Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,831 of 4,317
Hi,
I've been a reader of this thread for quite some time, and thought I'd share my experience with DMP. I've been a long-time owner of JH16 and WM1A, and I bought the IER-Z1R early this year. The DMP + IER Z1R combo has been described as 1+1=3, hence I went to give it a try.

What I found most impressive about the DMP was how real it can make some live tracks sound. In particular, good quality live recordings don't feel like music reproduction. You can feel the environment and be in the music. You experience music that is close to its source. Sound is rich, crisp, emotional, and confident. The soundstage is not just wide, but 3D with space and depth. While my exposure to other daps/amp are limited, I think DMP is above TA-ZH1ES, WM1Z, and SP2000 when I played these live tracks. The others sound like digital reproduction in comparison.

However, this experience doesn't happen with all music. There are many tracks that sound just ok/good but not impressive, for instance, some tracks in the genre of indie pop, industrial hip hop, industrial rock, and rap. But I am not sure if it is because of DMP. Maybe these tracks don't scale much with better equipments?

In the end, I purchased a used DMP for around 5200 USD with 35 hrs of use. I bought it for a number of reasons:
  • Likely the best sounding player that runs on battery
  • Sony ecosystem/ OS; and other DAP brands tend to have shorter product cycle
  • Build Quality and excellent design
  • Trasnportability
  • Option for headphone usage in the future
  • Synergy with IER-Z1R. Female Vocals. Bass
  • Small screen and lack of streaming don't bother me
Portability/transportability is important to me, because I feel that listening experience is amplified when done at the "right time and place." When it's a chill sunday, I could stay in bed and listen to high quality music. When it's raining, I could listen to moody music next to the window. If I really need to go portable, I can revert back to WM1A.

I wanted a single unit and end all the chasing. There are enough problems in the world; I don't want to add what amp, source, power supply, and cables to my list. Why not use the free time to explore new artists and music instead? I am still burning in my DMP (at 150 hrs). Hopefully the sound will continue to improve.

If you can, get your hands on the MDR Z1R. It's different enough from the IER (more relaxed and a bit more comfy as it's over ear) and the pairing with the DMP is amazing.

Edit: Congratulations BTW! That's a great price for equipment of this caliber. It's a nice feeling when you know the journey is finished. Like a weight off the shoulders haha

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,832 of 4,317
Hi,
I've been a reader of this thread for quite some time, and thought I'd share my experience with DMP. I've been a long-time owner of JH16 and WM1A, and I bought the IER-Z1R early this year. The DMP + IER Z1R combo has been described as 1+1=3, hence I went to give it a try.

What I found most impressive about the DMP was how real it can make some live tracks sound. In particular, good quality live recordings don't feel like music reproduction. You can feel the environment and be in the music. You experience music that is close to its source. Sound is rich, crisp, emotional, and confident. The soundstage is not just wide, but 3D with space and depth. While my exposure to other daps/amp are limited, I think DMP is above TA-ZH1ES, WM1Z, and SP2000 when I played these live tracks. The others sound like digital reproduction in comparison.

However, this experience doesn't happen with all music. There are many tracks that sound just ok/good but not impressive, for instance, some tracks in the genre of indie pop, industrial hip hop, industrial rock, and rap. But I am not sure if it is because of DMP. Maybe these tracks don't scale much with better equipments?

In the end, I purchased a used DMP for around 5200 USD with 35 hrs of use. I bought it for a number of reasons:
  • Likely the best sounding player that runs on battery
  • Sony ecosystem/ OS; and other DAP brands tend to have shorter product cycle
  • Build Quality and excellent design
  • Trasnportability
  • Option for headphone usage in the future
  • Synergy with IER-Z1R. Female Vocals. Bass
  • Small screen and lack of streaming don't bother me
Portability/transportability is important to me, because I feel that listening experience is amplified when done at the "right time and place." When it's a chill sunday, I could stay in bed and listen to high quality music. When it's raining, I could listen to moody music next to the window. If I really need to go portable, I can revert back to WM1A.

I wanted a single unit and end all the chasing. There are enough problems in the world; I don't want to add what amp, source, power supply, and cables to my list. Why not use the free time to explore new artists and music instead? I am still burning in my DMP (at 150 hrs). Hopefully the sound will continue to improve.

Damnnn what a bargain ! Nice buy congrats

I wish I could have one 🙃 for that price of course 😁

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #1,833 of 4,317
DMP Z1 and MDR Z1R is too much Bass. I enjoy IER Z1R better with it and I do prefer HD800S as a full-size with DMP Z1.

The DMP is a tier above TA ZH1ES.

Dear Whitigir, do you know where to buy the DMP-Z1 protective leather cover? Many thanks! Arthur from Shanghai.

Whitiger_DMP-Z1a.jpeg

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #1,834 of 4,317
Dear Whitigir, do you know where to buy the DMP-Z1 protective leather cover? Many thanks! Arthur from Shanghai.

