Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #3,076 of 4,319
I've mentioned this before but the audio engineer Sato-san (there are two Sato-san on the Walkman team - the project leader and the audio engineer lead) carries his DMP-Z1 from his home in Chiba to the Sony office in central Tokyo on the train everyday when he was developing it and after the device is launched, he also has his own custom made Van Nuys carry case which he showed me at a small music festival where he was attending privately after work.

The included official carrying case is nice looking but is more form over function (the handle strap is honestly not very comfortable for carrying), but with a backpack definitely you can carry the DMP-Z1 everywhere, you just have to be a bit crazy to do it. However with how sometimes you see people carrying IED-like portable rigs around to drive open over ear headphones out in the public, I absolutely believe Sato-san is not alone and some non-Sony related person is doing it as we speak.

This is also why I love the Sony Walkman team (and the other people involved in portable audio team in general, which of course includes Just ear product owner Matsuo-san too) - they are all crazy but in the good geeky/engineer way which really drives their passion to create and develop new things not just for the company to make money, but create something which they believe people will love.
Love the Van Nuys case!

Attachments

• CECD5C22-AB97-4F95-8735-E0DCE9238BC8.jpeg
    CECD5C22-AB97-4F95-8735-E0DCE9238BC8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #3,077 of 4,319
You have any explanation why that is so?

The TA-ZH1ES uses better hardware, please explain why the DMP-Z1 is better using the worse hardware according to Sony.

Why is an Single analog Amp better then an Digital/Analog Hybrid AMP? Why did Sony switch from analog to hybrid if analog is better?

Why did Sony explain why they could not use the Hybrid amp if the analog is better anyway?

Don't you think the people who developed and build the device know best what is better? Why would you justify why you didn't use the worse technology?

If the DMP-Z1 is better then the TA-ZH1ES, nothing what Sony says makes sense anymore

Official quote from Sony

And please do not say, because it's more expensive.
I agree that technically DMP-Z1 is better but I do prefer the TA with Utopias - Z1 is too warm and punchy for Utopia imo.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #3,078 of 4,319
I agree that technically DMP-Z1 is better but I do prefer the TA with Utopias - Z1 is too warm and punchy for Utopia imo.
What headphones you do prefer with your Z1?

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #3,080 of 4,319
Mysphere 3.1 and Ultrasone Edition 15! Perfect experiences. What about you?
How would you describe bass on Mysphere 3.1 vs Utopia, please? Thanks!

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #3,081 of 4,319
How would you describe bass on Mysphere 3.1 vs Utopia, please? Thanks!
Bass on 3.1 is fast but very lean. Impact is barely there. If you prefer the Utopias slam and impact all the time you won’t like the 3.1. I enjoy the 3.1 on the Z1 because of overall soundstage, separation and detail especially in the mids. The bass is not the star on the 3.1 but it adequate supports the mids and highs.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #3,082 of 4,319
Mysphere 3.1 and Ultrasone Edition 15! Perfect experiences. What about you?
I've never heard the Z1, so I can't answer, but I hope I will join the group of Z1 owners someday :smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:
That Myspehre 3.1 looks fantastic in pictures, and I was just reading that it is a demanding headphone to drive and that when is not properly controlled, its midrange can get shouty.
Amazing that the Z1 provides enough juice for it, I presume it is a result of the strong dynamics of the player, which may explain the reason you like the Utopia more with the more laid back and relaxed TA? Well, all this are my assumptions as I haven't heard the TA but according to what I have read about it, it may have less dynamic punch than the Z1.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #3,083 of 4,319
I've never heard the Z1, so I can't answer, but I hope I will join the group of Z1 owners someday :smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:
That Myspehre 3.1 looks fantastic in pictures, and I was just reading that it is a demanding headphone to drive and that when is not properly controlled, its midrange can get shouty.
Amazing that the Z1 provides enough juice for it, I presume it is a result of the strong dynamics of the player, which may explain the reason you like the Utopia more with the more laid back and relaxed TA? Well, all this are my assumptions as I haven't heard the TA but according to what I have read about it, it may have less dynamic punch than the Z1.
I agree with what you have said for the most part. The bass on DMP-Z1 is BIG. While the TA has great dynamic slam in the bass, the bass is not as large.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #3,084 of 4,319
I've mentioned this before but the audio engineer Sato-san (there are two Sato-san on the Walkman team - the project leader and the audio engineer lead) carries his DMP-Z1 from his home in Chiba to the Sony office in central Tokyo on the train everyday when he was developing it and after the device is launched, he also has his own custom made Van Nuys carry case which he showed me at a small music festival where he was attending privately after work.

