Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 10, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #166 of 1,494
I much more prefer the new Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, which I bought 2 weeks ago. These sound really great and much better than my previous E8, They perfectly isolate my ears and auto-connect to my devices. Sennheiser is a headphone manufactor (I bought my first Sennheiser headphone in 1977..) and they unterstand their business quite good.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #167 of 1,494
That's great to hear. In the official Sony WF-1000XM3 thread. Lol

Seriously though, I love Sennheiser too, Have fond memories of owning the CX300, HD-25 II, HD600, HD660s and looking to get the HD700 at some point.

Aug 10, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #168 of 1,494
I’ve been having strange issues with button presses since I received them a few days ago.

If I press the left earbud button, it will always register. I know this as there is a tone, or beep, that plays when I press it. The left is set to control NC/ambient sound. The problem is that it doesn’t always change the mode.

For example, I press the button, I hear a tone, and it will say “ambient sound - on”. I press again, and I will hear a tone, but that’s it. I can still Hear my surroundings so I know that it did not cycle to the next mode, namely “ambient sound off”. Sometimes it won’t let me switch to “noise cancelling”.

At times, it requires only one press to work. Other times, I have to press anywhere up to 10 tiles. And then there are times where it just won’t change modes.

However, every press always makes the tone confirmation.

Any ideas what’s going on?
I had this same issue. I think you're pressing it for too long, even though it doesn't feel like it. Try tapping it a little more quickly, because I think it's starting to register as a 'press and hold' if you touch it for even just a tiny bit longer than a tap.

Aug 10, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #169 of 1,494
Great thanks, won't go off all half cocked buying $40-50 worth of tips before they arrive :wink:

edit:
Been listening to various metal albums/etc for the last 2 hours and haven't had to take the XB50AP out, still comfy - so defo won't be pulling the trigger prior to new buds showing up lol..
I'm really glad they fit you well! I can't get either the XB50AP or WH-1000XM3 to be comfortable for me, which sucks because they both sound so good. The way it rests on the outside of the ear irritates the crap out of my ears for some reason. I guess I have weirdly shaped ears. Had to settle for the 1More Stylish True Wireless.

Aug 10, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #170 of 1,494
So I got these today. First impressions, it is a typical Sony product. Looks good paper but it just sucks so much in many different area’s.

Now the benchmark is very low as I am comparing it against my Powerbeats Pro (yes, Beats by Dre dre :p).
+ sound quality
+ noise cancellation
- terrible controls
- sync issues (if i press play, my right ears has audio slightly faster. The Powerbeats Pro doesn’t have this issue.)
- looks horrible (is Sony trying to do an Airpods?)
- not stable in the ears (do not try to exercise with these)
- cannot use it when it rains
- no volume controls.

I paid $230 and I really feel I paid too much for it with these big shortcomings. It is not a premium quality product. Sure, the Powerbeats Pro sounds worse and has less isolation but it has no big weakness.

I will try to use them for 14 days and see if I change my mind about sending it back.
SQ is so so. Obviously I'm not a Sony fan boi here (or trying to market for Sony). Some people seem have all Sony in their sig?

Power Beats pro isn't really better looking. And what's $230 if one has the Utopia and DAVE? Chump change. I kid, I kid..

I had issues with the touch controls. Small iem area touches are awkward. I was thinking maybe it's swipe upwards, which I had better success with.

To me it is clearly a quality product and the rain and volume issues can’t be a surprise unless you haven’t done your homework before ordering. Fit is so personal a thing so in my opinion can’t be counted as a minus against the product itself in general, same goes for looks, I find that they look stylish but would have liked them to be smaller. This is clearly not the product for you. The controls are perfect for my use.
Oh please. Fit is a personal thing? Touch controls are obviously not good. You're not being realistic here.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #171 of 1,494
SQ is so so. Obviously I'm not a Sony fan boi here (or trying to market for Sony). Some people seem have all Sony in their sig?

Power Beats pro isn't really better looking. And what's $230 if one has the Utopia and DAVE? Chump change. I kid, I kid..

I had issues with the touch controls. Small iem area touches are awkward. I was thinking maybe it's swipe upwards, which I had better success with.

Oh please. Fit is a personal thing? Touch controls are obviously not good. You're not being realistic here.

Yes fit is probably the most individual thing with in ears (there is a reason for custom fit in ears) and I much prefer touch controls to physical buttons so I’m being very realistic

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #172 of 1,494
I much more prefer the new Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, which I bought 2 weeks ago. These sound really great and much better than my previous E8, They perfectly isolate my ears and auto-connect to my devices. Sennheiser is a headphone manufactor (I bought my first Sennheiser headphone in 1977..) and they unterstand their business quite good.

I think the Sennheiser sounds a bit better too, except all the little tiny bugs like the battery drainage issue and poor battery life shows that since Sennheiser is a headphone company they are falling short on the gadget/tech know-how to make a truely great true wireless earphone.

The true wireless earphone is a unique product space which requires both headphone/earphone knowledge as well as technology/gadget know-hows - this is plenty apparent when you try enough true wireless earphones and find that most product never truely checks boxes on both sides of the column - companies with strong tech background usually don't produce earbuds that sounds good, while the ones which are strong in audio cannot make one which is user friendly as well as iron out all the software bugs. This is the space where Sony actually wins as Sony is both a company with just as long of a history in producing headphones as well as being a gadget company, this is why the 1000Xm3 is actually the best all rounder product where you don't have to sacrafice much or pick one over the other ie sound quality for less gadget feature, or more gadget features for a poorer sounding earphone.

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #173 of 1,494
Well I am not sure what people were expecting. In comparison to Bose, Apple this sounds way better AND NOISE CANCELS. I am not sure that there is any other product in the market that CAN check those boxes. I just feel forums have become an area for bashing products. Somehow negative publicity gets more "likes". If you like some other product in the current market please go ahead and use that one. No one had held your soles to the fire here asking you to use the Sony's. If you feel that you are missing out on the Sony's wait till you get your hands on one and I am sure they will impress you unless you are comparing it to some $2000 IEMs. This product delivers what it has promised. PERIOD!

Aug 10, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #175 of 1,494
Released today in Prague, the are not loud enough for me too , fit goes to sennheiser true momentum. I was trying then out in the tram and in a mall, and after changing back to sennheiser I must say nc works very well..

Aug 10, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #176 of 1,494
Released today in Prague, the are not loud enough for me too , fit goes to sennheiser true momentum. I was trying then out in the tram and in a mall, and after changing back to sennheiser I must say nc works very well..

You are not the first to find them not loud enough which I simply don’t understand. I use them at 60% or less and that is plenty loud enough for me, any louder and I would damage my hearing listening to it.

Aug 10, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #177 of 1,494

There are two sets of volume controls. One within the Sony app and one that is system-wide, controlled by the volume clickers on your phone. Might want to ensure that the volume in the Sony app is not too low.

Aug 10, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #178 of 1,494
I am really having a hard time getting these to fit. My B&O E8 and old Etymotic E4's fit no problem - so I know it is not my ears.
Using the included medium tips which were mounted to them in the box. Tried all the other included tips - no

They do not go in - and when they do are not particularly comfortable nor do they make a good seal.
As a result the NC is not that good.

And yes - I looked at Sony's diagram and am inserting them facing down and then rotating to horizontal

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #179 of 1,494
Well new update - getting these to fit is no longer an issue.
The left ear bud is now dead as a doornail.
I guess I've just joined the crowd

I think Sony has a problem

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #180 of 1,494
This is why we don't early adopt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back