Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
May 26, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #1,803 of 4,317
IMG_6795.jpg

Spent the weekend testing HiFiman HE1000 V2 and Utopia with Sony DMP-Z1 using all silver (100% Ag) cabling. The imaging is quite realistic with passages off DSD tracks that often had me believing that room speakers were on.

While the bass off Utopia is not as strong with upper chest-thumping contrasted with Abyss 1266, it was pristine and non-fatiguing for hours. One just cannot listen for too long wearing the Abyss. Not surprisingly, the Utopia was easier to drive than the Abyss 1266.

May 26, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #1,804 of 4,317
Hi all, new head-fi member here. I'm actually rather new to the hi fi community in general. A friend got me into this and now he's ruined me. Over the last several months I've picked up the MDR-Z1R, the IER-Z1R and the nwzx507. I pretty much exclusively listen to streaming. I'm into enjoying old music but for me the pleasure is in the dopaminergic thrill of a great new song. I've read almost all of the posts in this thread and have a pretty good understanding of the pros/cons of the DMP - as well as of the personalities of many of you. My question is, should I just get the TA-ZH1ES to pump up my MDR and IER with streaming the NWZX507? Or should I consider getting the DMP? I know it's not built for that; it's not a supposed to be a DAC alone and streaming music sounds inferior to stored digital files. But I prefer sony products and wish to choose between the two. I'm open to considering the DMP if it's going to be significantly better- not just 10-20% better than the TA. Appreciate any insight!

May 27, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #1,805 of 4,317
Hi all, new head-fi member here. I'm actually rather new to the hi fi community in general. A friend got me into this and now he's ruined me. Over the last several months I've picked up the MDR-Z1R, the IER-Z1R and the nwzx507. I pretty much exclusively listen to streaming. I'm into enjoying old music but for me the pleasure is in the dopaminergic thrill of a great new song. I've read almost all of the posts in this thread and have a pretty good understanding of the pros/cons of the DMP - as well as of the personalities of many of you. My question is, should I just get the TA-ZH1ES to pump up my MDR and IER with streaming the NWZX507? Or should I consider getting the DMP? I know it's not built for that; it's not a supposed to be a DAC alone and streaming music sounds inferior to stored digital files. But I prefer sony products and wish to choose between the two. I'm open to considering the DMP if it's going to be significantly better- not just 10-20% better than the TA. Appreciate any insight!

Well, it depends on your expendable funds and whether it's represents good enough value to pay for it. Like many of us here, I purchased the DMP Z1 because I wanted to spoil myself with the very best Sony could engineer and offer. This is a dream product for me, and I was lucky enough to be in the position to afford one.
Assuming you are comfortable with spending the money for a DMP (probably biggest hurdle), then you need to evaluate whether the features offered is justified for your use case.

Now, I'm going to be blunt, the 'level headed' desktop setup would probably be getting something like a Topping D90 DAC and a high quality tube amp (Woo Audio, or a warm solid state like a Vioelectric V281). If you want Sony, TAZH1ES is my preferred pick, but as an all in one you lose out on switching out components.

HOWEVER, if you are already seriously looking at DMP, and crave luxury with your technology (and transportability) I don't think there's anything close to the DMP Z1 in this category. If you have a love for Sony, and really want luxury, over the top design, engineering, craftsmanship, and sound, this device is perfect and has no equal. For streaming? Perhaps not what it is primarily designed for (dual SD's and onboard 256 gb). However, yes it works great with streaming too. I love using the DMP on my desk, as the hot summer weather doesn't affect DMP operating temperature, it runs cool. TAZH1ES ran quite warm, and the added heat was not welcome on my desktop.

Good luck, such a purchase DEFINITELY requires some thought. I gave it plenty of thought, and have zero regrets. It's my jewel, pride, inspiration and joy.

Edit: To compare TAZH1ES to DMP. TA is the better value, but after owning and using both, the DMP is in a different league. There is clearly a diminishing return sound wise, but as a package, the DMP stands apart as an experience. Get the TA if the price of the DMP is even making you slightly nervous.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #1,806 of 4,317
Well, it depends on your expendable funds and whether it's represents good enough value to pay for it. Like many of us here, I purchased the DMP Z1 because I wanted to spoil myself with the very best Sony could engineer and offer. This is a dream product for me, and I was lucky enough to be in the position to afford one.
Assuming you are comfortable with spending the money for a DMP (probably biggest hurdle), then you need to evaluate whether the features offered is justified for your use case.

