Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #692 of 4,314
Can someone share a retail shop in Japan that has these units in stock, and ships internationally?
Thanks

No one will ship internationally, you'll need to go through a proxy.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #693 of 4,314

So this got delivered to my house today....

Works wonderfully well with the Focal Clear, don't even need to go past 11 o'clock. So far puts out the familiar Clear sound that I get with the Hugo 2, perhaps with a touch more bottom end. I really wish I had my MDR-Z1R with me because I was really blown away at the show with that combo but alas it's in a different country at the moment.

The first time I saw the DMP-Z1 as well as talking with both Sato-sans I already know it was well made and crafted with great care, but putting it side by side with the Hugo 2 the difference is enormous, it seriously makes the Hugo 2 look poorly put together with the huge seam which doesn't quite line up, whereas the DMP-Z1 is just so beautifully designed and put together that it is a show piece all by itself.

DMP-Z1 with my fully custom tuned Just ear MH1 - the best of the best from Sony.

There's really not much point to talk about the sound at this point, as like the Walkmans the DMP-Z1 will need at least 200 hours of run time before the OS caps will settle into their optimum operating state, so any impressions now is not going to be representative. Revisiting this after the run-in would be necessary.

Sound aside, I was seriously debating between this or the Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler combo over several months as I've tried both setups numerous times at shops and trade shows, but as I've emphasised numerous times before already, I have an eye for the "all-in-one box" solution as I've been frequently moving across countries in the past year, so the stationary and bigger desktop systems simply will not fit my lifestyle, not to mention the Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler combo costs MORE than the DMP-Z1, and that's not even factoring in preparing a clean USB source for it as well as the interconnects. A one box solution lets me enjoy music more and fiddle less - MUCH LESS - and this is extremely attractive and is worth the price of admission. Not to mention it integrates nicely with all my gear which are now all 4.4mm ready, as well as being able to use the same syncing software as the Walkman so I was up and running in next to no time with the exact same playlists and contents as my 1Z Walkman. Sometimes the convenience and seamless integration *is* worth the money, and not just the sound.

Congratulations on receiving such a beauty.

I was really not interested in DMP-Z1 at first, dismissing it as an insane product with zero Sony genes in it... mostly due to its DAC chips being AKM instead of in-house. Admittedly there's more to a dac/amp product than the DAC chip.

But now I'm getting more interested in it... planning to audition it this weekend. I'm looking for an all-in-one solution as well since I don't want to deal with the hassle of maintaining a full fledged home system. (Mainly i don't want to dust that thing)

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #694 of 4,314
Congratulations on receiving such a beauty.

I was really not interested in DMP-Z1 at first, dismissing it as an insane product with zero Sony genes in it... mostly due to its DAC chips being AKM instead of in-house. Admittedly there's more to a dac/amp product than the DAC chip.

But now I'm getting more interested in it... planning to audition it this weekend. I'm looking for an all-in-one solution as well since I don't want to deal with the hassle of maintaining a full fledged home system. (Mainly i don't want to dust that thing)

I completely understand the "zero Sony DNA" angle, as at first when Sato-san told me they aren't using the S-Master chip it was exactly the same reaction I had. However the more I get to talk with Sato-san and Sony engineers, getting more hands on and even touch and examine the PCBs and the custom Alps RK501, and of course getting more ear time, the more I can appreciate the passion which had gone into the product. And of course, the change in lifestyle also has a huge impact on my decision. Under different circumstances, I would most probably have bought the M-scaler first and then eventually trade my Hugo 2 for the TT2.

20181216_065724870_iOS.jpg
20181216_065758015_iOS.jpg
20181216_065824786_iOS.jpg
20181216_065834307_iOS.jpg
20181216_065922913_iOS.jpg
20181216_065957904_iOS.jpg
20181216_070013422_iOS.jpg

I think one of the major turning points was last year at PortaFes where I had the opportunity to handle and examine each of the components separately and look at how it was put together. That's the point where it really clicked with me.

