Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jul 21, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #2,371 of 4,318
I was told or at least implied that the DMP is being discontinued so stock is running low, at least only one unit coming into the US for the month of July.

Apparently, ( posted on this forum ) there’s a new Walkman, that looks like a replacement for the 1Z ? Perhaps there will be a replacement for the DMP-Z1 ??

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2,374 of 4,318
Well, I’ve come so close to adding the DMP-Z1 to the basket, during the last 24hrs.

Last night & during today, I was really enjoying my trio of TA-ZH1ES, HAP-S1 & Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones. I think the 1AM2’s are an underrated headphone, especially for price.

I’m sure I’m going to cave in on the DMP-Z1 sooner, than latter…..it just seems such an expense & the mental justification, although I know all owners say you won’t regret it. ( It’s certainly something I would use, daily & wouldn’t be gathering dust. )

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,375 of 4,318
Well, I’ve come so close to adding the DMP-Z1 to the basket, during the last 24hrs.

Last night & during today, I was really enjoying my trio of TA-ZH1ES, HAP-S1 & Sony MDR-1AM2 headphones. I think the 1AM2’s are an underrated headphone, especially for price.

I’m sure I’m going to cave in on the DMP-Z1 sooner, than latter…..it just seems such an expense & the mental justification, although I know all owners say you won’t regret it. ( It’s certainly something I would use, daily & wouldn’t be gathering dust. )

I did initially regret it, but then I was able to justify it to myself. The portability and quality are a distinct feature in my collection of 5+ DAPs. That said, it's a lot of money.

If you haven't already, I would first audition headphones. In my experience, they may have a bigger impact since you already have the excellent TA-ZH1ES.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,376 of 4,318
I did initially regret it, but then I was able to justify it to myself. The portability and quality are a distinct feature in my collection of 5+ DAPs. That said, it's a lot of money.

If you haven't already, I would first audition headphones. In my experience, they may have a bigger impact since you already have the excellent TA-ZH1ES.

Oh, I have other headphones, including Sony MDR-Z1R’s, hence mentioning the surprise of how underrated I think the 1AM2’s are. I’ve spent a lot of money on audio equipment, perhaps not much as some people do, but I never ever thought I’d buy the TA or Sony flagship headphones, or the HAP-S1, which was really my first Hi Res product & I’ve certainly had value from those, including my DAP’s. The DMP-Z1 would be the ultimate purchase for me, personally, certainly financially, but it would be a purchase for the rest of my days…..

If anyone can tell me how Toto, Michael Jackson & John Mayer sound, just to name a few…..I may be nearer “sold”…..

Jul 24, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #2,377 of 4,318
How does DMP Perform with a library size of 61, 383 files (a mix of FLAC, Hi-res flac & DSD) in two 1TB cards (lib size 1.42TB)

Jul 24, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2,378 of 4,318
Oh, I have other headphones, including Sony MDR-Z1R’s, hence mentioning the surprise of how underrated I think the 1AM2’s are. I’ve spent a lot of money on audio equipment, perhaps not much as some people do, but I never ever thought I’d buy the TA or Sony flagship headphones, or the HAP-S1, which was really my first Hi Res product & I’ve certainly had value from those, including my DAP’s. The DMP-Z1 would be the ultimate purchase for me, personally, certainly financially, but it would be a purchase for the rest of my days…..

If anyone can tell me how Toto, Michael Jackson & John Mayer sound, just to name a few…..I may be nearer “sold”…..
I may be too late to get one guess. (still not sure if the state will grant me full Blind Aid 650 euro/mo or the short version at barely 200 euro/mo. i could try getting full blinf aid with a inconclusive Campimetry - field of vision test)

WHAT i tested in BERLIN has my mind going crazy since then, the unit was well burn in hat about 2000h. I tried with my IER-M7 (Quad BA Sony IEM) and a store demo IER-Z1R which only had the SE Cable. on both ends esp the Balanced wowed me (My IEM had a 4.4mm cable).

I kow, i don't listen to modern music, only classical But i was mind blown JAW DROPPED TO CENTER OF THE PLANET just WOOOOOWWWWW.

For a BA IEM the bass was mind screwn blowing hard slamming with a deep punch. Man wow that darker than black pitch black backgtound wow wow wow. Timbre spot on so screw*n real. The sound stage...... OMG better than my WM1A with MR. Walkman FEV2+ CFW unreal huge. Did not think that my M7 would perform so damn good. Some Vivaldi albums (from NAIVE Vivaldi edition) that i tought they were recorded intimte (Concerti e Cantate da Camera volumes I to III) had a minf blowing stage. Haydn symphomies (the last 9 CD from antal dorati set on Decca) WOW as real as live and upon engaging the DSD RE OMG wow i love this featurette from DMP

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #2,379 of 4,318
That's exactly what I ended up doing. The DMP has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it: DSD64 to DSD256 and up to FLAC384. The one exception is multi-channel audio, which the DMP cannot down-sample to 2 channels, unfortunately. Another caveat, the file system is limited to 4GB files. One of my tracks in a DSD256 class album exceeded that size and I was not able to copy it over.

Worthwhile noting, the folder structure doesn't seem to be important. So I was able to preserve what I have in my Roon collection, which allows me to easily run a sync files operation to copy over anything new I add to my collection.

Finally, for anyone reading this, Mr. Walkman's custom firmware (1.02) fixes the issue with DSD albums not properly displaying their art.
I didn’t aware that there is a custom firmware for DMP-Z1. Would you please share with me the link?

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2,381 of 4,318
How does DMP Perform with a library size of 61, 383 files (a mix of FLAC, Hi-res flac & DSD) in two 1TB cards (lib size 1.42TB)
I use approx. 768GB (256 internal, one 512 SD card) and it works fine. However, every time you switch back to standalone mode it scans the library to see if there are any changes. It only takes a few seconds, but I'd expect that delay to be longer with more capacity. Also, there is handful of DSD64 albums that don't show their cover correctly. No idea why. Finally, don't use the Sony software to sync your files! I found two awesome freewares (that I rewarded with some $$$) softwares on PC to tag files that had missing metadata and then synchronize only changes them between my music repository and the DMP drives.

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,382 of 4,318
I use approx. 768GB (256 internal, one 512 SD card) and it works fine. However, every time you switch back to standalone mode it scans the library to see if there are any changes. It only takes a few seconds, but I'd expect that delay to be longer with more capacity. Also, there is handful of DSD64 albums that don't show their cover correctly. No idea why. Finally, don't use the Sony software to sync your files! I found two awesome freewares (that I rewarded with some $$$) softwares on PC to tag files that had missing metadata and then synchronize only changes them between my music repository and the DMP drives.
What music software are the ones you use?

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #2,383 of 4,318
What music software are the ones you use?
FreeFileSync for synchronizing. It allows you to exclude PDFs and folders you may not want to copy over. For example, DMP-Z1 does not like 5.1 surround files (DSD or FLAC).
Mp3tag for updating the cover art of DSD files. I use AudioRanger for everything else. It has a much better UI, but doesn't support DSD.

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #2,384 of 4,318
I use sony MediaGo to manage my library
MP3tag to tag my files
Windows explorer to sync
Db poweramp to convert to different formats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back