Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Nov 22, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #2,851 of 4,317
CEW2 region sounds so clean with the bass as J, with the added bonus of more details (not so polite as J)

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2,852 of 4,317
Really? I think i have to rent the DMP-Z1 one more time. I never tested changing the Region Code :xf_eek:

because it doesn't have the limiter, i haven't thought about it. I only used it with CEW2 but i use all my other Sony Gear with J

I changed the Region Code on my WM1Z (it was an EU Model) and the region code of the WM1A (it was a Japanese Model. changed it to CEW2 so i could change it to german and than back to J to remove the limiter) but it never changed the sound on those two.

I would never have expected that it would have any influence on the DMP-Z1, but now im curious to find out

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,853 of 4,317
You certainly have a point, but let's not forget that while these $5K+ are very much a hard fact, the 5% aren't. They are just a) one man's opinion and b) a rough guesstimate at most that should not be taken literally. Basically, since we have no way of actually measuring these things (as they're not only subjective but also not quantifiable), they're basically just a way of saying, in my mind, it's pretty close, and nothing else. Personally, I try not to throw around numbers like that because they're too often taken as gospel, thus spawning a new narrative ("They say the DMP-Z1 is just 5 % better than the WM-1Z"), which is not really helpful, but perhaps they can help others to get a basic feel for at least a perceived difference of things.

That being said, I still don't really know what to make of my own DMP-Z1. At times, it totally wows me, and then again, it will leave me more or less cold. I haven't yet worked out all of the contributing variables. It certainly seems to have something to do with quality of the music files, but it does not seem limited to that. Will have to do more listening and determining; so far I have just a measly 24 hours on my unit, as work is plentiful and listening time more or less restricted to nights.

I do, however, have a problem. When the DMP-Z1 is plugged in, I hear a humming noise via the IER-Z1 that I don't perceive with the MDR-Z1. At first I thought it was just due to the IER-Z1R being more sensitive, but the strange thing is that the humming disappears as soon as I touch either the power cable, the IEM's cable or the unit itself. Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be some sort of grounds related problem? If so, shouldn't it be perceivable on the MDR-Z1R as well? It only seems to be an issue when the power cable is plugged in. (Sorry, I'm a total tech dyslexic, if that was not apparent.) Strangely, I'm almost sure that I didn't hear it in the first couple of hours, despite the unit loading while I listened. I remember being excited about the deeply black background, and now this is ruining the experience a bit. It's not really audible while music is playing, but quite apparent during very quiet passages or between songs, and to be honest, it annoys me quite a bit. Anyone have an idea what could be happening? TIA!
Did you fix your problem? Just curious. Mine is working fine. Bisher alles gut mit dem DMP

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #2,854 of 4,317
As more DSD music are now available in higher resolution, 512 or even 1024fs, I’ve recently bought some 512fs tracks, which don’t play on the DMP-Z1, yet my other 'lower' DAPs can handle. Probably a dumb question but is decoding higher DSD files a software or hardware thing? If the former, could it be enabled through firmware upgrade?

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #2,855 of 4,317
As more DSD music are now available in higher resolution, 512 or even 1024fs, I’ve recently bought some 512fs tracks, which don’t play on the DMP-Z1, yet my other 'lower' DAPs can handle. Probably a dumb question but is decoding higher DSD files a software or hardware thing? If the former, could it be enabled through firmware upgrade?
Id it both, SW and HW thing. The AKM33””4497 supports max 245

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,856 of 4,317
Really? I think i have to rent the DMP-Z1 one more time. I never tested changing the Region Code :xf_eek:

because it doesn't have the limiter, i haven't thought about it. I only used it with CEW2 but i use all my other Sony Gear with J

I changed the Region Code on my WM1Z (it was an EU Model) and the region code of the WM1A (it was a Japanese Model. changed it to CEW2 so i could change it to german and than back to J to remove the limiter) but it never changed the sound on those two.

