Official Sony WF-1000XM3 Thread - Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,426 of 1,494
I measured the frequency response of XM4s and uploaded to Squiglink, including measurements with and without ANC, and with each of the preset EQ settings (there are 8 šŸ„µ).

https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,Sony_WF-1000XM4_(ANC_on)

graph - 2021-06-09T071622.685.png

graph - 2021-06-09T071644.169.png

graph - 2021-06-09T071707.343.png

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #1,427 of 1,494
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,428 of 1,494
Definitely the treble boost is a good one - the XM3 were very good acceptable to EQ-ing, so there is hope!
Also notable that LDAC is still available even when using the EQs (at least the presets, haven't tested customs yet). The XM3 headphones downgraded to SBC when EQ was used.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,431 of 1,494
Also notable that LDAC is still available even when using the EQs (at least the presets, haven't tested customs yet). The XM3 headphones downgraded to SBC when EQ was used.
Thanks for the measurements and video! Looks like a pretty laid-back signature which could be well suited for on-the-go listening.
The treble boost preset is also pretty close to your target - do you like it better than default?

Also I checked again and with the current firmware WF-1000XM3 support EQ, DSEE and AAC at the same time. (Not sure about WH-1000XM3 though.)

I guess I will have to try these XM4s after the price has dropped a few $.

Jun 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #1,432 of 1,494
Also I checked again and with the current firmware WF-1000XM3 support EQ, DSEE and AAC at the same time. (Not sure about WH-1000XM3 though.)
Yeah, the stock signature is pretty warm / dark for my tastes, the Treble Boost EQ (or some custom EQ in between) is better for me so far.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #1,433 of 1,494
My XM4 will be here today. I'm a little concerned looking at the frequency response. Was hoping for a refinement on the XM3 sound, this seems to be just a different tuning. Darker than I would have expected. Most reviewers praise the sound, but it's also only really been reviewed by tech sites, not a ton of people with more extensive experience describing sound.

Of course measurements are not everything, but the Galaxy Buds Pro definitely measure better. I'm sure the ANC and other features will be superior with the Sony though.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,434 of 1,494
My XM4 will be here today. I'm a little concerned looking at the frequency response. Was hoping for a refinement on the XM3 sound, this seems to be just a different tuning. Darker than I would have expected. Most reviewers praise the sound, but it's also only really been reviewed by tech sites, not a ton of people with more extensive experience describing sound.

Of course measurements are not everything, but the Galaxy Buds Pro definitely measure better. I'm sure the ANC and other features will be superior with the Sony though.
Galaxy Buds pro had emphasis in the highs someplace I wasn't satisfied with, and with XM4 looking on the dark side, I would want a happy medium. Neither are neutral in my books. Over emphasis and lack of.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #1,435 of 1,494

Thing I loved about XM3's sound was how enjoyable it was and the brightness of it....in a good way. It'll suck if this model ends up sounding darker...

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,436 of 1,494
Actually the frequency response looks like a good base to finetune to your ears with the built-in EQ.

I am pretty sure that these will sound incredible when tuned a bit to preference (without having to do drastic changes or adjust small regions).

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,438 of 1,494

Can you expand on what you mean regarding "measuring better" ? Is there a "best" measurement? I wouldn't be asking if you hadn't stated that the XM4 is not more "refined" because of a measurement. Maybe I missed the memo that there was a new measurement system that reflected refinement.

You're probably 100% totally right though. Sony probably just decided to make these equal or worse than the previous generation... just because that makes sense. Lets create a new chipset while we are at it because the ANC wasn't already very good.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,439 of 1,494
Sorry, I'm talking about what I tend to prefer, obviously this is purely subjective. Out of the box the Galaxy Buds Pro are closer to what I tend to prefer. That doesn't always translate as far a how technically proficient they may be. The XM3s measures more similar to that, the XM4 has quite a bit less energy from 2k onward really, out of the box they are too dark, I think.

Having only listened for an hour or so. All the way up through about 2000hz they are excellent, but I'm missing too much detail in the upper mids and above. Using the Treble Boost preset really opens them up a bit while keeping essentially the same bass through lower mids. But then some of the presence region and treble seems slightly grainy. Haven't listened enough to form a solid opinion or mess with the custom EQ settings.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #1,440 of 1,494
Something to consider with battery life:

ā€œ We received the product specifications for the new model WF1000XM4 you were inquiring about. It hasn't been released to the public yet but should by tomorrow or friday.

Here are the available operating times for the headphones:
LDAC AUTO - Noise canceling function: ON - Max. 3.5 hours
LDAC AUTO - Ambient Sound Mode: ON - Max. 3.5 hours
LDAC AUTO - Noise canceling and Ambient sound OFF - Max. 4 hours
LDAC OFF - Noise canceling function: ON - Max. 5 hours
LDAC OFF - Ambient Sound Mode: ON - Max. 4.5 hours
LDAC OFF - Noise canceling and Ambient sound OFF - Max. 6 hours
AAC AUTO - Noise canceling function: ON - Max. 6 hours
AAC AUTO - Ambient Sound Mode: ON - Max. 6 hours
AAC AUTO - Noise canceling and Ambient sound OFF - Max. 8 hours
AAC OFF - Noise canceling function: ON - Max. 8 hours
AAC OFF - Ambient Sound Mode: ON - Max. 8 hours