Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,547 of 4,315
Hi guys, I've read really mixed reviews with some people saying the Dmp is amazing, while others say it is lackluster :thinking:

Does anyone know how it compares to a Chord hugo TT1 or hugo 2.
Ive also read that it isn't much of an improvement over the wm1z, while others say it is a great improvement. :shrug:

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,548 of 4,315
Hi guys, I've read really mixed reviews with some people saying the Dmp is amazing, while others say it is lackluster :thinking:

Does anyone know how it compares to a Chord hugo TT1 or hugo 2.
Ive also read that it isn't much of an improvement over the wm1z, while others say it is a great improvement. :shrug:

I rather take DMP-Z1 over Chord Dave, so...that may help answered your question.

It is best to go give it a listen yourself

DMP-Z1 is anything, but not lack luster or slightly improved over WM1Z....heck , it leaves TA-ZH1ES in the dust

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #1,549 of 4,315
That brings me to another confused question :joy:

I have read that it doesn't quite have enough power for he1000 (power hungry planars), yet abyss diana is a recommended pairing. Aren't they both equally hard to drive? I recall the abyss being power hungry when i demo'd
40ohm/91db abyss Di, 35ohm/90db he1k

I'll see if my local store has floor stock for demo.
Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,550 of 4,315

I have read that it doesn't quite have enough power for he1000 (power hungry planars), yet abyss diana is a recommended pairing. Aren't they both equally hard to drive? I recall the abyss being power hungry when i demo'd

Thanks

I bought mine from A2A and they have a demo unit in Kew :)

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,551 of 4,315

Thanks
I recommend it with HD800s, but I don’t know about the rest that you listed up :).

I also recommend it with a Stax headphones, but Stax has it own amplifiers

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,552 of 4,315

Thanks

I think it will do a good job with the HE1000 but not the best. The HE1000 needs a lot of power to shine, so u may be better off going with the GSX mini or mark ii.

The DMP is a significantly jump over the WM1Z even the modify ones especially with something like the HD800. The improvement is less with something easier to drive such as custom IEMs. The DMP is also a notch or two better than the TA-ZH1ES. Oh and I have all these gears so my impressions are not drawn from a store demo or at headphones meet.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,553 of 4,315
I think it will do a good job with the HE1000 but not the best. The HE1000 needs a lot of power to shine, so u may be better off going with the GSX mini or mark ii.

The DMP is a significantly jump over the WM1Z even the modify ones especially with something like the HD800. The improvement is less with something easier to drive such as custom IEMs. The DMP is also a notch or two better than the TA-ZH1ES. Oh and I have all these gears so my impressions are not drawn from a store demo or at headphones meet.

and that is only DMP-Z1 out of the box, aka with Stock Charger and or battery mode. The DMP-Z1 transform into another beast that will show it fangs and claws , curves, muscular with an external PSU....depends on the PSU capability.

IMO, DMP-Z1 is an all in one device that has 2 modes.

1/ Portability mode: you can un tether and carry it around with you, plug in a headphones and enjoy music

2/ Desktop mode: choose an LPSU for yourself, plug it in, treat it like a desktop all in one system, and you have superb musical fidelity at your finger tips

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,555 of 4,315
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #1,556 of 4,315

Interesting comments
“the improvement is less with something easier to drive”
So with my Utopias (easy to drive) the improvement is less (on the Z1) when comparing to the WM1Z.
I find my Utopias/Axios with 1Z to be SUBLIME.

There is a thread on the Naim forum with several 1Z users (including myself) who all say that when we are ready to retire and chuck our 6 figure Naim systems we will live happily ever after with the 1Z :)

TA-ZH1ES - I sold mine. Very disappointing imho

Sounds like the 1Z will continue to keep me happy

009S/Carbon fronted by my Linn digital front end = END GAME

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #1,557 of 4,315
Interesting comments
So with my Utopias (easy to drive) the improvement is less (on the Z1) when comparing to the WM1Z.

There is a thread on the Naim forum with several 1Z users (including myself) who all say that when we are ready to retire and chuck our 6 figure Naim systems we will live happily ever after with the 1Z :)

I would be very happy only with Utopia, 1Z, and ALO CDM tube amp.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #1,558 of 4,315
I haven't seen any of these go up for sale. Very unusual for headfi, they must be good :joy:.
The question remains, is it worth twice the price of a Hugo TT1, or selling my sp2000 for. Only a demo will tell. I didn't realize Hugo TT2 has no batteries, so this is not a consideration anymore.

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,559 of 4,315
Interesting comments

IMO, the 1Z already has an excellent tonality but it just lacks driving power. Therefore, something easier to drive like my IER-Z1R already sound plenty good out of the WM1Z. I used to have the Utopia and I agree that it sounds quite awesome with the 1Z. I sold the Utopia before owning the DMP, but I suspect that the Utopia will still sound better out the DMP but the improvements may not be as drastic as from the HD800 out of the DMP. If not for the hefty weight, I would use it more and carry it every where.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #1,560 of 4,315
I am too lazy to take detailed pictures. But just to report back, this sorbothane stuff is amazing !!!

what I am doing here is that I slot this sorbothane sheet under the round rubber of the Transformer inside. This is to dampen the vibration of Transformer !!!!!

The major thing that needs attention is the Rubber sheets which have to stay between the transformer and the Sorbothane sheet. The reason being is that Rubber can stand the Heat generated by transformer better than sorbothane.

The effects is so very real !!! Bass is more fluid and the inner resolution of it density is observable!!! The fluidity improved across the whole spectrums from low to high. The trebles gains more resolution on the inner resolutions Too!!

the ability to play accurate pitch and tonal body from DMP Z1 was excellent with battery mode, but in a Discrete PSU, it gets even better!!! Especially when done right.

The DMP-Z1 with the marvelous engineering deserves the best LPSU out there. I totally recommend the Sigma 11. There is only 1 catch as the Sigma 11 has no current limiter. So the DMP Z1 has to follow a ritual

Turning on:
1/ turn on the DMP Z1
2/ make sure the PSU is plugged in and hooked to the DMP Z1
3/ then turn on the PSU

Idling:

***the DMP Z1 has to be in operational mode. That means it has to play music otherwise it will switch to idling***. This will trigger both the PSU and the DMP Z1 to simultaneously switching on and off which can damage both!!!

turning off:

1/ I always make sure to Pause the DMP Z1 first
2/ then proceed to turn off the PSU
3/ wait until the DMP Z1 is done switching back to Battery mode
4/ wait until the Light on the PSU is completely off
5/ now you can unplug everything and bring it everywhere you want to

how to obtain a Sigma 11 PSU ? DIY is one way, the second way is to Contact Tikan or people at DIY forum for inquiries. Sometimes it is popped up for sale here and there. But it is best to post a “wanted” thread

the best way to get what you want is to DIY as you can tune and use different components to your liking

Cool that you tested that. i use also the sigma 11 for my aries femto streamer and another network streamer, a nice psu. think i try this also, have a spare sigma 11 pcb in the attic. may i ask you which transformer you used, when i look at the sony powerbrick with 45va i should be a 20v/2.5a or higher transformer. do you used r8 10k and r10 16k? thanks for the info, well done :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back