Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #4,233 of 4,314
Obviously, all the troubles I’ve had & Sony recommending how often to charge, ( use battery ) I’m going to go by that.

I just don’t use my Walkman’s now, or rarely ( As I think you know, I’m indoors. ) Not that i can’t use my Walkman’s indoors ! ( I would just rather listen to the quality of the DMP. )

As I said, now on my third cycle of listening to my whole music collection, with my DMP & if I use any of my audio equipment, i immediately can tell the difference.
I rarely use my walkmans now. Infact one dived into water and got damaged, but i don't care as it was more than 0 yqrs old device and disn't uite sound like my WM1A

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #4,235 of 4,314
Cross-posting from the 1AM2 Walkman thread. The discussion there is about the newest version of the software, 1.08 - released yesterday and how Sony is continuously improving their DSEE technology, etc. I posted:

I wish there was an explanation why Sony decided to stop updating the software on the DMP-Z1. It sounds like they are working hard making advances in their DSEE software and rolling that out to their Walkmans. Sure, they decided to stop making the DMP-Z1, but why also stop updating it, since 2018! Now, I listed to music in direct mode when using FLAC files, but I am curious to evaluating what their newest DSEE can to, sad that I can't do it on their absolute flagship.

Does anyone know Sony's position on why their flagship 8k device has stopped receiving updates?

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #4,236 of 4,314
Well, I may want to procure one, but no updates and the fact that all are used is putting me off.

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #4,237 of 4,314
Well, I may want to procure one, but no updates and the fact that all are used is putting me off.
One doesn't need updates when the device works well. There aren't many music formats nowadays other than ALAC, FLAC, DSD, wave AIFF and mp3 and aac. I think Windows media is dead as well for ape

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #4,238 of 4,314
One doesn't need updates when the device works well. There aren't many music formats nowadays other than ALAC, FLAC, DSD, wave AIFF and mp3 and aac. I think Windows media is dead as well for ape
Is this Sony worthwhile to get? I already have a Sony NW-WM1Z.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #4,239 of 4,314

I'd say that you need to hear from an owner of the DMP-Z1 and the 1Z. I don't have the 1Z, just the 1AM2.

For me the DMP-Z1 is the best piece of audio gear I have heard (the headphones themselves aside, of course), audio shows included. It sounds ridiculously good. There's an effortless, refined and satisfying weight to the notes. It adds an infectious richness to the sound, but just the right amount. Whatever it does with the bass complements the vocals perfectly. In combination with the MDR-Z1R it's playing my favorite tracks at a level I can only describe as unbelievable. And before this discovery I would have rated the HD-600 and ZMF headphones on OTL as the most satisfying experience. So it surprised me for sure.

I guess it can depend on the type of music you listen too as well. To me it excels with classical too, not just modern music, but I have not tried it with jazz, etc.

Best to try it first, see if it suits you. It's expensive enough that you'd want to make sure you're getting a good used unit anyway, so try to find something locally and demo it first.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #4,240 of 4,314
For me is the best sony gear i've owned. The sense lf space is even bigger than WM1A OG. And has made wonders with recordings that i conaidered bad...

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #4,241 of 4,314
I got the DMP after listening to it in the Sony store in Berlin, and that was with the downsampled DSD to flac 24-bit 88.2kHz, and it made very good impressions for me. The other reason I got it it is because I always wanted a Sony special edition device. I'm given the fact that it has two microSD card slots. Giving you the ability to expand the storage for the ever increasing music library.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #4,242 of 4,314
Cross-posting from the 1AM2 Walkman thread. The discussion there is about the newest version of the software, 1.08 - released yesterday and how Sony is continuously improving their DSEE technology, etc. I posted:

I wish there was an explanation why Sony decided to stop updating the software on the DMP-Z1. It sounds like they are working hard making advances in their DSEE software and rolling that out to their Walkmans. Sure, they decided to stop making the DMP-Z1, but why also stop updating it, since 2018! Now, I listed to music in direct mode when using FLAC files, but I am curious to evaluating what their newest DSEE can to, sad that I can't do it on their absolute flagship.

Does anyone know Sony's position on why their flagship 8k device has stopped receiving updates?
@Sonywalkmanuser 1AM2 research highted that new walkman is using a specialized AI DSP chip which allows for much faster and efficent processing. DMP-Z1 is lacking that chip.

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #4,243 of 4,314
@Sonywalkmanuser 1AM2 research highted that new walkman is using a specialized AI DSP chip which allows for much faster and efficent processing. DMP-Z1 is lacking that chip.
The chip on the walkmans it's not a cop processor. It is a digital signal processing processor to apply the sound effects play equalizer or. Vinyl provessor or DSEE. This crap doesn't make the use of your face faster. That is the responsibility of the CPU. That is another chip. Also, the Walmarts are android and DMP is custom OS

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #4,244 of 4,314
I don't think that any modern DAP has two microSD slots for more expansion friendliness.
I don't see any problem that the DMP is not being updated. As long so very bad box pop out and the device works fine. It's just fine for me. It doesn't need any more updates. It sounds wonderfully as it is, Andy M2 walkmans our luck in the power that the DMP is able to deliver

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #4,245 of 4,314
I believed as many users here OK some like streaming services some may not like in my case because I have a very large music library.
I see more positive things on the DMP than jusg lacking a certain chip or SW updates...
I don't need to be constantly connected in the Internet to listen to my music, and then be interrupted by some notifications
I don't need to worry about so called security updates and the potential of being of solid within five years
I like my DMP I can add as many music as I want. It has two micro, SD card slots, and each one supports up to 2 TB. Plus the 200s, 56 GB internal memory.
Did you sit in the face is so easy to use
Quality is one of the best I have ever heard. It sounds almost realistic and can drive my focal Utopia on my Sony see one hour to its best.
The volume reacts instantly to changes and finally control I like that it has separate circuits for digital and analogue
According to photos by @withigir the battery replacements seems to be very easy, but you only need to open the device to do that
I don't think that the power output of the Sony M2 walkman even ao theh have this DSP unit I don't think they can deliver the wonders that they make to some recordings that might sound old or bad recorded and it is not the case it is only the case of the power I'll put the liver to the headphone
The advantage of having batteries to have a more cleaner, sound output, or in there case of a power outage, you can still play music, and the ability to play well being connected to the main outlet we don't have to worry that you are degrading your battery, unlike the USB power devices that are always charging the battery

By the way my music library is 1.7TB, with 69670 reacks. From that 10400+ tracks in Hi-res (792GB)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back