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #695 of 4,314
I have been using the RK50 for over 6 years now and that thing is an amazing piece of engineering. I paid $650 for my DIY T2 and I believe price has gone up since then. @nanaholic, congratulations on acquiring the Z1.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #696 of 4,314
I completely understand the "zero Sony DNA" angle, as at first when Sato-san told me they aren't using the S-Master chip it was exactly the same reaction I had. However the more I get to talk with Sato-san and Sony engineers, getting more hands on and even touch and examine the PCBs and the custom Alps RK501, and of course getting more ear time, the more I can appreciate the passion which had gone into the product. And of course, the change in lifestyle also has a huge impact on my decision. Under different circumstances, I would most probably have bought the M-scaler first and then eventually trade my Hugo 2 for the TT2.

I think one of the major turning points was last year at PortaFes where I had the opportunity to handle and examine each of the components separately and look at how it was put together. That's the point where it really clicked with me.
ps great photography there. amplifies the engineering and build quality.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #697 of 4,314
Feb 23, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #698 of 4,314

On that ALPS RK501... there's been pictures floating around on that copper shell falling off revealing bunch of plastics inside haha

I understand it wouldn't be practical to use all metal for electronic component that's going to be subject to touch.

But did the engineers ever tell you why the outer shell of the volume knob contributed to sound quality? I'm rather curious as to why.

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #699 of 4,314
On that ALPS RK501... there's been pictures floating around on that copper shell falling off revealing bunch of plastics inside haha

I understand it wouldn't be practical to use all metal for electronic component that's going to be subject to touch.

But did the engineers ever tell you why the outer shell of the volume knob contributed to sound quality? I'm rather curious as to why.

Not sure about the knob, but the shell does, yeah.

1/ the shells is like a ground, and electricity always drain to the closest ground

2/ the shells materials can be a shield, blocking interferences, and or absorbing interferences

RK-50 has been using Brass and gold plating body since forever. The one used on DMP-Z1 is as stated by Sony, a special order. Not sure what it is special about...maybe instead of brass, it is copper gold plating shells

I am all about using the best quality and components for the stuff. But, from my point of view, there are a lot of empty spaces on the board

Then again, I would...buy the Z1 and build a portable dual rail Linear power supply to use AC main when there is AC main, instead of the stock switching DC one. But I ended up not grabbing it

20190216_110345.jpg 20190216_110356.jpg 20190216_110622.jpg 20190216_110631.jpg 20190216_110635.jpg 20190216_110303.jpg

20190216_110318.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #700 of 4,314

1/ the shells is like a ground, and electricity always drain to the closest ground

2/ the shells materials can be a shield, blocking interferences, and or absorbing interferences

RK-50 has been using Brass and gold plating body since forever. The one used on DMP-Z1 is as stated by Sony, a special order. Not sure what it is.

I am all about using the best quality and components for the stuff. But, from my point of view, there are a lot of empty spaces on the board

Then again, I would...buy the Z1 and build a portable dual rail Linear power supply to use AC main when there is AC main, instead of the stock switching DC one. But I ended up not grabbing it

obv, the empty spaces on circuit cards are for increasing the area thus decreasing the resonant frequencies and increasing its real estate market value. haha?

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #701 of 4,314

That’s a silly picture posted by people who don’t know how the knob is put together.

This is what the ALPS RK501 looks l like:

RK50112_1_400x300.jpg

In the DMP-Z1 the centre thin turning rod sticks out of the chassis while the body is embedded inside the device. The supposed cap which fell off is not part of the RK501. Now to connect the outside volume knob cap to the centre turning rod the usual method is to drill a screw hole in the outside cap and into the centre turning rod and screw the two pieces together, however in the DMP-Z1 the designer had decided to make the cap completely seamless so when you touch it you won't feel a screw hole, and to achieve this they first mounted a plastic base on the rod (it's plastic because you want it to be an insulator so it doesn't interact with the actual RK501 knob to change its characteristic as this is a pure analogue component), and then they glue the outside gold plated cap onto this plastic base. This is exactly how it should be done and making fun of it just shows a lack of understanding of how things are put together.

