Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Mar 1, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #3,301 of 4,470
So what's the benefit of upgrading to 1.02 then? At a loss of what I should do... 🤷‍♂️
Doesn’t look like much other than that BT playback fix 🤔

B4560CC2-55B5-4609-A9F6-EFED07A90F16.png

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #3,302 of 4,470
I have a even weirder question than @cat3600 magnetic USB C plugs.

How can i protect my DMP-Z1 against electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear explosion ?( atomic bomb)

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #3,304 of 4,470
So running DSP. Only turned DSEE HX AI on. Battery lasted 7.5H until battery dropped to 3%

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #3,306 of 4,470
Reached the 100 hour mark yesterday on DMP-Z1 ( No. 2 ) while continuing to rip my 1.000 + CD’s to FLAC. It is the most amazing audio I’ve ever heard in headphone listening, without question. It’s like rediscovering my whole music collection in a way I’ve never ever known before.
That’s slow, you must be listening/burning-in simultaneously. Was there much difference over the hours?

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #3,307 of 4,470
That’s slow, you must be listening/burning-in simultaneously. Was there much difference over the hours?

97 hrs in two weeks was a bit down for me, but I was at my partners for 5 days, but still managed to clock up about 40 hrs that week - I do understand the comment, “You’ve got those headphones on all the time”. ( Not much company for him & a bit rude ! )

As I’d posted recently, I had not ripped anything to FLAC, during the 1.200 + hours of listening, with my first unit & even then the conclusion was it was the best headphone audio I have ever heard.

This is now something completely on another level. Imagine previously, a flower not fully open, but now completely in full bloom. Obviously, FLAC has no compression, so this must be the difference that I’m hearing & still having DSD Remastering on, as I always have done.

I’m listening in moments of batch ripping and other times of just adding each CD as I rip them. Regards any differences, during these now 110 hrs of listening, i can’t really say, other than what I have said, which is the most insane audio I have ever heard. I’m hearing so much in the music that I never heard before, even more so now & the resolution has gone up to another level. It really is multi channel SACD listening in a headphone, something I’d always hoped for.

I hope this player doesn’t malfunction, because the thought of it not being replaced, because it may have been discontinued by then ??…..would be hard to live with.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #3,311 of 4,470
With the AKM fire and no new chips from AKM , i guess yes
Incorrect regarding AKM, whom have resumed production of 13 Velvet Sound A/D & D/A converter chips.

Samples have been available as of last month for a new generation of improved specification devices, (although it appears that they haven't as of yet, designated an equivalent replacement to the AK4497, as employed x2 in the DMP-Z1)

Asahi Kasei Microdevices

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,312 of 4,470
Seeing the price the DMP-Z1 is at, don't think Sony would be worried enough to run out of their stock of the chip. It's definitely not a leading seller like many other Chinese DAPs are, they can definitely eat the increased chip price, that's much easier and cheaper than designing a new player around a new chip.

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #3,313 of 4,470
What i once regarded as bad recordings and skipped them.

With DMP they ahine, i haven’t skipped a single second of these tracks. Like @Rob49 says Z1 presents you with the music at its root level, i am amazed and baffled how an onced shoty recording suddenly sound nice
image.jpg

Mar 10, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #3,314 of 4,470
What i once regarded as bad recordings and skipped them.

With DMP they ahine, i haven’t skipped a single second of these tracks. Like @Rob49 says Z1 presents you with the music at its root level, i am amazed and baffled how an onced shoty recording suddenly sound nice
image.jpg

I’m finding this too. If you hadn’t replied & explained that converted FLAC rips, aren’t the same as direct rips, I wouldn’t have discovered ( yet ) what this player REALLY DOES.

( Just as I type this, I’m losing sound in the left ear cup of my Sony 1AM2’s - hope it’s not the cable ?? - we’ll time to try my Senn 660S again, or even my Sony MDR- Z1R’s, I wonder if they’re still mouldy ! ? lol )

It really is amazing to listen to music, your favourite music & your not so favourite music & have a completely different perspective for both.

Mar 10, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #3,315 of 4,470
I’m finding this too. If you hadn’t replied & explained that converted FLAC rips, aren’t the same as direct rips, I wouldn’t have discovered ( yet ) what this player REALLY DOES.

( Just as I type this, I’m losing sound in the left ear cup of my Sony 1AM2’s - hope it’s not the cable ?? - we’ll time to try my Senn 660S again, or even my Sony MDR- Z1R’s, I wonder if they’re still mouldy ! ? lol )

It really is amazing to listen to music, your favourite music & your not so favourite music & have a completely different perspective for both.
Same happ n d to me last week, my MDR-Z1R lost wound on the right cup, so i and nded ditxhing the sony kimb and cable and swqpped a kimber axios and sounds good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back