Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,006 of 4,470
Yeah, well...I love my DMP :). She fits right into my setup nicely, wherever I put her. Here is another shot

4E804AE9-1752-4454-8A0F-1EEB6D513949.jpeg

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #1,007 of 4,470
So, I have been burning it in while listening to it. However, I found it exciting to have found the correct DSP setting out of all of it features. You can have all 6 different filters from AKM4497EQ itself, and then DSD-Remastering engine together with DSD filtering options from Sony Proprietary Digital Signal Processor (DSP). Then there are DSEE HX AI, Vinyl engine, Bass/treble tone control....etc....but I found what I have been after now, and I will share it out here. Yes, sound is subjective and what I prefer may not be your cup of tea. I would love it if everybody could share their finding for their favorite genres

So, my genres of enjoyments are hugely varied from classical to instruments, orchestra, jazz, classic rock, classic pop, modern pop...etc...I have found a perfect match for the performances that doesn’t everything universally well, and hugely benefit from Tonal body, timbres density, liquidity and full of emotions. My main genres is still pop, instruments...

Setting > Output Setting > DAC filtering setting > Sharp

Setting > Device setting > Battery preferred

DSD playback setting > select filtering gain > Slow Roll Off

Back to setting > Sound > Direct Source > DSD Remastering

Attached is showing the step responds measurement of ak4497EQ too from specs sheets

B4D7D352-EF7F-4A44-8C43-A3180B042E43.jpeg 2285B01B-E5F3-4875-AE83-AE97875632D2.jpeg 0300CC9C-71E0-4F3C-A0F2-78074081AA33.jpeg 4F9E1891-436F-4B0A-AC79-E5805E0B1FC2.jpeg 61403D19-E8E6-4CB7-BD35-E35FF46B883D.jpeg
0CCA2D86-6E93-4458-884B-3795E5112B33.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,008 of 4,470
So, I have been burning it in while listening to it. However, I found it exciting to have found the correct DSP setting out of all of it features. You can have all 6 different filters from AKM4497EQ itself, and then DSD-Remastering engine together with DSD filtering options from Sony Proprietary Digital Signal Processor (DSP). Then there are DSEE HX AI, Vinyl engine, Bass/treble tone control....etc....but I found what I have been after now, and I will share it out here. Yes, sound is subjective and what I prefer may not be your cup of tea. I would love it if everybody could share their finding for their favorite genres

So, my genres of enjoyments are hugely varied from classical to instruments, orchestra, jazz, classic rock, classic pop, modern pop...etc...I have found a perfect match for the performances that doesn’t everything universally well, and hugely benefit from Tonal body, timbres density, liquidity and full of emotions. My main genres is still pop, instruments...

Setting > Output Setting > DAC filtering setting > Sharp

Setting > Device setting > Battery preferred

DSD playback setting > select filtering gain > Slow Roll Off

Back to setting > Sound > Direct Source > DSD Remastering

I checked my settings and mine is the same as yours. Only thing I remember changing after I bought mine is the battery preferred and DSD remastering.

Perfect for those stated genres of music :thumbsup:

Jun 8, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,010 of 4,470
In DAC mode, the DMP will lag if used with youtube/netflix right? Just wanna make sure it's not my unit's fault.

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #1,012 of 4,470
It is an issue common across all walkman OS, so it is certainly unique to DMP-Z1.

Got it. And I assume there's no way around it? I mean watching The Office through the DMP might be fun :D

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #1,014 of 4,470
I notice there is no lag using Bluetooth connection, or at least the lag is much less noticeable compared to USB DAC mode.

Interesting. Will give that a go. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #1,017 of 4,470
Testing DMP Z1 with DSD-remastering now and again. The last time I found out that DSD processed by HQplayerPro isn’t as good as DMP self remastering. I was using DSD64 the same as DSD - Remastering can do on the DMP.

When using processing of ASDM7 and Polysinc-Ext2 with DSD256 as the highest the DMP can do. The performances goes up another notch in: soundstage depth/width, details, controls and darker background

However, when I tried the method of RobWatt by compressing DSD64 or SACD into 368Khz with 1-Million tap lengths, and then reprocessing back into DSD256 by HQplayerPro, the music losses it acoustic room reverbs and instruments housing unique reverb/delays.

This finding is in line with what I also found on another Portable player , the DX200 and the DX220 from Ibasso. This conclusion of SACD being the best of what a Studio and it artists behind the science are the best sounding if you are looking to listen to music the way “the artists intended”. To listen by RobWatt Theory, you are listening to Chord unique Digital Signal Processing algorithms and filters from Chord alone, and nothing to do with the “music as the studio intended”. Ofcourse, once can debate that not all “music as the studio intended” can sound good .... for example, clipping, loudness, distortions....etc...I found myself that even with the rarer form of SACD, the best of them all is from Japanese Remastered. Anyhow, the theory will not change, SACD can not be tinkered any further, and if a studio had bad engineering teams, then a good record will sound bad, and vice versa......Therefore, the final conclusion is that SACD is the best shot to “hear the music as Intended”

The next thing in line when you have any PCM formats such as WAV or FLAC. It is better to enjoy the music with DSD processing by a good algorithms to the best the Devices can handle. The best program I have found so far is HQplayerPro as it is the most precise and neutral one. The other affordable one is Xivero, but you will not have the options to change or alternate the signatures of your whole track by different Modulators and digital filters as HQplayerPro

It is also dependent on the track and genres that the DSD-Remastering from DMP is excel at, for example classical and organic instruments. They are so good on DMP Remastering engine, and it sound to me that Sony tunes and develope this features by using organic instruments and classical genres as the tuning and references points. That confirms the DSD remastering engine on the DMP is quiet good by itself ,when compared (processing of PCM into DSD64 against HQplayerPro), and if you do not want to seek further complications of enjoying the music, having DSD remastering engine (or on the fly conversions) by Sony and the DMP is excellent feature to enjoy while saving storage space. This feature alone by itself should be worth the money already ! The last time this feature on TA-ZH1ES wasn’t giving me such Wow impression, but on the DMP and eventhough it is only DSD64 vs DSD128 on TA-ZH1ES, the DMP still giving the “wow”. Hopefully, Sony in the future will allow with firmware to DSD-remastering into DSD256 on the DMP.

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,019 of 4,470
Just my 2 cents but if the "wow" is there then all the numbers are meaningless? (except maybe the prices) :beyersmile:
You are right :). It all comes down to the engineering and components being used. This was one of the reason why I went with the DMP. Just for one example, DSD256 remastered on TA-ZH1ES may not sound as good as DSD128 on the DMP for a fact that DMP analog and digital essential circuitry are all built with PML caps that minimizes or eliminate the acoustic noises due to piezoelectric, and while the Fine Sound resistors are the most precise resistors with highest tolerances and developed especially for Music and frequencies retentions by itself.

Simply put, every one can cook and serve up a steak dinners. Given the same chef, and techniques, but with different cut of steaks and vegetables, your dishes will be better than others :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back