RK-50 has been using Brass and gold plating body since forever. The one used on DMP-Z1 is as stated by Sony, a special order. Not sure what it is special about...maybe instead of brass, it is copper gold plating shells

The RK501 in the DMP-Z1 is a brass body, coated in copper, then coated in gold. So it is completely unique to the DMP-Z1 and not an off the shelf part.

Also speaking as an electrical engineer, the space in the components in the DMP-Z1 shows Sony's "cost is of no concern" approach in the DMP-Z1 rather than corners being cut. Electrical engineers likes to pack as many components in the smallest space possible is a result of maximising space efficiency and reducing production cost - this is because a smaller PCB is cheaper to make and that the smaller the PCB the shorter you can make the copper tracks which means production cost is reduce. An electrical engineer being able to make a smaller PCB means he is a master of cost saving and a master of space efficiency. However if you think back to high school science you would also know that a moving electric current generates a magnetic field, which means when exposed copper tracks and components are placed closed together they will be subjected to nearby interference, and to guard against these interference you either put in shielding, but since this isn't possible with exposed copper tracks on the PCB so putting plain old space between the components such that propagation loss reduces the effects of such interference. And obviously this is how the DMP-Z1 does it. This is most definitely a feature and not a bug.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #702 of 4,314
That’s a silly picture posted by people who don’t know how the knob is put together.

In the DMP-Z1 the centre thin turning rod sticks out of the chassis while the body is embedded inside the device. The supposed cap which fell off is not part of the RK501. Now to connect the outside volume knob cap to the centre turning rod the usual method is to drill a screw hole in the outside cap and into the centre turning rod and screw the two pieces together, however in the DMP-Z1 the designer had decided to make the cap completely seamless so when you touch it you won't feel a screw hole, and to achieve this they first mounted a plastic base on the rod (it's plastic because you want it to be an insulator so it doesn't interact with the actual RK501 knob to change its characteristic as this is a pure analogue component), and then they glue the outside gold plated cap onto this plastic base. This is exactly how it should be done and making fun of it just shows a lack of understanding of how things are put together.

The RK501 in the DMP-Z1 is a brass body, coated in copper, then coated in gold. So it is completely unique to the DMP-Z1 and not an off the shelf part.

Also speaking as an electrical engineer, the space in the components in the DMP-Z1 shows Sony's "cost is of no concern" approach in the DMP-Z1 rather than corners being cut. Electrical engineers likes to pack as many components in the smallest space possible is a result of maximising space efficiency and reducing production cost - this is because a smaller PCB is cheaper to make and that the smaller the PCB the shorter you can make the copper tracks which means production cost is reduce. An electrical engineer being able to make a smaller PCB means he is a master of cost saving and a master of space efficiency. However if you think back to high school science you would also know that a moving electric current generates a magnetic field, which means when exposed copper tracks and components are placed closed together they will be subjected to nearby interference, and to guard against these interference you either put in shielding, but since this isn't possible with exposed copper tracks on the PCB so putting plain old space between the components such that propagation loss reduces the effects of such interference. And obviously this is how the DMP-Z1 does it. This is most definitely a feature and not a bug.

Thank you so much for this clarification. Felt really stupid for thinking the outer shell is part of the RK501. I was thinking "if the gold coating was so important, wouldn't daily use alter its sound characteristics by exposing it". Now it all makes sense.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #703 of 4,314

agree. well said.
EE who works in a vacuum. i mean outer space. in a clean room ...

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #704 of 4,314
I will leave the EE discussion aside.....but the DMP-Z1 cand definitely be built better with those large spaces and price point, and that is from my technical standpoint

Anyways, there gotta be room for the next successor , isn’t it :wink:

Modifications can always be done :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back