Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Aug 3, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #91 of 1,494
My pair arrives on Monday. My criteria is as follows - if they sound better than my B&O E8's and have ANC in the same ball park as my B&O H9i for airplane travel - then I will be happy.

For reference listening I have my Stax, Utopia and Z1R.

I have fairly basic requirements for these.

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #92 of 1,494
My pair arrives on Monday. My criteria is as follows - if they sound better than my B&O E8's and have ANC in the same ball park as my B&O H9i for airplane travel - then I will be happy.

For reference listening I have my Stax, Utopia and Z1R.

I have fairly basic requirements for these.

They will not have ANC to that level

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #93 of 1,494
They will not have ANC to that level

Hmmmm
My H9i is used exclusively for airline travel. I'm getting tired of carrying them and would like to carry earbuds instead

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #94 of 1,494
Here we go, some measurements. For some reason I get these squiggly artifacts. I'm guessing there's EQ being actively applied?

With ANC, you can see there are slight difference in response. Most noticeable is the bump in the area of 5-7k. In general, the response curves slightly more in various areas compared to ANC off. Personally, I prefer the sound without ANC on, and this is opposite of full sized WHXM3 (which sounds better with ANC on).

Without ANC
WF-1000XM3 without ANC.jpg

With ANC
WF-1000XM3 ANC.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #95 of 1,494
Here we go, some measurements. For some reason I get these squiggly artifacts. I'm guessing there's EQ being actively applied?

With ANC, you can see there are slight difference in response. Most noticeable is the bump in the area of 5-7k. In general, the response curves slightly more in various areas compared to ANC off. Personally, I prefer the sound without ANC on, and this is opposite of full sized WHXM3 (which sounds better with ANC on).

Without ANC

With ANC

That dip at 800-1k Hz is a little disturbing. Is it that audible?

Aug 3, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #96 of 1,494
There no such issue shown actually, and you're not interpreting the graph correctly. These graphs shouldn't be perfectly flat, there are certain target response curves that are being strived for and it's within the ballpark.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #97 of 1,494
I have never buy over $50 true wireless iems before, because of the sound quality that can't match decent wired iem.

I dont expect quality of my wired sony m7 level, but i have semi tws (use with trn BT20) currently, tfz no 3 or kanas pro.
My question is this sony wf 1000xm3 has better Sound quality than tfz no 3 / kanas pro / something equivalent.
Im very familiar with sony in house signature since i have many sony iems too, including ex1000

I want pure tws but all this time but there are no tws that could pass my expectation so far

And anyone have frequency response of this WF 1000xm3?

Thanks guys

anyone can make comparison with wired iem? i just care with sound quality and wireless ability, so ANC tech just a bonus for me.

Without ANC

With ANC

hey Thanks for providing this! So indeed they are a bit bass light and remains clear on lower highs. They do lacks of sub bass extension and fast roll off. Other than that graph looks quite nice to me, thick mids, nice high mids and full lower highs but that peak point on 3khz like MH755, different from sony's high end iem that always cut 3khz section to prevent from shouty female vocals on high volume.

This is pretty normal for me for iems, its not dip, a lot of iem lowest frequency points are around that range actually

Aug 3, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #98 of 1,494
anyone can make comparison with wired iem? i just care with sound quality and wireless ability, so ANC tech just a bonus for me.

hey Thanks for providing this! So indeed they are a bit bass light and remains clear on lower highs. They do lacks of sub bass extension and fast roll off. Other than that graph looks quite nice to me, thick mids, nice high mids and full lower highs but that peak point on 3khz like MH755, different from sony's high end iem that always cut 3khz section to prevent from shouty female vocals on high volume.
If you read my impression from an earlier posting I've stated that the wired iem performance is generally better than true wireless, even the hyped WFXM3.

Don't read so much into the measurement. It's one of the cases of the measurement meets a ball part response, but sound isn't that good. There is signficant bass to my ears, but it's not tight, it's a bit loose. I think it's due to the limited power it's getting through the on-board amp, and likely some EQ is applied. More I try these TW iems, I'm starting to see the limitation is the weak amp module inside the circuit.

I want to see a THD measurement of these. Unfortunately, I don't currently have a good enough mic for that.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #99 of 1,494
If you read my impression from an earlier posting I've stated that the wired iem performance is generally better than true wireless, even the hyped WFXM3.

Don't read so much into the measurement. It's one of the cases of the measurement meets a ball part response, but sound isn't that good. There is signficant bass to my ears, but it's not tight, it's a bit loose. I think it's due to the limited power it's getting through the on-board amp, and likely some EQ is applied. More I try these TW iems, I'm starting to see the limitation is the weak amp module inside the circuit.

I want to see a THD measurement of these. Unfortunately, I don't currently have a good enough mic for that.

Thanks for your prompt reply, so i guess i just skip TWS until they really catch up the quality with some decent wired iems. Not hoping that high but at least on good level. You just saving my money, if i can treat you a hotdog and coffee i will. Thanks

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #100 of 1,494
Hmmmm
My H9i is used exclusively for airline travel. I'm getting tired of carrying them and would like to carry earbuds instead

I’ll try them on a plane at the end of the month against the full size XM3

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #101 of 1,494
Ambient mode is much clearer and more natural than both Beoplay E8 and Earin M2.

