Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #76 of 1,494
Have you tried making sure they're un-paired, then opening the lid (with the earbuds in), and holding the case close to the device you want to pair with?

You need to hold your fingers on the touch pad for both the left and the right earbud until you hear the "Bluetooth pairing" clip. Then you should be able to choose it from the list of Bluetooth devices as normal.

Thanks for that, i'l try that later when home. I'm one of those guys that rips open the packaging and tosses the manual out and goes straight for the gadget itself lol

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #77 of 1,494
Listening now from 1Z with NFC pairing. Can only use SBC for this combo but it still sounds very good, surprisingly so. And the large SpinFit tips fit fine in the case.

NFC pairing is actually very interesting. As mentioned before it is the case that does the paring and pairing can be done with the buds in ear and the case several feet away so there must be some kind of wireless communication between the case and the buds.

I’ve listened about 3 hours both from an iPhone and from 1Z with ANC active and the battery indicator in the Sony app states 70% battery remaining. At 3 hours my Earin M2 would be just about dead.

Would have loved to have the XM3 in the form factor of the M2 though.

When walking with the XM3 there is a very audible thunk in the ear, something that is virtually not present with the M2 and I’m using the same large SpinFit with both

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #78 of 1,494
Just to add to what many folks have posted already: these are delightful truly wireless IEMs. They sound great, the ANC works well enough to muffle lots of distracting ambient noise, and they connect quickly and reliably (over a few days of testing so far). For those familiar with their over-ear big brothers, the frequency response of these guys is a lot more neutral out of the box. I've also found the fit with the stock silicone tips to be fairly snug and comfortable enough.

That said, in my experience the ANC is not on the level of the over-ear XM3s, which is understandable. It's still great for listening to music and podcasts during a busy commute, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say about my AirPods (seriously, how do people listen to these when out and about?) or my Xelentos. I'm very pleased with the sound quality out of these, too. It's fun and engaging without being muddy or bass heavy, and when combined with ANC, it lets me escape into my music no matter how busy and noisy the world gets. Folks wanting to compare only to the sound quality of these to other mid-range wired IEMs may end up disappointed, but for me, the magic of these is that they're effectively super-small over-ear XM3s.

The only real complaints I have that I haven't seen mentioned yet are that the voice prompts are too loud (I know I can turn them off, but still), and that these create a slight 'thumping' sound in my ear when I walk quickly. I'm going to experiment with other tips this weekend to see if I can attenuate the second point.

I've noticed the spin fits cause these to wobble when walking. The symbios hold fine for me but if I laugh I notice they pop out ever so slightly and I lose my seal. These could do with a ear hook option for some tips.

Aug 3, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #79 of 1,494
Have been using them in the garden mowing the lawn and using an electric trimmer. ANC clearly cuts down some of the machine noise but not nearly as much as the full size XM3. Been using SpinFit and TrippleComfort tips. I get best fit and best sound with SpinFit but also a very noticable thump every time I take a step. With the TrippleComfort there is absolutely no thump but the left ear fit is not as good and the sound is a bit duller.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #80 of 1,494
Have been using them in the garden moving the lawn and using an electric trimmer. ANC clearly cuts down some of the machine noise but not nearly as much as the full size XM3. Been using SpinFit and TrippleComfort tips. I get best fit and best sound with SpinFit but also a very noticable thump every time I take a step. With the TrippleComfort there is absolutely no thump but the left ear fit is not as good and the sound is a bit duller.
Interesting.. the TripleComfort tips you refer to are these part foam, like a hybrid type tip? Better isolation with these?
I’m very interested to see what the Comply foam tips are like with these in combination with the ANC and whether this combination would reach over ear xm3 levels of noise reduction..

Aug 3, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #81 of 1,494
Have been using them in the garden moving the lawn and using an electric trimmer. ANC clearly cuts down some of the machine noise but not nearly as much as the full size XM3. Been using SpinFit and TrippleComfort tips. I get best fit and best sound with SpinFit but also a very noticable thump every time I take a step. With the TrippleComfort there is absolutely no thump but the left ear fit is not as good and the sound is a bit duller.
Which Spinfit tip are you using please?

