Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 22, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #3,272 of 4,470
Tou must rip the CD to flac qnd mot first rip to mp3/aac and then “conv rt” to foac as wh n tou ipped to mp3/aac the riles is already lossy and cannot be recovered by just upsampling to flav

I had just ripped to mp3 or acc using JRiver or Sony Media Go & then I have converted to FLAC. As I’ve said I can’t hear any obvious difference between them on the DMP, whereas I think I would on another device. I’m trying to convince myself that I can hear a difference…..some of my files are APE….which I thought sounded good, but again, hard to differentiate?? APE in a sense is not different to FLAC, regards bit rate e.t.c. Is that right ?

…..and if I’ve understood your post properly, there’s not really any point in converting to FLAC, because the smaller mp3 / acc files are already lossy & upsampling to FLAC won’t make any difference ??

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #3,273 of 4,470
I had just ripped to mp3 or acc using JRiver or Sony Media Go & then I have converted to FLAC. As I’ve said I can’t hear any obvious difference between them on the DMP, whereas I think I would on another device. I’m trying to convince myself that I can hear a difference…..some of my files are APE….which I thought sounded good, but again, hard to differentiate?? APE in a sense is not different to FLAC, regards bit rate e.t.c. Is that right ?
CD>MP3/AAC>FLAC/APE does not work as the resulting dile from the rip has already lissy compression and upconverting to flac will BRING NOTHING BUT WASTED SOACE.

CD>FLAV/APE direct without h mp3/AAC in the middle provides the BEST RESULTS

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #3,274 of 4,470
CD>MP3/AAC>FLAC/APE does not work as the resulting dile from the rip has already lissy compression and upconverting to flac will BRING NOTHING BUT WASTED SOACE.

CD>FLAV/APE direct without h mp3/AAC in the middle provides the BEST RESULTS

Thanks for that info. ( So how do you cut out the “middle man” ripping CD’s ?? )

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #3,275 of 4,470
Thanks for that info. ( So how do you cut out the “middle man” ripping CD’s ?? )
Check if JRiver has a ripping option to FLAC or use MediaGo to rip CD direvtly to flac.

I personally use db poweramp suite CD ripper tool

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #3,276 of 4,470
Check if JRiver has a ripping option to FLAC or use MediaGo to rip CD direvtly to flac.

I personally use db poweramp suite CD ripper tool

Thanks. I’ve never checked on JRiver. So there is an option on Sony Media Go to rip directly to FLAC ? ( I’ve only had both of these soft wears for years ! )

My external hard drive has just arrived & thankfully it connected to my laptop, unfortunately, it’s very, very slow ! ( ( Using JRiver at present ) I’ll be 60 before I’ve finished ripping my remaining CD’s ! LOL

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #3,277 of 4,470
Thanks. I’ve never checked on JRiver. So there is an option on Sony Media Go to rip directly to FLAC ? ( I’ve only had both of these soft wears for years ! )

My external hard drive has just arrived & thankfully it connected to my laptop, unfortunately, it’s very, very slow ! ( ( Using JRiver at present ) I’ll be 60 before I’ve finished ripping my remaining CD’s ! LOL
Yes Sony MediaGo has an option to rip to FLAC, at least on the last few releases. I’m his is und r options> impo and CE on so is called

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,278 of 4,470
I p to sonally like db poweramp suite CD ripper as it has an Accurip that ensures the hat a lot ipp d CD is accurate by matching the ach of ipoed track with o an int rner database that contqins rips of same CD made by other people (a CRV32 and a MD5 checksum). If the ripped track iw mot present within accu ip database, the database ipping tool database ill rip the same track twice and compare them and decide if its an accurate rip (bit p the fect)

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #3,279 of 4,470
Yes Sony MediaGo has an option to rip to FLAC, at least on the last few releases. I’m his is und r options> impo and CE on so is called

Got the Sony Media Go to FLAC. Can’t recall if I ever clicked “Preferences“ before ?? Probably did…..haven’t looked on JRiver yet.

It will be interesting to see if I can tell any difference at all, cutting out the “middle man” ? Will report back….
I p to sonally like db poweramp suite CD ripper as it has an Accurip that ensures the hat a lot ipp d CD is accurate by matching the ach of ipoed track with o an int rner database that contqins rips of same CD made by other people (a CRV32 and a MD5 checksum). If the ripped track iw mot present within accu ip database, the database ipping tool database ill rip the same track twice and compare them and decide if its an accurate rip (bit p the fect)

Thanks. I will look into that this evening. I had heard of it before, but never delved. Thanks for your help & educating me on something I wasn’t fully aware of.

Feb 22, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #3,280 of 4,470
Even after a short listen @gerelmx1986 i thought I couldn’t get even more enjoyment from my DMP-Z1, but this direct to FLAC is certainly the way to go. I feel I can definitely hear even more detail & overall a notch up in sound quality, for something that already sounded unique to me.

A long job ahead ripping everything again & a longer job, but will be SO worth it ! Thanks again.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #3,282 of 4,470

Of course this morning I had to check if there was a direct rip to DSD on JRiver, knowing there’s a convert option & of course there is. Just trying a couple of CD’s….not sure if it’s worth going down this route. I think I’ll stick to the FLAC rips, after what I heard yesterday.

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #3,283 of 4,470
Of course this morning I had to check if there was a direct rip to DSD on JRiver, knowing there’s a convert option & of course there is. Just trying a couple of CD’s….not sure if it’s worth going down this route. I think I’ll stick to the FLAC rips, after what I heard yesterday.
For DSD rips i use only for SACSs and its a bit more complicqy d as you need to source a blue ray player that supports SACR playback. Then you must downliad some acripts and copy thwm to an USB stick which is to be plugged in to the bluray player. Then computer and bluray must be on same netork and then finally use windows command prompt to execute sacd_extract.exe

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #3,284 of 4,470
Feb 23, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #3,285 of 4,470
For DSD rips i use only for SACSs and its a bit more complicqy d as you need to source a blue ray player that supports SACR playback. Then you must downliad some acripts and copy thwm to an USB stick which is to be plugged in to the bluray player. Then computer and bluray must be on same netork and then finally use windows command prompt to execute sacd_extract.exe

I have about 150 - 200 SACD’s & never known how to rip them, but what you’re saying & what I’ve read, sounds a bit of hassle, especially for my cognitive impaired brain, so I don’t think I’ll bother.

Onwards & upwards with the FLAC ripping…& of course, listening !

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back