I would never have expected that it would have any influence on the DMP-Z1, but now im curious to find out
Where do you rent gear?

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #2,858 of 4,317
Nov 24, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #2,859 of 4,317
Would you be so kind and provide the link to that store? Thanks!
Uhm? To the Sony store? Sure

https://www.sony.de/sonystoreberlin

But it wouldn't had been that hard to find that yourself^^ not that I mind posting that link, just wondering. It's not like a hidden secret place of something, it's the official Sony Store from Sony.

But you have to pay at least a deposit via Credit Card and be registered as an customer there. I think there are no other fees, just that you know.

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #2,860 of 4,317
Uhm? To the Sony store? Sure

https://www.sony.de/sonystoreberlin

But it wouldn't had been that hard to find that yourself^^ not that I mind posting that link, just wondering. It's not like a hidden secret place of something, it's the official Sony Store from Sony.

But you have to pay at least a deposit via Credit Card and be registered as an customer there. I think there are no other fees, just that you know.
Thanks for the info! Back in 2016 Sony phased out all of their remaining 10 retail stores in the US. Quite unfortunate! Not only are you lucky to have Sony retail store(s) in Germany but also you are able to rent equipment from them, which is the services I do not recall to have been ever offered in the States.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #2,861 of 4,317
Thanks for the info! Back in 2016 Sony phased out all of their remaining 10 retail stores in the US. Quite unfortunate! Not only are you lucky to have Sony retail store(s) in Germany but also you are able to rent equipment from them, which is the services I do not recall to have been ever offered in the States.
Wow! That is sad to hear, and i thought germany was doing bad in terms of Sony. We only have one single store and its shrinking in size every year. I don't know how long it will stay here.

They just recently opened a brand new shiny store in Japan... so Japan does have 5 now.

But this pretty much shows Sonys future intention to be honest. Sony seems to sell more gear in Japan than in ROW

Even though we haven an Sony Store in Germany, you can only buy the DMP-Z1 right now (lol)

There is no
- XBA-N1 (Also not available at other stores)
- XBA-N3 (Also not available at other stores)
- XBA-Z5 (afair never existed in germany)
- IER-M7 (never existed in germany)
- IER-M9 (never existed in germany)
- IER-Z1R (Also not available at other stores)
- MDR-Z1R
- NW-WM1A (since more than a year)
- NW-WM1Z
- TA-ZH1ES

So you can only buy Headphones from the 1000X series and below and the MDR-1AM2 and the MDR-Z7M2

I bought my MDR-Z1R there, but it was one single unit only and it took over an year to get it because, officially, the Sony Store no longer gets these Items.

IER-Z1R is sold out everywhere in germany, since like a year and MDR-Z1R can be bought at a few selection locations like hifiklubben, but thats it.

So if you like Sony and you're living in germany, you're pretty much forced into importing because new walkmans like the ZX507 have the volume cap you can't remove.

I think the only reason we have an Sony Store here in germany is the Sony Center building complex with its Mt. Fuji like roof. Maybe they don't want to run the Sony Center without having at least a small Sony Store inside

https://www.google.com/search?q=Son...hUKEwj4koDqgLP0AhXH_rsIHTZ8CfcQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw

Its an famous building here in germany (and especially Berlin).

I think renting is not an advertised service, they do it for customers they know and want to keep. I think if an stranger who never bought something would ask to rent the DMP-Z1, they would not allow it.

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #2,862 of 4,317
4 months in, 862 hours now. ( 307 hours in the last month - breaking personal records for the month. )

It’s addictive, audio heaven !

Attachments

• AC8A644F-7E71-443F-AB93-026D7AC3886D.jpeg
    AC8A644F-7E71-443F-AB93-026D7AC3886D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,863 of 4,317
307 hours in the last month
10 hours a day... this is like serious business / like having a full-time job :-D

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #2,865 of 4,317
:dt880smile:- i believe that - can i join your company? 🙃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back