A and the just-purchased WF-1000XM3, I also have the MDR-Z7M2, MDR-1AM2, MDR-1000X, WH-1000XM3, MDR-CD900ST, MDR-SA3000, and MDR-EX800ST; I once had the MDR-1ADAC, MDR-7520, and the PCM-100), I wasn't too high with true wireless IEMs, much less those that don't have aptX and LDAC. But when I wore them, paired them with my iPhone 8 Plus, and fired up some songs via Apple Music...hot d*mn! My jaw literally dropped to the floor!

I kid you not when I say this: I even enjoyed listening to the iPhone 8 Plus + Apple Music + WF-1000XM3 than the NW-WM1A + 8-core SPC cables with 4.4mm plug + CIEMs! Even though Sony advertises these as having 6mm dynamic drivers, they don't sound like a typical DD IEM. They have this space and tranparent/clear sound that is akin to BA-specced IEMs, and yet they retain that characteristic DD bass grunt/growl.

Having listened to lots of IEMs (BA/DD/hybrids) these past years, I am not that easily surprised anymore when demoing IEMs. That's why I had the surprise of my life when I first listened to then: wireless IEMs shouldn't sound this good. But they do. And I honestly don't know how Sony was able to do it.

Sony is indeed back in the audio game!!! :beyersmile:

Agree. Pretty amazing what they achieved with a single 6mm DD. Outstanding clarity and separation, TWS or not.

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #219 of 1,494
I have

Here you are!

I went to go copy to your EQ settings and found out that I did the exact same settings, including the Bath Boss.

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #220 of 1,494
I have

Here you are!

I went to go copy to your EQ settings and found out that I did the exact same settings, including the Clear Bass setting.

Aug 16, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #222 of 1,494
Comply AudioPro SmartCore, which can be induced to fit a range of phones. I asked CA about the specs on the diameter of the Melomanias and then matched it with the best Comply option. I am still using the original CA foamies, and I have an extra set because I had to return and rebuy the Melomanias (my first pair had an issue). But I tried the Complys on for size and they fit. But, alas, they do not fit in the case due to their "bulby" shape. Of course, since the Melomanias give you 7-8 hours without a charge (rated at 9), there's that. I've decided to live with it, once my original foamies fall apart. Also, the ones that come with the CAs are small, so may not seal for anyone with a larger ear canal. They work great for me.

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #223 of 1,494
Comply AudioPro SmartCore, which can be induced to fit a range of phones. I asked CA about the specs on the diameter of the Melomanias and then matched it with the best Comply option. I am still using the original CA foamies, and I have an extra set because I had to return and rebuy the Melomanias (my first pair had an issue). But I tried the Complys on for size and they fit. But, alas, they do not fit in the case due to their "bulby" shape. Of course, since the Melomanias give you 7-8 hours without a charge (rated at 9), there's that. I've decided to live with it, once my original foamies fall apart. Also, the ones that come with the CAs are small, so may not seal for anyone with a larger ear canal. They work great for me.
Interesting. Thanks very much for that. I did look at the SmartCore range before, but didn't think they would fit as they supposedly only go up to 6.5mm nozzles, whereas the Melomanias have a 7mm nozzle. I guess they stretch enough to fit.

I'm looking for larger foam tips, as I much prefer the sound of CAs foam tips compared to their silicone tips, but they're just too small for me to maintain a good seal in the ear.

In the meantime, I wonder if the Comply Custom Jaybird Isolation foam tips might work? The Isolation tips are a more traditional 'bullet' shape. I read somewhere that the Jaybird X2 tips fit on the Melomanias, and I believe some of the Jaybird range have nozzles up to 6.5mm (and the custom Complys fit *all* the Jaybird range).

Assuming they do fit the Melomanias' nozzle, I reckon the medium size might also fit in the case, because the Spinfit CP155 (medium) do fit in the Melomanias' case, and they are 11mm long and 12mm wide. The Comply Jaybird medium tips are slightly shorter (10.67mm) and only everso slightly wider (12.45mm).

You definitely wouldn't get away with the large, but even the medium Comply Isolation tips are bound to be much larger than the tiny foam tips that CA supply. CA are in the process of testing larger foam tips, but they won't give a date as to when they will release them.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #224 of 1,494
Sounds good. Not sure where you found the 7 mm nozzle spec. I looked at the CA site, and that isn't mentioned on the specs page. I checked with CA's service rep/seller in the USA and he didn't say they were 7mm, I don't think, but I can't find the email in which he did tell me the specific nozzle spec. And I remember thinking at the time, "great, the adjustable Comply will fit." I already had several large bore Complys on hand and none were large enough for the Melos. But you may have hit on something with the Jaybird tips and I might try them as well. Getting tips other than OEM to fit in TW cases is a challenge, that's for sure. When CA sells the larger foam tips, that will be great. I am lucky enough that the ones that come with the Melos work for my small ear canals. But to me, not even close between silicon and foam in terms of the sound. I have some weird bi-flange silicones that work with the Melos, but I just prefer the way the foam tips modify the sound, as well as feel more comfortable.

So I ordered 3 pair of the Jaybird Complys. Thanks! They could be a perfect match. Hope so. I will need to replace the two from CA I have eventually. If these fit in the case, great. The other ones I bought fit and work but too bulky for the case. Just realized this is the Sony thread. Sorry for the diversion. Will take it to PM from this point.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #225 of 1,494
I have

I went to go copy to your EQ settings and found out that I did the exact same settings, including the Clear Bass setting.
Yeah, now you have a IEr-Z1r junior paying 1/10 of the price. IER-Z1R has wider sound stage but WF-1000XM3 is not too behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back