Now, I'm going to be blunt, the 'level headed' desktop setup would probably be getting something like a Topping D90 DAC and a high quality tube amp (Woo Audio, or a warm solid state like a Vioelectric V281). If you want Sony, TAZH1ES is my preferred pick, but as an all in one you lose out on switching out components.

HOWEVER, if you are already seriously looking at DMP, and crave luxury with your technology (and transportability) I don't think there's anything close to the DMP Z1 in this category. If you have a love for Sony, and really want luxury, over the top design, engineering, craftsmanship, and sound, this device is perfect and has no equal. For streaming? Perhaps not what it is primarily designed for (dual SD's and onboard 256 gb). However, yes it works great with streaming too. I love using the DMP on my desk, as the hot summer weather doesn't affect DMP operating temperature, it runs cool. TAZH1ES ran quite warm, and the added heat was not welcome on my desktop.

Good luck, such a purchase DEFINITELY requires some thought. I gave it plenty of thought, and have zero regrets. It's my jewel, pride, inspiration and joy.

Edit: To compare TAZH1ES to DMP. TA is the better value, but after owning and using both, the DMP is in a different league. There is clearly a diminishing return sound wise, but as a package, the DMP stands apart as an experience. Get the TA if the price of the DMP is even making you slightly nervous.
i was just gonna ask here if the sound improvement is worth it as well. for me, the ZH1ES was markedly better in sound quality over the WM1Z, and I wondered if the same could be said for the DMP. I only had 10 minutes hearing the DMP and couldn't reach a conclusion.
Or maybe I should hold up and try out their near field speakers when it's released. They cost almost the same and imo hifi systems are a better deal... Decisions, decisions...

May 27, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,807 of 4,317

Thanks for the terrific feedback. I appreciate your thoughtful reply. The money is not inconsequential and it wouldn't be a decision made lightly, especially in the context of ongoing events, but I would rather save for the DMP if it is truly, unquestionably, a slam dunk superior to the TA-ZH1ES. I have to say, however, that listening to streaming via the NWZX507 with either the MDR or IER has been a sublime experience for me thus far so perhaps no need to rush to upgrade just yet. I'm just appreciative of this new hobby and the new sensory experiences.

May 27, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #1,808 of 4,317
After hearing that the Sony Walkman NW-WM1Z did not impress above, I spent the last few hours re-listening to recent tracks enjoyed with Sony DMP-Z1 on various 'phones.
My quick take is that the WM1Z has probably 95% of the DMP-Z1 sound. If I were blind-tested, the only way to tell the difference is likely through the Abyss 1266 where the bass of the WM1Z is lacking. Imaging-wise, the two are hard to differentiate. In a quiet setting, I don't think I can pick from the two with 100% accuracy.

IMG_6797.jpg

May 28, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #1,811 of 4,317
+5% for an additional $5K+, this sums up the world of Summit-Fi.. :D
You certainly have a point, but let's not forget that while these $5K+ are very much a hard fact, the 5% aren't. They are just a) one man's opinion and b) a rough guesstimate at most that should not be taken literally. Basically, since we have no way of actually measuring these things (as they're not only subjective but also not quantifiable), they're basically just a way of saying, in my mind, it's pretty close, and nothing else. Personally, I try not to throw around numbers like that because they're too often taken as gospel, thus spawning a new narrative ("They say the DMP-Z1 is just 5 % better than the WM-1Z"), which is not really helpful, but perhaps they can help others to get a basic feel for at least a perceived difference of things.

That being said, I still don't really know what to make of my own DMP-Z1. At times, it totally wows me, and then again, it will leave me more or less cold. I haven't yet worked out all of the contributing variables. It certainly seems to have something to do with quality of the music files, but it does not seem limited to that. Will have to do more listening and determining; so far I have just a measly 24 hours on my unit, as work is plentiful and listening time more or less restricted to nights.