Aug 3, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #82 of 1,494
Aug 3, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #83 of 1,494
Interesting.. the TripleComfort tips you refer to are these part foam, like a hybrid type tip? Better isolation with these?
I’m very interested to see what the Comply foam tips are like with these in combination with the ANC and whether this combination would reach over ear xm3 levels of noise reduction..

Yes they have a foam like dome that is much more durable than Comply and a silicone core a bit like SpinFit

Aug 3, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #84 of 1,494
Have now been using them 4 1/2 hours straight at about 60% volume and aac from an iPhone with ANC on and the battery guage say 50% so it looks like they more than live up to Sony’s claim of 6 hours with ANC and 8 hours without.

Been for a 2 hour walk in a medium breeze and there is some wind noise but not as bad as most cabled iem’s I’ve used and not really a problem.

Edit: after another 30 minutes the battery on the left unit has dropped to 20% but the right unit is til at 50%

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #86 of 1,494
Thanks. Which tips would you say provide the best passive noise isolation?

Probably the Tripple Comfort isolate more the SpinFit if you get a good seal

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #87 of 1,494
Woah there, there is a lot of hype behind this product let me start by warning you of possible quality control issues.

I purchased mine from Best Buy, they were great the first day, but then trouble ensued.

[*]My calls started dropping.
[*]My voice started dropping from the calls.
[*]The left earbud stopped working completely and the light on the ear bud will not turn on.

They lasted 4 days. I attempted to reset them by holding them in the case,per the instruction manual, and it appears the left ear bud is completely dead. Even after fully charging the case the light on the bud wont turn on. I don't know if it's the humidity or condensation, as they haven't been exposed to direct contact with water.

I will be exchanging these, but if I hear others with similar issues I will have to get a refund.

I'll keep you guys posted.

UPDATE: The left earbud started working again after spending all day in the case charging up. I still returned them because I don't want to live in fear of them randomly dying again.

Pros:
*They were great for driving and masking the sound of the road.
*Software EQ with adjustable noise isolation settings.
*Acceptable-good SQ depending on ambient level setting with ANC being the best and the highest ambient noise distorting the lower end.

Cons:
Disconnections, no volume control, no water resistance, no dual bluetooth seamless switching.

Verdict:
I'll be keeping my QC 35 1s. Without the seamless bluetooth switching I don't really need them in my life. Had they been more water resistant I would've used them for running. ANC in an earbud is cool, but it isn't worth $230 USD.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #88 of 1,494
Everyone who mentions the Tripple Comfort - are these the name of the included Sony tips - or rather a brand like Spinfit.
I googled however only found Sony's tips referred to as Tripple Comfort

Aug 3, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #89 of 1,494
Everyone who mentions the Tripple Comfort - are these the name of the included Sony tips - or rather a brand like Spinfit.
I googled however only found Sony's tips referred to as Tripple Comfort

Tripple Comfort is a Sony tip and I assume it is one of the tips included. I had bought some loose a couple of years ago

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #90 of 1,494
Woah there, there is a lot of hype behind this product let me start by warning you of possible quality control issues.

I purchased mine from Best Buy, they were great the first day, but then trouble ensued.

[*]My calls started dropping.
[*]My voice started dropping from the calls.
[*]The left earbud stopped working completely and the light on the ear bud will not turn on.

They lasted 4 days. I attempted to reset them by holding them in the case,per the instruction manual, and it appears the left ear bud is completely dead. Even after fully charging the case the light on the bud wont turn on. I don't know if it's the humidity or condensation, as they haven't been exposed to direct contact with water.

I will be exchanging these, but if I hear others with similar issues I will have to get a refund.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Yeah, there's a lot of hype out there. I was mainly interested in the ANC in an iem, but it seems I expected more than possible. Creating similar level of ANC as the full-sized doesn't seem possible on an iem.

I think it's a pseudo ANC like on the Beats put out. Puts out a wave in the low frequency without any real active detection an cancellation. Other than ANC, I could care less about TW. Wires sound much better and much more convenient for me. And calling it XM3 is just pure marketing.

I have 65t and it serves me fine, I really don't want a collection of TW iems as I won't be swapping out mediocre sound quality TW iems. SQ isn't really good on these, and certainly not better than others out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back