Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Oct 31, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,456 of 4,319
If you already have an sp1000 I would recommend maybe the Hugo TT2. It has a much more powerful amp than the z1 and imo a better dac section. You can feed it with the sp1000 too all that the sp1000 is missing is roon integration.
What make you say that TT2 has better DAC section that Z1 ?

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,457 of 4,319
What make you say that TT2 has better DAC section that Z1 ?

I had a chance to listen to them side by side. I only listened with the lcd 4z at the time I don't think the sony could drive the abyss well with the power that it has available on tap. The chord is a more transparent presentation this might be due to the way that the headphone out integrated differently. The chord also had better instrument separation and a wider sound stage. I was not able to compare on a speaker setup which I think is more telling of a dac. I also am not a fan of a product at this price not having a true line out.

I am not saying that the sony didn't sound good but I think it is overpriced for sure. At msrp you are in the pric3 range of a Dave or TT2 and Mscaler.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,458 of 4,319
I had a chance to listen to them side by side. I only listened with the lcd 4z at the time I don't think the sony could drive the abyss well with the power that it has available on tap. The chord is a more transparent presentation this might be due to the way that the headphone out integrated differently. The chord also had better instrument separation and a wider sound stage. I was not able to compare on a speaker setup which I think is more telling of a dac. I also am not a fan of a product at this price not having a true line out.

I am not saying that the sony didn't sound good but I think it is overpriced for sure. At msrp you are in the pric3 range of a Dave or TT2 and Mscaler.

Isn’t that just your opinion ? My opinion when I listened to DMP and DAVE I picked DMP clearly. And hearing, listening, opinions don’t meant that DMP technically has inferior DAC section, which is my question as of why you stated so

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #1,459 of 4,319
Isn’t that just your opinion ? My opinion when I listened to DMP and DAVE I picked DMP clearly. And hearing, listening, opinions don’t meant that DMP technically has inferior DAC section, which is my question as of why you stated so

I never said that it was inferior. I just said that in my opinion the TT2 was better than the dmp z1. It is still a great product I just like the TT2 more. The TT2 really isn't portable so the sony wins in that regard.

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,460 of 4,319
Hi,
Thank you. Seems like the new Apple cost is on par with Sony.
For me, I never like something white color dangling from the ears down. Seems like Apple like to design something for customers to advertise their annoying products.
I have the Sony.
My son tried to fit the Sony but not comfortable for him. Maybe, I will get the Apple for him this Christmas.

One more thing to ask from you. How is the fit vs Sony?
Is Apple easier to fit than Sony? Thanks again.

Much much easier fit -- way less bulk and I literally can't tell they're in except sound and not hearing anyone else

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #1,461 of 4,319
A bit of impression on the airpod: they're build like the airpods, plug and play ease of use at its finest.
ANC is around half as strong as the sony, tho the lack of pressure built up is nice as the upside of that port.
Case much more portable, personalization is nonexistent, i love being able to EQ the Sony (as itsvalready a device tuned by DSP, why care about EQ degradation anymore XD)
But thats that. Maybe someone should make a n Airpod pro impression thread or something, its good enough to have one.
Back to the topic

Did you use it with the 4.4 bal out?

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #1,462 of 4,319
it's true that my dmp-z1 can't drive the ab1266 phi to his full potential, tried it via the balanced port on normal and high. was a surprise for me because with the diana phi it's a perfekt match. even if the big abyss needs only a bit more power as the diana phi it hits the border of the dmp-z1 (power delivery/control).

as good as the diana phi pairing are the obrave ra c together with the dmp-z1. i have no other pairing for the obravo thats sounds so good.

both the diana phi and obravo are quite neutral/natural/linear sounding headgear, a fine match for the dmp-z1 who has a warmer tonal character whitout loosing details. the dmp-z1 reminds to the great nice sounding sony amps some decades ago, it's great that sony didn't forget this dna, the wm-z1 was the first product since years which had this fine character again (but not as refinded as the dmp-z1).

it's also true for me that i prefer the dmp-z1 over the chord products, imo they are not primary technical inferior but lacks the refinement in the tonal signature for me (which the dave is fine vs the overall brut hugo 2). i would not be suprised if they measure (a lot) better but i miss the fine touch in the tonal signature. that's the hard part, it's nothing that you can be measured but needs a lot of time testing different transistors, resistors, parts etc to finde a fine match.

the sony dmp-z1 is beaten by my big desktop gear but not by much, for me it's a dap/amp that competes easy with gear in the 10k price range. but it's also a product for someone who can value that a technical gear can have a quality of a fine violin and thus have a own character that shapes the music you play.

imo i think this is the big divider whithin the audiphile communicty, is it's ok that the gear you are using shapes the sound you play?

at the end it's your decision - as long you get goosebumps your on the right track :).

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #1,467 of 4,319
@rumina
Great post!

I agree with most of your impression I ncluding that the DMP falling just a little short of the high end desktop system. What desktop system do you have?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #1,469 of 4,319
And neither of you tried DMP Z1 to external amps. That isn’t a fair call tbh
I will brother...I will. I get very lazy from time to time.

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #1,470 of 4,319
I will brother...I will. I get very lazy from time to time.

hahahaha you 2 are flipp’n funny! So Ive tried it. It’s pretty cool. Definitely give it a try! :beerchug:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back