Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Aug 14, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #2,626 of 3,690
I only own The Boatman's call, so I haven't spent a ton of time listening to his other albums. I just listened to the 2011 remix on Tidal and found some older mixes on You Tube. The louder sound at 14 seconds wasn't in the earlier mix I found, but the softer crackling sounds before that were. I doubt I would have picked up on it if I wasn't intentionally listening for it just now though.

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #2,627 of 3,690
I was listening pretty intently to some tubes when I noticed it and it made me wonder so I began using other equipment lol. I was also using a headphone amp that I built and tweaked to my hearing so it was pretty obvious there. I had moved my Vali to the shop at the time and generally I might have listened with it.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,628 of 3,690
That noise sounds intentional me. There is an earlier crackling noise that pans from right to left and is audible in earlier recordings. Just from listening I think the noises are are supposed to be ruffling through a pack of cigarettes and the sound at 14 seconds is lighting the cigarette. It would fit in with the song and I thought he was a pretty heavy smoker at one point.

The only version of an earlier mix I've heard had a slightly shorter introduction, but still has the other crackling sounds.

If that's what the sound is he's obviously not using a Zippo. Pretty low class for a smoker. :smile:

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #2,629 of 3,690
I was listening pretty intently to some tubes when I noticed it and it made me wonder so I began using other equipment lol. I was also using a headphone amp that I built and tweaked to my hearing so it was pretty obvious there. I had moved my Vali to the shop at the time and generally I might have listened with it.

You probably had a GE tube in there by mistake thinking it was a real Ken-Rad. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #2,630 of 3,690
You probably had a GE tube in there by mistake thinking it was a real Ken-Rad. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have all of my GE tubes locked away. I have a codicil in my will stating that they are to be sent to you upon my demise.

Seriously though I have a new person to run some tubes by in a couple days. She is a musician and I want to see what she thinks of the Melz and a few other tubes I have laying around. I am always interested in the opinions of others, even @bcowen on occasion. :smile_phones:

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,631 of 3,690
I have all of my GE tubes locked away. I have a codicil in my will stating that they are to be sent to you upon my demise.

:anguished: Thanks? Would that be classified as gifting? Or dumping? :slight_smile:

Seriously though I have a new person to run some tubes by in a couple days. She is a musician and I want to see what she thinks of the Melz and a few other tubes I have laying around.

Hope you have the 100 hour versus unplayed Foton on her itinerary?

I am always interested in the opinions of others, even @bcowen on occasion. :smile_phones:

I'm good for being a last resort. Better than being a no resort. LOL!

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #2,632 of 3,690
Hope you have the 100 hour versus unplayed Foton on her itinerary?

I shall do that as well, I gave her a set of speakers so I am sure she will help out where she can.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #2,633 of 3,690
I shall do that as well, I gave her a set of speakers so I am sure she will help out where she can.

You can give her the GE tubes as well and reduce some clutter in your will. :grin:

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #2,634 of 3,690
You can give her the GE tubes as well and reduce some clutter in your will. :grin:

What??? Give away your legacy!!! What kind of friend would do that?
Maybe I can send the Fotons on to Schiit when I send the other 6sn7's, not conceal them, just mark them so we know which is which and find out what folks think.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #2,635 of 3,690
What??? Give away your legacy!!! What kind of friend would do that?

Friends don't let friends drive drunk....or send them GE's. :relaxed:

Maybe I can send the Fotons on to Schiit when I send the other 6sn7's, not conceal them, just mark them so we know which is which and find out what folks think.

I think you should mark them so you know which is which, but keep the identity to yourself until they listen to them and see what comments come back.

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #2,636 of 3,690
I think you should mark them so you know which is which, but keep the identity to yourself until they listen to them and see what comments come back.

Already marked, since I had one in a Vali for what seemed like FOREVER, I did not want to lose track of which was which. Jason said he would send them back soon after the shootout and it would be easy enough to include those. I am going to give him a listing of which tube is which in an envelope with everything I send.

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,637 of 3,690
Latest tweak:
  1. Recut felt pads for both my Vali 2 and Magni 3, using a sharp pair of fabric scissors. It won't win any beauty-contests, but it now provides a low-friction surface for the potentiometer's knobs.
  2. Re-seated my kludged knobs purchased from a (scientific instruments & electronics) recycler.
  3. Knobs. Zeroing them onto a post. Why are they so lopsided?! And why do these knobs have 2 anchoring screws - a torx on one side and a odd-flat-head screw on the other.
    1. Open up both screws.
    2. Slide the knob onto slide the knob onto the half-moon portrusion from the volume knob (potentiometer).
    3. Using only the torx screw, seat the knob onto the portrusion. It should just slide on without any lateral shimmy, nor wobble.
    4. Use the flat-head screw to fix the dial onto the potentiometer.
    5. Now, the volume dial turns without a wobble nor shimmy. This'll never be as good as the pot on my Valhalla 2; however, it'll cool my jets about picking up an Asgard 2
  4. ScubaMan's realization: some engineer somewhere designed this knob to be precisely affixed... and even calibrated. This lowly dial or knob is a critical human-machine interface and a designer put thought into it.
  5. I now have knob satisfaction with my potentiometers! Woot woot!
IMG_6086.jpg

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #2,639 of 3,690
Now that I have equalized the Schiit out of my system (two equalizers daisy chained so I can finally hear some high frequencies), I've fallen back in love with my Vali 2 and Magni 3. Time to tube roll again.
I've fallen back in love with my Vali & Magni. Don't get me wrong -- my Valhalla with the (unnecessary) socket savers show off the glorious orange emission. The tinier headamps hold their own.

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #2,640 of 3,690
I have an agreement with a guy to buy his Vali 2. I will be the 3rd owner. He is tossing in a Telefunken tube. One quarter of the cost of a brand new Lyr 3.

Looking forward to checking out the Schiit hybrid tube. Tried a Loxjie P20 and was disappointed.

Hopefully I can close this tomorrow and have it for next weekend.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back