BT range outside is at least 15 meters, left my phone on the porch table while I mowed the lawn and no problem reaching the entire garden. Indoors through solid brick walls the range is probably 5-8 meters

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #102 of 1,494
Mine died too. After disconnecting because of range from my pc, i put them back in the case. Took out the right side first and it was connected almost immediately, and the left side just doesn't work anymore.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #103 of 1,494
I send my sennheiser TWM back to amazon because the headphones died after 4 days in the case...and if the case battery was empty and you put the headphones back in they did not recognise the case and stayed connected to my phone until they also died.

how to the Sony behave in such a situation?

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #104 of 1,494
Hi all, been using these for 2 weeks (releases early in my region), and I’m torn. I LOVE some aspects, and really struggle with others. Perhaps you’ve got some ideas on the issues?

Background: First truly wireless I bought. Coming from Bose QC20i. Top priority for me was ANC and wireless/compact (can fit in a pocket). Overears are too bulky for me.

TL;DR: Absolutely love them if connectivity issues can get resolved. Definitely not for calls. So far, more frustration than enjoyment.

PROS:
  • Truly wireless, light and compact (charging case easily fits in jeans pocket)
  • I don’t feel like they’re too big, stick out of ears, etc.
  • Music and ANC is great. I’m no audiophile, but they beat my Bose QC20s. Everything from classical to EDM sounds beautiful
  • The app has great EQ functionality to customise for your pretences
  • Battery life - LOVE the charging case
  • COMPLY SmartCore fit the nozzle AND fit in the charger case = even better passive NC
  • FYIW, they look sleek, as does the case
CONS:
  • [edit: was wrong, was corrected] Correct me if wrong, but I think proprietary charging cable?
  • Phone call quality is awful. I mean downright unusable. I can hear fine, but multiple attempts have shown the mic isn’t capable enough. Multiple times I’ve heard “hello? I can’t hear you clearly,” only to angrily rush to switch my phone to run the call through the phone and then they could hear me fine.
  • Connectivity issues is a mixed bag. Earphones are in with ANC on and a podcast playing. Headphone icon and battery life is shown as usual on phone screen (iPhone 7). I pause the podcast and dial a number on my phone, press “call,” it immediately goes out via my phone. I hang up, check Bluetooth settings, earphones are “connected,” play the podcast (to make sure they’re really connected), dial again, goes via the phone. And again and again.
  • Phone call comes in, earphones in case. Take out earphones and put them in (hear “connected” and “battery fully charged”), try to answer call, it answers via phone, NOT earphones.
  • Occasionally tapping the left bud (to change setting from ANC to non-ANC) doesn’t do anything. I hear a chime that would normally mean it’s changing settings, but it won’t progress out of ANC, or out of awareness mode, etc.
Went to Sony Service Centre today and, infuriatingly, they LAUGHED and said they’ve heard these issues. That I have to occasionally factory reset them (tried, no improvement). Said I could send them in to a technician, but would take over a week and that the technician would only do the factory reset as well.

Any ideas on these issues?
Happy to answer questions on my experience.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #105 of 1,494
Hi all, been using these for 2 weeks (releases early in my region), and I’m torn. I LOVE some aspects, and really struggle with others. Perhaps you’ve got some ideas on the issues?

Background: First truly wireless I bought. Coming from Bose QC20i. Top priority for me was ANC and wireless/compact (can fit in a pocket). Overears are too bulky for me.

TL;DR: Absolutely love them if connectivity issues can get resolved. Definitely not for calls. So far, more frustration than enjoyment.

PROS:
  • Truly wireless, light and compact (charging case easily fits in jeans pocket)
  • I don’t feel like they’re too big, stick out of ears, etc.
  • Music and ANC is great. I’m no audiophile, but they beat my Bose QC20s. Everything from classical to EDM sounds beautiful
  • The app has great EQ functionality to customise for your pretences
  • Battery life - LOVE the charging case
  • COMPLY SmartCore fit the nozzle AND fit in the charger case = even better passive NC
  • FYIW, they look sleek, as does the case
CONS:
  • Correct me if wrong, but I think proprietary charging cable? I try to travel with as few cables as possible
  • Phone call quality is awful. I mean downright unusable. I can hear fine, but multiple attempts have shown the mic isn’t capable enough. Multiple times I’ve heard “hello? I can’t hear you clearly,” only to angrily rush to switch my phone to run the call through the phone and then they could hear me fine.
  • Connectivity issues is a mixed bag. Earphones are in with ANC on and a podcast playing. Headphone icon and battery life is shown as usual on phone screen (iPhone 7). I pause the podcast and dial a number on my phone, press “call,” it immediately goes out via my phone. I hang up, check Bluetooth settings, earphones are “connected,” play the podcast (to make sure they’re really connected), dial again, goes via the phone. And again and again.
  • Phone call comes in, earphones in case. Take out earphones and put them in (hear “connected” and “battery fully charged”), try to answer call, it answers via phone, NOT earphones.
  • Occasionally tapping the left bud (to change setting from ANC to non-ANC) doesn’t do anything. I hear a chime that would normally mean it’s changing settings, but it won’t progress out of ANC, or out of awareness mode, etc.
Went to Sony Service Centre today and, infuriatingly, they LAUGHED and said they’ve heard these issues. That I have to occasionally factory reset them (tried, no improvement). Said I could send them in to a technician, but would take over a week and that the technician would only do the factory reset as well.

Any ideas on these issues?
Happy to answer questions on my experience.

I charge them with a standard mico usb cable with a micro usb to usb c adapter (only travel with that one cable and 4 tiny adaptors to charge different devices)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back