The included official carrying case is nice looking but is more form over function (the handle strap is honestly not very comfortable for carrying), but with a backpack definitely you can carry the DMP-Z1 everywhere, you just have to be a bit crazy to do it. However with how sometimes you see people carrying IED-like portable rigs around to drive open over ear headphones out in the public, I absolutely believe Sato-san is not alone and some non-Sony related person is doing it as we speak.

This is also why I love the Sony Walkman team (and the other people involved in portable audio team in general, which of course includes Just ear product owner Matsuo-san too) - they are all crazy but in the good geeky/engineer way which really drives their passion to create and develop new things not just for the company to make money, but create something which they believe people will love.
Hats off to the Sato-sans and all who commutes with the Z1. My wife thinks I’m nuts lugging the concrete slab between rooms! Though, I must admit, for the quality (build and sound) and price of the DMP-Z1 compared with the likes of dCS and Soulution, the integrated form factor (ie no stacks), somewhat reduced footprint and DC mode makes the Z1 practically a lot more (trans)portable. The Chord options are considerably more compact but to my ears, no question that the SQ is very good, the Chord house sound comes across a little artificial to me, like it’s been glossed over to make it prettier. I'm probably talking out of my ass but since I’m here, I’ll say that the ultimate DAP for me would be the DMP-Z1 that streams and plays DSD1024, or 512 at the least, in the form factor of the SP1000M. Yup.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #3,085 of 4,319
Hats off to the Sato-sans and all who commutes with the Z1. My wife thinks I’m nuts lugging the concrete slab between rooms! Though, I must admit, for the quality (build and sound) and price of the DMP-Z1 compared with the likes of dCS and Soulution, the integrated form factor (ie no stacks), somewhat reduced footprint and DC mode makes the Z1 practically a lot more (trans)portable. The Chord options are considerably more compact but to my ears, no question that the SQ is very good, the Chord house sound comes across a little artificial to me, like it’s been glossed over to make it prettier. I'm probably talking out of my ass but since I’m here, I’ll say that the ultimate DAP for me would be the DMP-Z1 that streams and plays DSD1024, or 512 at the least, in the form factor of the SP1000M. Yup.
You might want to check out the Fiio M17 thread 😉 if you are looking for a smaller form factor with all the streaming capabilities it could just be the best one.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #3,086 of 4,319
My monthly burn-in pic. I’ve been accelerating burn-in by leaving it play at nights (on weekends only) due to the upcoming meze Liric tour unit, kindly provided by @Andykong
image.jpg

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #3,087 of 4,319
Happy weekend peeps wanted to thank all of you especially this group on my headphone audio journey. Little over a year ago I impulsively bought the DMP-Z1 my first such a device after the portable walkman/md/cd player days. I hardly used it and I wondered if it was an expensive mistake, I even briefly put it up for sale on the Canadian Canuck Audio site and thankfully got a few low ball offers so decided to take the listing down.

