Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jan 8, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #3,091 of 4,312
Hey @cat3600 regarding fiio M17 v DMP. HOw are the two devices in thickness. Length and width?

Also have you noted that when switching to Battery on DMP Volume decreases ? And in AC Mode is louder? For example i am notmally 9 o’clock in AC and toght now i am somewhere 10:15-10:30 on battery mode.

As if the DMP had an automatic higher gain…

Same happens with fiio M17 i when plugging unplugging the AC?

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #3,092 of 4,312
Hey @cat3600 regarding fiio M17 v DMP. HOw are the two devices in thickness. Length and width?

Also have you noted that when switching to Battery on DMP Volume decreases ? And in AC Mode is louder? For example i am notmally 9 o’clock in AC and toght now i am somewhere 10:15-10:30 on battery mode.

As if the DMP had an automatic higher gain…

Same happens with fiio M17 i when plugging unplugging the AC?
The M17 is much much smaller and lighter than the DMP no comparison. No increase in volume on the M17 Batt or AC power, however in AC mode there is an enhanced over the head headphone output available that changes the output volume slightly if selected. The M17 is almost the same size as Cayin C9 Amp.

The DMP I don't remember and changes in volume but these days I hardly listen to it on Batt it's always plugged into AC

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #3,093 of 4,312
The M17 is much much smaller and lighter than the DMP no comparison. No increase in volume on the M17 Batt or AC power, however in AC mode there is an enhanced over the head headphone output available that changes the output volume slightly if selected. The M17 is almost the same size as Cayin C9 Amp.

The DMP I don't remember and changes in volume but these days I hardly listen to it on Batt it's always plugged into AC
I use my DMP on Battery once every month. So speaking one time every 30/31 days, i discharge it to 10%

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #3,094 of 4,312
You might want to check out the Fiio M17 thread 😉 if you are looking for a smaller form factor with all the streaming capabilities it could just be the best one.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been following the M17 threads; appears to be quite a formidable beast of a DAP! I plan on giving it a good audition at the next most opportune moment, but no rush since I have the 300Max, and I might add that I’m quite happy with it, I'm thinking if I really want another brick in my collection…

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #3,095 of 4,312
I also thank these forums and my ex- for making me realize MP3/AAC sounds bad and go straightforward with flac and Hi-res / DSD files.

I also purchased my DMP-Z1 impulsively, after listening to it in Berlin and due to rumors (and induced panic or fear) of it being discontinued, mainly due to the extinction of AKM DACs after the fire.

My husband recently discovered i lied to him very professionally.

I placed order on amazon before my Birthday and made a Gift order as if my Father had giv n it to me… until a few weeks a go my hubby spied on my Bank account and asked about such transaction… hes still a bit angry.

And right now unable to save up, inflation in Germany (high food pricing) i cant collect the money i used to have before DMP purchase.
So many things wrong in here, not going to comment since it's your life and all. If it’s any consolation, as important as money is, time and the experience you get out of it is worth much more. Hang in there, you’ll recover the money soon enough if you invest the needed effort. When it gets tough, you now have the source of good music to pull you through.

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #3,096 of 4,312
I plqyed yesterday in battery mode, i got 10 hours play time.
Conditions:
1. Only 16/44.1 FLAC, with a 3 minute exception used DSD-RE and last 30 minutes on random, two 24/96 FLACs popped up.
2. Direct all the way (DSD-RE off)
3. BT & NFC off
4. Minimal screen use

Unit was turned on while plugged in and hitting play on first track, then AC disinganged.
Battery ran from 100% to 10% before i enabled AC again. From 10% my battery drops 2% every 5 minutes, so if i had played until shutdown i would perhaps get 10 hours 25 to 30 minutes with above conditions

For me is pretty good battery life it’s a full transcontinental flight from mexico city to frankfurt or cancun to munich. Or a round-trip in the German bullet-train from Frankfurt central to Berlin central and back

