Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #676 of 4,319
Amazing prices in the U.S. Can't imagine what the folks in Europe will have to fork out for one.
The street prices in Hong Kong are so much lower, and I do mean so much lower... I bet sentiments here will vastly change, if you have access such prices.

Well, at least you get cheap gas prices. You win some, you lose some.

Out of curiosity what are the street prices on HK? For those who really want one there are obviously the obvious Japan buying services

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #678 of 4,319
Speaking as someone who has the 1Z, had the TA, and currently runs the Z1R and Utopia both with Axios cables, I was BLOWN away at the HeadAmp booth listening to their new GSX Mini amp which was fronting the new Mytek Brooklyn Bridge DAC amp. The "Bridge" is their Brooklyn + desktop DAC/Amp with enhanced features.

A seriously incredible piece. If you look at the CANJAM impressions thread a few people are mentioning the Mytek pieces. The Brooklyn+ is the same price as the TA. I know which one I would buy

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #679 of 4,319
Amazing prices in the U.S. Can't imagine what the folks in Europe will have to fork out for one.
The street prices in Hong Kong are so much lower, and I do mean so much lower... I bet sentiments here will vastly change, if you have access such prices.

Well, at least you get cheap gas prices. You win some, you lose some.

Ot; Mm....I never pay full retail (almost never) except for the HE 1. But HK is duty-free/No VAT/No sales tax.

About driving, Open back HPs or in-ears like the iSine 10 = like listening to car stereo (to maintain situational awareness) and I pause the DMP or other players whenever the situation calls for it. Long stretches of highway is perfect for headphone listening. City driving, not so much.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #680 of 4,319
Speaking as someone who has the 1Z, had the TA, and currently runs the Z1R and Utopia both with Axios cables, I was BLOWN away at the HeadAmp booth listening to their new GSX Mini amp which was fronting the new Mytek Brooklyn Bridge DAC amp. The "Bridge" is their Brooklyn + desktop DAC/Amp with enhanced features.

A seriously incredible piece. If you look at the CANJAM impressions thread a few people are mentioning the Mytek pieces. The Brooklyn+ is the same price as the TA. I know which one I would buy
Did you listen at all directly out of the Mytek?
Thx

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #681 of 4,319
Mm....oh hello there, big brother....

Both exquisite machines.......just got the hard to get Nordost Heimdall 2 XLR to 4.4 mm adaptor from a Taipei vendor. Now, I can listen to balanced DMP. My Z1R is finally listenable.

Edit: out of the unbal, the Z1R sounded ordinary. The bal output made the Z1R earn its badge as a high-quality headphones; better dynamics, better instrument separation and the bass quality is noticeably improved. Put another way, the Z1R scales up depending on what is driving it. I listened mostly to audiophile vocals and guitar music (Chesky Records Guitar Collection). Timbre is spot-on.
LOL what did you use to cover the volume knob there~? Did the Golden shininess mess too much with the lens?
Anyway, goddamn endgame setup bud, congratz~

About driving while listening to headphone, I bet you'll be one of those people that'd be fi st in line to get a level 4 self driving cars...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #682 of 4,319
Feb 19, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #683 of 4,319
LOL what did you use to cover the volume knob there~? Did the Golden shininess mess too much with the lens?
Anyway, goddamn endgame setup bud, congratz~

About driving while listening to headphone, I bet you'll be one of those people that'd be fi st in line to get a level 4 self driving cars...

Mm....grabbed the nearest rubber from my nightstand............a balloon from a party sometime ago. The golden knob is shiny. Shiny means scratches. This thing has so many micro abrasions even though I ve been very careful. P

Last week, I missed my highway exit by around 4 miles (it was near midnight) because I was such in a good mood. The culprit: the Shure KSE 1500. Still one of the top iems.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #684 of 4,319
Actually, to avoid that same incident, a Tesla is enough, they know when and where to exit highway at least.

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #685 of 4,319
I know what you meant, and you are right, so no debate here. The DMP-Z1 is easily the best of portable device that can be at the moment as I said before, if you don’t mind the not so carriable size and weight, but you don’t also want to haggle with a desktop with other stuff to tinker with. The only one of it kind ATM

The post you quoted me, simply I was just agreeing with @buzzlulu as both of us are also into different stuff and not only portable. We know there are better to be had and achieved at the same given price point, and that was simply it

I'm not really disagreeing with you or buzzlulu either - if you don't need an all-in-one device, then yes you can get better sound for less, I'm just pointing out that if you remove the all-in-one aspect - which is easily one if not THE biggest feature of the DMP-Z1 that any potential buyers would take note of - then it's no longer a valid comparison.

I suspect anyone whom is interested in the DMP-Z1 must at least have an eye on that "one box" aspect as a necessary requirement, if not they would've already looked elsewhere. So much so that I would go out on a limb and say that should probably be anyone's starting point when looking at the DMP-Z1 - are you really wanting that one box solution or you are open to spend time mixing multiple components to get equal or better results? If you don't need one box, then just move on.

Also from talking with Sato-san, he carries his DMP-Z1 in the prototype Van Nuys sling bag paired with the special DMP-Z1 tuned Just ear and commutes from his home in Chiba to central Tokyo everyday on the Tsukuba Express line. I teased him and said maybe this thing is portable after all and he laughed while saying carryin 3kg (with the WM1Z in the bag too for good measure) is good exercise.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #689 of 4,319
20190222_151714188_iOS.jpg

So this got delivered to my house today....

20190222_154048476_iOS.jpg

Works wonderfully well with the Focal Clear, don't even need to go past 11 o'clock. So far puts out the familiar Clear sound that I get with the Hugo 2, perhaps with a touch more bottom end. I really wish I had my MDR-Z1R with me because I was really blown away at the show with that combo but alas it's in a different country at the moment.

20190222_152655645_iOS.jpg

The first time I saw the DMP-Z1 as well as talking with both Sato-sans I already know it was well made and crafted with great care, but putting it side by side with the Hugo 2 the difference is enormous, it seriously makes the Hugo 2 look poorly put together with the huge seam which doesn't quite line up, whereas the DMP-Z1 is just so beautifully designed and put together that it is a show piece all by itself.

20190222_152816295_iOS.jpg

DMP-Z1 with my fully custom tuned Just ear MH1 - the best of the best from Sony.

There's really not much point to talk about the sound at this point, as like the Walkmans the DMP-Z1 will need at least 200 hours of run time before the OS caps will settle into their optimum operating state, so any impressions now is not going to be representative. Revisiting this after the run-in would be necessary.

Sound aside, I was seriously debating between this or the Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler combo over several months as I've tried both setups numerous times at shops and trade shows, but as I've emphasised numerous times before already, I have an eye for the "all-in-one box" solution as I've been frequently moving across countries in the past year, so the stationary and bigger desktop systems simply will not fit my lifestyle, not to mention the Hugo TT2 + M-Scaler combo costs MORE than the DMP-Z1, and that's not even factoring in preparing a clean USB source for it as well as the interconnects. A one box solution lets me enjoy music more and fiddle less - MUCH LESS - and this is extremely attractive and is worth the price of admission. Not to mention it integrates nicely with all my gear which are now all 4.4mm ready, as well as being able to use the same syncing software as the Walkman so I was up and running in next to no time with the exact same playlists and contents as my 1Z Walkman. Sometimes the convenience and seamless integration *is* worth the money, and not just the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back