Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Dec 31, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #4,216 of 4,314
Although I really like Utopia (it’s my favorite headphone), I don’t find Utopia to be wide on anything including the Z1. Have you heard Mysphere, Ultrasone Ed15 or Sennheiser HD820 on Z1? These all have bigger soundstages (biggest in that order) than Utopia.
I heard HD920 but i didn't like them... other hp i have is the MDR-Z1R and iem IER-Z1R and XBA-Z5

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #4,219 of 4,314
I had a brief demo of elites at CanJam NYC 2 yrs ago and really like them. I might have to check them out again? Do they sound warm over the Z1 (elevated bass and relaxed treble)? Thanks.
Yup the warmness goes very well. Bass sounds fast and thick, calm trebles, and I feel the holographic nature of the DMP really shines with the Empyrean's

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #4,220 of 4,314
Just listening to and enjoying the ED15 of Sony DMP-z1. I have a lot of headphones and have owned the ED15 for over 4 years and what keeps me going back to them is their natural and musical presentation. I remember Dan Clark from DCA talking about his motivation for creating the Expanse and how he wanted to achieve a presentation that was not so focused on separating every instrument apart from the others like many high end headphones due but instead delivered the music in a way that naturally blended the different elements together as if one was listening live. I have not heard the Expanse but ED15 along with the DMP-Z1 does this beautifully while still delivering great sound stage. This is a very unique quality.

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #4,221 of 4,314
HDPlex has a 400W LPSU that I also uses for my PC, which also has 19V outlet that was measured and tested by me, and it will work with DMP Z1. All you need is a plug adapter . The one in DMP Z1 is Sony laptop DC plug

Here is the link

It will come with the Cables ready but with regular DC plug, you need to find the adapter toward Sony Laptop from Amazon like this one
B69F0451-BA9C-41BF-83B0-27983A69A342.jpeg
Hi. Can you point me to the link for this Sony laptop adapter? Thanks.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #4,223 of 4,314
I got this adapters package and it works with my DMP and HDPlex. I dont know which one exactly but one of them will work. If you need pictures, I can take some for you.

aceyoon Laptop DC Power Adapter Kits 38 PCS Universal 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm DC AC Power Adapter Tips Connector for Thinkpad Power Supply Plug Jack Sets https://a.co/d/4CAwGLQ

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #4,224 of 4,314
I’ve now had my DMP-Z1 back, just a little over 6 months & now clocked up my ”third 1.000 hours“ of listening. In the now 3 x 6 months, of my player working, I’ve clocked up something in the region of 3.500 hours ( 18 months. ) Purchased 2 & a half years ago & broken in total for 12 months. I reckon, i would have accumulated 5.500 hours of listening, if i hadn’t had two failures.

On that score, everything going well. Only having used battery, twice, during the last 6 months or so. I have come to the conclusion, or possible conclusion, that i used the battery too much, unplugging too often, for longer or shorter periods.

I’ve never listened to my entire music collection, on any audio device, but I’m presently on my third cycle, of doing so.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #4,225 of 4,314
I’ve now had my DMP-Z1 back, just a little over 6 months & now clocked up my ”third 1.000 hours“ of listening. In the now 3 x 6 months, of my player working, I’ve clocked up something in the region of 3.500 hours ( 18 months. ) Purchased 2 & a half years ago & broken in total for 12 months. I reckon, i would have accumulated 5.500 hours of listening, if i hadn’t had two failures.

On that score, everything going well. Only having used battery, twice, during the last 6 months or so. I have come to the conclusion, or possible conclusion, that i used the battery too much, unplugging too often, for longer or shorter periods.

I’ve never listened to my entire music collection, on any audio device, but I’m presently on my third cycle, of doing so.
IMG_9251.jpegIMG_9251.jpeg

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #4,226 of 4,314

Based on this abd the fact the warranty of my DMP expired last November i decided to extend battery usage in 2 minths instead of every month.

I cannot believe it that you haven't finisged listening to your complete library... i have 4.6x more songs as you. And I have managed to finish listening to my music collection on many apps multiple times. But in DMP i haven't finished. In fact I have. a mozart piano sonafas on his own fortepiano I haven't listened to it yet and I got it in April last year plus the handek operas & oratorios new additions

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #4,227 of 4,314
I have no ticed does the library creation at startup is slower now that i added 4500+ new songs on my DMP. Nearing 69200 songs.
I think it takes now 3 or 4 minutes to build library in turn-on. But the performance of the user interface, and the operating system once it has started up. Remains speedy

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #4,228 of 4,314
Based on this abd the fact the warranty of my DMP expired last November i decided to extend battery usage in 2 minths instead of every month.

I cannot believe it that you haven't finisged listening to your complete library... i have 4.6x more songs as you. And I have managed to finish listening to my music collection on many apps multiple times. But in DMP i haven't finished. In fact I have. a mozart piano sonafas on his own fortepiano I haven't listened to it yet and I got it in April last year plus the handek operas & oratorios new additions

I probably have listened to my entire music collection, on my Walkman’s. I’m not 100% sure ?? What i am sure of, is that I WANT TO, listen to ALL my collection, on the DMP & no other audio device has given me that desire. ( I’m sure, I’m not the only person, that has bought many CD’s, that aren’t so enjoyable & possibly a regret ? I would never part with any of my music collection, though. )

I didn’t realise you were using battery every month ?? If I’ve understood your post ??

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #4,229 of 4,314
I probably have listened to my entire music collection, on my Walkman’s. I’m not 100% sure ?? What i am sure of, is that I WANT TO, listen to ALL my collection, on the DMP & no other audio device has given me that desire. ( I’m sure, I’m not the only person, that has bought many CD’s, that aren’t so enjoyable & possibly a regret ? I would never part with any of my music collection, though. )

I didn’t realise you were using battery every month ?? If I’ve understood your post ??
Yes, I was using battery every once a month. so I probably have used battery on those two years about 26 times now I'm going to extend to every two months or every three months.

I'm just like you, I have managed to listen to my complete music collection on my Walkman, but not on DMP tho

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #4,230 of 4,314
Yes, I was using battery every once a month. so I probably have used battery on those two years about 26 times now I'm going to extend to every two months or every three months.

I'm just like you, I have managed to listen to my complete music collection on my Walkman, but not on DMP tho

Obviously, all the troubles I’ve had & Sony recommending how often to charge, ( use battery ) I’m going to go by that.

I just don’t use my Walkman’s now, or rarely ( As I think you know, I’m indoors. ) Not that i can’t use my Walkman’s indoors ! ( I would just rather listen to the quality of the DMP. )

As I said, now on my third cycle of listening to my whole music collection, with my DMP & if I use any of my audio equipment, i immediately can tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back