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #3,097 of 4,312
I plqyed yesterday in battery mode, i got 10 hours play time.
Conditions:
1. Only 16/44.1 FLAC, with a 3 minute exception used DSD-RE and last 30 minutes on random, two 24/96 FLACs popped up.
2. Direct all the way (DSD-RE off)
3. BT & NFC off
4. Minimal screen use

Unit was turned on while plugged in and hitting play on first track, then AC disinganged.
Battery ran from 100% to 10% before i enabled AC again. From 10% my battery drops 2% every 5 minutes, so if i had played until shutdown i would perhaps get 10 hours 25 to 30 minutes with above conditions

For me is pretty good battery life it’s a full transcontinental flight from mexico city to frankfurt or cancun to munich. Or a round-trip in the German bullet-train from Frankfurt central to Berlin central and back
Round #1 from 13:35 to 19:05 (5 hours 30 minutes)
Round #2 20:34 to 01:04 the next day (4 hours 30 minutes)

I turned the unit off while my dinner break, then briefly plugged AC while init booted up

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #3,098 of 4,312
I bought another new dmp for my home listening. The other for office.

Attachments

• 923194A2-1B45-41B0-A93A-5E220AC990B1.jpeg
    923194A2-1B45-41B0-A93A-5E220AC990B1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #3,099 of 4,312

Lol, nice man. I hope I'll manage to get one too someday, but it'll probably not happen 😄

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #3,100 of 4,312
Round #1 from 13:35 to 19:05 (5 hours 30 minutes)
Round #2 20:34 to 01:04 the next day (4 hours 30 minutes)

I turned the unit off while my dinner break, then briefly plugged AC while init booted up
Forgot to mention that i used MDR-Z1R at areound 10:00-10:20 volume

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #3,101 of 4,312
I had a dream that i had two SMP, one for home and one for trqvel. In the dream i was on a plane ctash and su vived but my dmp for travel sink at sea.

My real DMP stays at home, for travel i use a cheaper option like BW-A55

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #3,103 of 4,312
I know that @nanaholic has too some degree contact with walkman team.

So during my latest battery run i had some quewtions, one of them had @Gamerlingual somehow addressed but I he manual is a little vague in the information provided.

1. When battery charge is 100% and plugged to AC, the charging is wtopped and battery shutdown? I ask as i note when tuening on and du ing boot where the sony logo and wavy lines appear the indicator light chqng w to orange briefly and then back to green.

2. While pn AC piwer dors the DMP increase rails voltage? I note that when on Batt the volume drops (not so significant but it does drop) and in AC volume is louder

3. Manual states up to 2TB micro SD card. Is that meant 2x 1.0TB, or for real 2x 2.0TB (whopping 4TB of space plus 230.60GB)?

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #3,104 of 4,312
There’s a Bug on sony Media Go. I formatted a micro SD card on my DMP to tranfer my audiophile headphone test tracks playlist. To speed things up decided to take the card on an SD adapter.

All hi-res audio is converted to 128kbps MP3 on the card. Formatted the card again and let ot onside DMP, this time all Hi-res audio was transferred as is.

Then i did another card on my NW-A25, which does not support DSD, these files were all converted on the 400GB card inside A25 to 24-bit / 176.4 kHz foac wirh no filter for ultrasonic noise

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #3,105 of 4,312
@Whitigir how are the 5 batteries of the DMP being charged/discharged? I know on the Ibasso DX300/220MAX/300MAX they ar charg d independently and therefore also charged ind pendetly. The bad of the ibasso approach if you run put of digital battery first. The analog is left partially charged, qnd if you run out of analog battery you still have device On but no sound LOL.

Do the sony SMP share charge if one side gets low faster than the other , f.e. If digiyal or analog charges either of if theyre going low.

I ask this as DMP has a single battery indicator for all 5, while ibasso has a gauge for Analog and a gauge for Digital. Also i noted at around 11% charge the gauge drops by 2% for every 5 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back