Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Mar 11, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #751 of 4,319
Mm...I have not timed it but I’ve done several straight 6 hour listening sessions with some battery life to spare. It does recharge fast.

I reckon battery life is more than enough for a long-haul flight.
HAHA they'd probably have you arrested or call the bomb squad if you tried to board a plane with such a device LMAO!

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #752 of 4,319
HAHA they'd probably have you arrested or call the bomb squad if you tried to board a plane with such a device LMAO!

Not exactly, but some of them could give you a good time over it :). I traveled with WM-1Z before, and most of the time, all went well.

One of the thing that Sony do not advertise or mention about the unique-capability of the DMP-Z1.

The Artificial Intelligent inside the DMP-Z1.

The idea is that while listening to PCM, a raw compressed (that is right, FLAC is still compressed) data of binary coding, we rely on the algorithms, and the way each different modulators are working to convert and reconstruct the sound into analog reproduction. That means, we use the same set of algorithm, modulation for everything, genres, instruments...etc...etc..

The question is, can you cook geese the way you do Beef ? The answer is NNNOOO!

So, in order to achieve a better and more accurate fidelity, you would have to be able to realize what genres is being played, what instruments you are having, Strings, drums, brass, winds, what type....etc.....and you apply different methods to reconstruct the end results. In order to do this, you need a good engineers, studio, and great set of ears to remaster it.

But, how about, we have it inside your device on the go ? Welcome to AI-DSEE-HX.

If I am sold by the DMP-Z1, this is the only reason

The only device in the world to take advantage of this . So you guys, who have this, and don’t use this function....I don’t know what to say, but I thought I should bring it up to you all

Remember, you can not cook Chicken the way you do Beef. Therefore, you can not use the same algorithms and modulation for the same of everything. Enjoy guys!

FCCBD8E2-F4C6-4A9B-AD75-9A5AE8311407.jpeg

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #753 of 4,319
Not exactly, but some of them could give you a good time over it :). I traveled with WM-1Z before, and most of the time, all went well.

One of the thing that Sony do not advertise or mention about the unique-capability of the DMP-Z1.

The Artificial Intelligent inside the DMP-Z1.

The idea is that while listening to PCM, a raw compressed (that is right, FLAC is still compressed) data of binary coding, we rely on the algorithms, and the way each different modulators are working to convert and reconstruct the sound into analog reproduction. That means, we use the same set of algorithm, modulation for everything, genres, instruments...etc...etc..

The question is, can you cook geese the way you do Beef ? The answer is NNNOOO!

So, in order to achieve a better and more accurate fidelity, you would have to be able to realize what genres is being played, what instruments you are having, Strings, drums, brass, winds, what type....etc.....and you apply different methods to reconstruct the end results. In order to do this, you need a good engineers, studio, and great set of ears to remaster it.

But, how about, we have it inside your device on the go ? Welcome to AI-DSEE-HX.

If I am sold by the DMP-Z1, this is the only reason

The only device in the world to take advantage of this . So you guys, who have this, and don’t use this function....I don’t know what to say, but I thought I should bring it up to you all

Remember, you can not cook Chicken the way you do Beef. Therefore, you can not use the same algorithms and modulation for the same of everything. Enjoy guys!

I did not notice this on the product website before, it definitely sounds interesting, but I question if it is "real" AI that learns or if there are just defined algorithms that recognize rock, jazz, classical, etc. Either way, definitely innovative...!

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #754 of 4,319
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #755 of 4,319
Pretty much agree with @Whitigir .

This new DSEE HX is also avalaible in other devices.

@Wooglish DSEE HX works using pretrained models. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning

More info: https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/dseehx/

Don’t be confused, many other SONY have DSEE-HX.

The DMP-Z1 has a unique set of DSEE-HX. It has the AI to do a higher processing steps and apply different methods to the sound rather than WM1Z/A, and other Walkmans, they are optional , you have to pick between percussion, vocal, strings....etc...according to that linked interview, this was a move to preserve battery

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #756 of 4,319
False. Please @Whitigir get informed.
New DSEE HX AI analyses song type

Audio upscaling is improved even further by our new DSEE HX processor which intelligently recognises instrumentation and musical genres. Realism and liveliness of different instruments, including the human voice, are inherently characterised by high frequency harmonics. By identifying instruments, and the relative energy of the audio, our enhanced DSEE HX can accurately rebuild audio lost during digital compression, for a full fidelity experience even with heavily-compressed audio formats.