I was a long time lurker but then signed up on this forum and started interacting and posting and it has been a great revelation and journey. Since then I bought a few more DAPs and headphones and this has transformed slowly into a very different hobby from my home audio setups. Now I am finally realizing what all the fuss and obsession this hobby brings to an intimate way of listening to music...and making one broke in the process 😅 My poor wife just shakes her head and goes along with it!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #3,088 of 4,319
Happy weekend peeps wanted to thank all of you especially this group on my headphone audio journey. Little over a year ago I impulsively bought the DMP-Z1 my first such a device after the portable walkman/md/cd player days. I hardly used it and I wondered if it was an expensive mistake, I even briefly put it up for sale on the Canadian Canuck Audio site and thankfully got a few low ball offers so decided to take the listing down.

I was a long time lurker but then signed up on this forum and started interacting and posting and it has been a great revelation and journey. Since then I bought a few more DAPs and headphones and this has transformed slowly into a very different hobby from my home audio setups. Now I am finally realizing what all the fuss and obsession this hobby brings to an intimate way of listening to music...and making one broke in the process 😅 My poor wife just shakes her head and goes along with it!
I also thank these forums and my ex- for making me realize MP3/AAC sounds bad and go straightforward with flac and Hi-res / DSD files.

I also purchased my DMP-Z1 impulsively, after listening to it in Berlin and due to rumors (and induced panic or fear) of it being discontinued, mainly due to the extinction of AKM DACs after the fire.

My husband recently discovered i lied to him very professionally.

I placed order on amazon before my Birthday and made a Gift order as if my Father had giv n it to me… until a few weeks a go my hubby spied on my Bank account and asked about such transaction… hes still a bit angry.

And right now unable to save up, inflation in Germany (high food pricing) i cant collect the money i used to have before DMP purchase.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #3,089 of 4,319
I also thank these forums and my ex- for making me realize MP3/AAC sounds bad and go straightforward with flac and Hi-res / DSD files.

I also purchased my DMP-Z1 impulsively, after listening to it in Berlin and due to rumors (and induced panic or fear) of it being discontinued, mainly due to the extinction of AKM DACs after the fire.

My husband recently discovered i lied to him very professionally.

I placed order on amazon before my Birthday and made a Gift order as if my Father had giv n it to me… until a few weeks a go my hubby spied on my Bank account and asked about such transaction… hes still a bit angry.

And right now unable to save up, inflation in Germany (high food pricing) i cant collect the money i used to have before DMP purchase.
Thankfully my wife and me had the our jobs through these crazy last 2 years also we were lucky enough to invest in housing market many years back. Inflation is through the roof here too groceries especially its gone up 40% or more on a lot of stuff.

Nice birthday gift to yourself never regret, things will fall in place. I tell my wife what else to do with all these restrictions eat well, listen to music and enjoy audio lol. Thankfully she is not into hifi so she doesn't steal my stuff 😂

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #3,090 of 4,319
Most of my life i had Sony audio products from headphones like the NC6 and earbuds of the fontopia line .

I began in 2004 with a humble 1GB network walkman NW-E507 which had a cool monochrome OLED display.
In 2007 upgraded to an A818 8GB video/MP3 walkman.
2009 got sonys 30th anniversary walkman the X1060 - first to use S-master chip 32GB
Then 2011 came the break with sony DAPs with my iPod classic 160GB (peer pressure and bullying for not owning an iDevice), my transition to lossless began, after nearly 8y with mp3 192 and beliw haha
2013 got my first audiophile entry-level DAP, the fiio x3 OG.
After a brick incident with the fiio, went back to sony in 2014 with the NWZ-A17 64GB walkman, in that time i got my first non-sony HP, the Ultrasone HFI-780 and my first hybrid IEM XBA-H3. I sold it to get the NW-Zx100, XBA-A3
In 2016 i got my MDR-Z7 / XBA-Z5 and NW-WM1A. Here i began with Hi-res flac and DSD.
Mid 2018 i got MDR-Z1R, sold Z7 . End 18 moved to Germany and married.
2019 started ripping SACDs and got IER-Z1R and IER-M7. And finally 2021 the DMP-Z1 and repurchased the NW-A25 walkman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back