I do, however, have a problem. When the DMP-Z1 is plugged in, I hear a humming noise via the IER-Z1 that I don't perceive with the MDR-Z1. At first I thought it was just due to the IER-Z1R being more sensitive, but the strange thing is that the humming disappears as soon as I touch either the power cable, the IEM's cable or the unit itself. Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be some sort of grounds related problem? If so, shouldn't it be perceivable on the MDR-Z1R as well? It only seems to be an issue when the power cable is plugged in. (Sorry, I'm a total tech dyslexic, if that was not apparent.) Strangely, I'm almost sure that I didn't hear it in the first couple of hours, despite the unit loading while I listened. I remember being excited about the deeply black background, and now this is ruining the experience a bit. It's not really audible while music is playing, but quite apparent during very quiet passages or between songs, and to be honest, it annoys me quite a bit. Anyone have an idea what could be happening? TIA!

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #1,812 of 4,317
Great to finally hear from you @phonomat :relaxed: but so sorry to hear of the "humming" sound with the in ears....stupid question, do you have any other in ears to try. to see if you get the same "humming" ?? I've often read of "hissing" on here with the use of in ears, but would this "humming" be that ??
I'm sure people like @Whitigir and other knowledgeable people will be along shortly....hopefully with a logical reason ??....i just hope it isn't a fault ?? Just re-reading, it's not an issue with purely battery use ?? I can definitely understand it affecting your enjoyment....i hope it can be resolved ?

I think i'm going through the wow's with my gear....and then thinking....i'm not so impressed today....but one device i've gone back to & really enjoying is my Sony ZX2. It's sounding so good with TRRS cable, which you kind of forget, when you've been listening to other devices.

I still hope to purchase the DMP one day, but i'm really not prepared to pay the typical price, when i missed out on THAT DEAL !! ( Sorry, to get into monetary debate, but it is a huge factor, not being able to listen to the device before purchasing. )

I do think the rate and quality of music files, production is SO important on any device....it's like watching the resolution of a movie & how it was filmed...

May 28, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #1,813 of 4,317
You certainly have a point, but let's not forget that while these $5K+ are very much a hard fact, the 5% aren't. They are just a) one man's opinion and b) a rough guesstimate at most that should not be taken literally. Basically, since we have no way of actually measuring these things (as they're not only subjective but also not quantifiable), they're basically just a way of saying, in my mind, it's pretty close, and nothing else. Personally, I try not to throw around numbers like that because they're too often taken as gospel, thus spawning a new narrative ("They say the DMP-Z1 is just 5 % better than the WM-1Z"), which is not really helpful, but perhaps they can help others to get a basic feel for at least a perceived difference of things.

That being said, I still don't really know what to make of my own DMP-Z1. At times, it totally wows me, and then again, it will leave me more or less cold. I haven't yet worked out all of the contributing variables. It certainly seems to have something to do with quality of the music files, but it does not seem limited to that. Will have to do more listening and determining; so far I have just a measly 24 hours on my unit, as work is plentiful and listening time more or less restricted to nights.

I do, however, have a problem. When the DMP-Z1 is plugged in, I hear a humming noise via the IER-Z1 that I don't perceive with the MDR-Z1. At first I thought it was just due to the IER-Z1R being more sensitive, but the strange thing is that the humming disappears as soon as I touch either the power cable, the IEM's cable or the unit itself. Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be some sort of grounds related problem? If so, shouldn't it be perceivable on the MDR-Z1R as well? It only seems to be an issue when the power cable is plugged in. (Sorry, I'm a total tech dyslexic, if that was not apparent.) Strangely, I'm almost sure that I didn't not hear it in the first couple of hours, despite the unit loading while I listened. I remember being excited about the deeply black background, and now this is ruining the experience a bit. It's not really audible while music is playing, but quite apparent during very quiet passages or between songs, and to be honest, it annoys me quite a bit. Anyone have an idea what could be happening? TIA!

That’s really strange. Haven’t heard any background hiss or noise with the IER-Z1R or any other phone for that matter. Have you tried a different power point in your house?

May 28, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #1,814 of 4,317
That’s really strange. Haven’t heard any background hiss or noise with the IER-Z1R or any other phone for that matter. Have you tried a different power point in your house?
Yes, the problem persists independent of power outlet and IEMs. It's definitely not hiss; it sounds exactly like a ground loop, like when a turntable is not properly grounded, for example. And it vanishes as soon as I touch the unit. Naturally, I'm using the original cable with the ferrite core it came with. There is definitely something wrong. Everything is fine when running on batteries, but as soon as I plug it in again, it's back. That supersweet Supersonido deal might yet bite me in the a$$ if I have to send the unit back and explain in Spanish what the problem is, lol. Just my luck ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back