Source: https://www.sony.com/en-ae/electronics/walkman/nw-a50-series/specifications

You tripped over the same stone twice. → Oct 12, 2018 flashback...
Future is now (aka New DSEE HX): https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/dseehx/

Until now only on NW-A50 Series.

DSEE HX is already a standard on WM series, and so for the S-Master HX. The way I see how Sony doing it, they are probably doing something similar to OverSampling but is based on the S-Master foundation which is non-oversampling platform. The DSEE-HX never have been appealing to me, even before I found out about oversampling, and even now, not sure what it is going to do ....lol

DSEE HX has nothing to do with oversampling. S-Master HX oversamples by default (Fs*2048), whether or not DSEE HX is enabled.

DSEE HX restored missing data based on existing frequencies. For that, used fundamental frequencies to restore harmonics (above 22kHz). Think about exciters. And I'm pretty sure it does more such as restore quantization errors, pre-ringing and some other lossy and 16-bit related issues.

New DSEE HX is built around DNN. That's a giant step forward. In the interview they explain it more in depth.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #757 of 4,319
Lol, can some owner of DMP-Z1 take us the screenshot of the DSEE function here ? I didn’t check out this feature when I was tinkering with DMP-Z1 at Canjam, because it was never an appealing factor to me, just only recently

I know for a fact WM-1Z only allows by type, and you have to manually pick “percussion, Vocal male or female, String” types

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #759 of 4,319
On my DMP-Z1 (firmware v. 1.01) you do not need, nor can you manually select 'type' as viewed in the photo I just took above:
Thank you, that confirmed what I said. The DSEE-HX are the same name for many devices, on A series and even Xperia smartphones are only the Standard one (still no option). The one on DMP-Z1 is Unique. It utilize more of the AI to analyze and apply different techniques in digital processing toward different types of instruments. Instead of choosing standard, percussion, female vocal, male vocals , string modes (like WM signature series) , you get them all automatically here on Z1, the WM Walkman had to have those as optional due to battery consumption

Can you please confirm the battery consumption with and without DSEE HX on Z1 ? It should consume a lot more when On

Also, I was wrong when I thought DSEE is Oversampling...it isn’t. There is no different Oversampling methods, only different rates. I now think , DSEE is more like using different set of algorithm, noise shaping, digital techniques, and filtering toward different analyzed and categorized frequencies/types by the AI....the Modulator is AKM VelVet Sound.

I wonder if this AI would be used in Sony Next S-Master

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #761 of 4,319
Thank you, that confirmed what I said. The DSEE-HX are the same name for many devices, on A series and even Xperia smartphones are only the Standard one (still no option). The one on DMP-Z1 is Unique. It utilize more of the AI to analyze and apply different techniques in digital processing toward different types of instruments. Instead of choosing standard, percussion, female vocal, male vocals , string modes (like WM signature series) , you get them all automatically here on Z1, the WM Walkman had to have those as optional due to battery consumption

Can you please confirm the battery consumption with and without DSEE HX on Z1 ? It should consume a lot more when On

Also, I was wrong when I thought DSEE is Oversampling...it isn’t. There is no different Oversampling methods, only different rates. I now think , DSEE is more like using different set of algorithm, noise shaping, digital techniques, and filtering toward different analyzed and categorized frequencies/types by the AI....the Modulator is AKM VelVet Sound.

I wonder if this AI would be used in Sony Next S-Master

This also seems to show that DSEE-HX is of some interests only for loosy compressed files. DSEE-HX should be of no interest for AIFF files ?

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #762 of 4,319
This also seems to show that DSEE-HX is of some interests only for loosy compressed files. DSEE-HX should be of no interest for AIFF files ?

DSEE-HX can be used on any file from lossy to lossless...as they are all compressed binary codes of multibit, except DSD as it is uncompressed/processed/direct stream code of 1 bit. I am sure AIFF would benefit too

Ofcourse, there is so much the DSEE HX AI can do when you are using Lossy such as MP3, you would benefit more if you are using Lossless.

Are you getting a DMP ?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #765 of 4,319
Please @Whitigir stop making unsubstantiated allegations. You're doing a disservice to anyone interested in digital audio.

Thank you, that confirmed what I said.
That only confirmed DMP-Z1 uses the same NW-A50 screen:

DSC03241.jpg

Source: ウォークマン NW-A50 レビュー |軽量で高音質なAシリーズの進化点を「NW-A55HN」を使って確認!

The one on DMP-Z1 is Unique.
False.

V7QcCN6.gif

Source: ディープ・ニューラル・ネットワークによってさらにハイレゾ音質に迫った新「DSEE HX」登場 | ソニー

Users who are viewing this thread

Back