Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Aug 12, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #153 of 4,317
Guys lets not forget Sony has given us the WM1A, which is a great value, it will soon have all the new features that will make it an ideal pairing for Tidal users, USB users and BT streamers. Let them have this one insane product.

The stupid thing is, as I'm typing this I'm trying to figure out how I can afford the DMP-Z1, I think I'm sold! I love Sony too much, this is my issue.

Aug 12, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #154 of 4,317
By the way, you think Sony as a leader ? DMP-Z1 is the first of it kind: Carriable Players (neither stationable, transportable nor Portable) that is between a desktop and a DAP ! It is uniquely first of it kind[/QUOTE]
Guys lets not forget Sony has given us the WM1A, which is a great value, it will soon have all the new features that will make it an ideal pairing for Tidal users, USB users and BT streamers. Let them have this one insane product.

The stupid thing is, as I'm typing this I'm trying to figure out how I can afford the DMP-Z1, I think I'm sold! I love Sony too much, this is my issue.
Agreed on the WM1Z/A, but even more on the ZX300. I was disappointed because the Z1 can scale even higher height if they do their own analog headphones design. As much as I love Sony, the Z1 is just not for me. Maybe at half off...I will buy one.

Aug 12, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #155 of 4,317
By the way, you think Sony as a leader ? DMP-Z1 is the first of it kind: Carriable Players (neither stationable, transportable nor Portable) that is between a desktop and a DAP ! It is uniquely first of it kind[
I do, they are the Nikola Tesla of audio, always doing things their way.
If I can find a way to pay it off, I'm sold.

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #156 of 4,317

Why Bluetooth ? For streaming ? Is it possible to stream Tidal via Bluetooth ? ?

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #158 of 4,317
Folks, for a minute, changing the discussion to a slightly different angle. If DMP was announced at say $ 4-5K, would the reaction be the same. I would drop the "Flagship" term as all the products in their signature series are in some ways flagship products. Hearing the term Flagship get people to react much more forcefully than otherwise.

So the discussion ought be at what price this is a damn good offering, Perhaps Sony will monitor this discussion and providing some constructive feedback will be far more valuable than repeatedly criticizing the offering as not worthy of "Flagship".

There are already good nuggets of suggestions that this forum has provided (like alternates for $ 1K volume attenuator).

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #159 of 4,317
I hope Sony will demo the DMP-Z1 side by side with the TA-ZH1ES with ZX300 as transport..so a direct comparison can be made.

They need to go back and study their heritage. The RK50 was used in the TA-ER1 in 1989.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-ER1.html

Getting a bit off topic, but the TA-ER1 did not use an ALPS. Based on the markings it's from Matsushita, but possibly sub-contracted to Tokyo KO-ON Denpa.

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #160 of 4,317
There are already good nuggets of suggestions that this forum has provided (like alternates for $ 1K volume attenuator).
Sony did not pay anywhere remotely close to $1000 for a volume pot, I would be shocked if they paid even $300. I found a DIY forum where in 2015 an RK50 was sold for $498US, and that is to a hobbyist. Sony is not paying anywhere, not even remotely close to 1K for a volume pot, not a chance.

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #161 of 4,317
Sony did not pay anywhere remotely close to $1000 for a volume pot, I would be shocked if they paid even $300. I found a DIY forum where in 2015 an RK50 was sold for $498US, and that is to a hobbyist. Sony is not paying anywhere, not even remotely close to 1K for a volume pot, not a chance.
That is actually used or second hand unit. For many manufacturers, bulk buying powers get them around $550 or slightly less. The thing about used parts (not everyone need them, diy is a small demand, let alone used unit). Regardless, RK50 is still the most expensive and king of performances for it kind. It is right to claim that they are using the most expensive products.

Let’s not talk about BOM costs, just look at their designs and MSRP. We are mainly talking about this. Why so expensive for off the shelves stuff ? Battery power and not linear power supply.

For the record, Li-ion battery or any other batteries has Life expectancy. The power supply is very important for any expensive products, and ofcourse a discrete linear power supply would last a life time VS battery. For this price, the batteries better be lifetime replacement free of charge.

We are not talking about Smartphones where people upgrade once per few years. This is niche Audiophile equipments that needs to last for decades, and for this price, it should be

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #163 of 4,317
Price in the USA will be $7900 and that's a super heavy price tag indeed. Chord Dave is now a slightly better deal.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #165 of 4,317
It would be interesting to find out more about this new solder alloy they've developed and whether it's been used everywhere, or just selectively.

While this solder type is exotic in most applications, it is very commonly found in high performance scientific equipment. Nothing to write home about really, and definitely not a "new" discovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back