Whitiger_DMP-Z1a.jpeg
Sorry, I do not know. This one was DIY
I have seen many people started using the clear film cover like the screen protector around the body, but it is only sold in China or so

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #1,837 of 4,317
Sorry, I do not know. This one was DIY
I have seen many people started using the clear film cover like the screen protector around the body, but it is only sold in China or so

Thanks for your feedback. I did the screen protector in Shanghai weeks ago. But it turned not so fitting coz bubbles and "wrinkles" are very difficult to deal with.

If it comes to the leather cover, I have to send my DMP-Z1 to the shop, it takes several days for them to "customize" it. Another risk...

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #1,838 of 4,317
Thanks for your feedback. I did the screen protector in Shanghai weeks ago. But it turned not so fitting coz bubbles and "wrinkles" are very difficult to deal with.

If it comes to the leather cover, I have to send my DMP-Z1 to the shop, it takes several days for them to "customize" it. Another risk...

Can i ask, what are your impressions of the DMP-Z1, please ?

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #1,839 of 4,317
Can i ask, what are your impressions of the DMP-Z1, please ?

Hey Rob, thanks for asking.

I own DMP-Z1 for 3 months. It's my first desktop player. I used to have FiiO M15 & Astell & Kern SP2000.

DMP-Z1 is very versatile with headphones, incl. Z1R, HD800 (with an enhanced cable) and Utopia.

The most favorite part is it's a "all-in-one" player with great design & high sound quality. I don't need to worry about the entire system construction, it fits very well for me as I am living & working in Shanghai with a very fast pace.

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #1,840 of 4,317
Hey Rob, thanks for asking.

I own DMP-Z1 for 3 months. It's my first desktop player. I used to have FiiO M15 & Astell & Kern SP2000.

DMP-Z1 is very versatile with headphones, incl. Z1R, HD800 (with an enhanced cable) and Utopia.

The most favorite part is it's a "all-in-one" player with great design & high sound quality. I don't need to worry about the entire system construction, it fits very well for me as I am living & working in Shanghai with a very fast pace.

Thank you for your impressions. I've actually been thinking of buying the Fiio M15, too. How do they both compare. Probably a little unfair to compare, but read many good things about the DAP.
I've been thinking of buying the DMP-Z1 for quite sometime now, but it's presently, "currently unavialable" on Amazon U.K.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #1,841 of 4,317
Thank you for your impressions. I've actually been thinking of buying the Fiio M15, too. How do they both compare. Probably a little unfair to compare, but read many good things about the DAP.
I've been thinking of buying the DMP-Z1 for quite sometime now, but it's presently, "currently unavialable" on Amazon U.K.

Hey Rob, when I paid at Sony flagship store in Shanghai, my baby was the last one available in stock. The sales boy told me, no idea when the new DMP-Z1 will be available. Partially due to COVID19... And my player code is only 364. I guess it has a bad sales performance worldwide for DMP-Z1. However, I really like all the design details presented by SONY, it's a perfect table-top hifi music player. I can easily find the place at home from my reading room to living room, enjoying the music along with the fresh Chinese green tea.

The bluetooth function is also very very good. I can listen to all the streaming media from my smart phone, connected with DMP-Z1 through bluetooth. And even play the music in my Patrol wagon, through the bluetooth to my 13-Bose-speakers.

For FiiO M15, it's also a great portable player. Unfair to compare with DMP-Z1. This is currently the only one I want to re-buy it after I sold it. It's all-around function into this portable size is amazing. Particularly when at a reasonable cost. I mean, you cannot ask for more at this price.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #1,842 of 4,317
Hey Rob, when I paid at Sony flagship store in Shanghai, my baby was the last one available in stock. The sales boy told me, no idea when the new DMP-Z1 will be available. Partially due to COVID19... And my player code is only 364. I guess it has a bad sales performance worldwide for DMP-Z1. However, I really like all the design details presented by SONY, it's a perfect table-top hifi music player. I can easily find the place at home from my reading room to living room, enjoying the music along with the fresh Chinese green tea.

The bluetooth function is also very very good. I can listen to all the streaming media from my smart phone, connected with DMP-Z1 through bluetooth. And even play the music in my Patrol wagon, through the bluetooth to my 13-Bose-speakers.

For FiiO M15, it's also a great portable player. Unfair to compare with DMP-Z1. This is currently the only one I want to re-buy it after I sold it. It's all-around function into this portable size is amazing. Particularly when at a reasonable cost. I mean, you cannot ask for more at this price.

Of course, i didn't think of the equation of COVID19 ! I may never get one now ?? I can't imagine there will be too many made, given the price, either ?? If it's meant to be, then it's meant to be.

I've read nothing but positive things on here, with the exception of two comments, so it does appear to live up to the hype.
I wasn't looking to buy another DAP, but i am certainly tempted by the FiiO M15....mind you i'm "tempted" by many audio products ! :)

Enjoy your listening....and Chinese Green Tea !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back