Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 8, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,271 of 3,690
My Magni2 Uber gave a good pop into my old 120 ohms headphones. I mailed Schiit about it and they said it was normal. I didn’t doubt that and I never noticed any ill effect on the headphones because of it either.

Dec 8, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #2,273 of 3,690
What headphones are you using? Are you sure you aren’t hearing the relay when it’s not on your ears? If it’s loud enough to hear loudly when they aren’t on your head and you aren’t using very efficient headphones that would not be normal.

Every tube amp I’ve had has some amount of pop even with a relay, but nothing I would hear if the headphones were a few feet away on my desk.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #2,278 of 3,690
The cans are monoprice M1060s, and yeah, I can hear the pop from the phones when they're on my desk.

Those are relatively low impedence (50 ohm) and high efficiency (96 db / mw). They also look really open, so what you are describing is possible. The good news is they can handle a lot of power (spikes up to 10w and extended up to 4w), it’s unlikely it would damage anything. There are also no paper cones to rip. If you hear the mechanical click, it may not be a defect.

Honestly, the Vali may not be the best amp for those headphones (that the pop is loud might be a symptom of that). It’s a hybrid amp, but I find mine too noisy with most tubes and more efficient headphones. If it’s only the pop that bothers you and you like the sound otherwise, then I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2,279 of 3,690
I'm not real keen on unplugging and replugging the headphones every day, but I suppose I'll have to get into the habit.
If unplugging a headphone jack is going to stress you out, might I suggest listening to speakers. At least you would not have to lift those heavy objects and put them over your ears :smile_phones:

Now, seriously, I have the Vali 2 here beside of me, and I have heard a click and a pop as the amplifier engages, but the Heavenly sound in my Sennheisers is so luxurious with the Telefunken E88CC-TK tube, a little click or a pop, even a sizzle when my static electric charges disapate by touching the volume control are so very minor, by comparison to the Music I get to hear, I am wondering if my Vali 2 is special?

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #2,280 of 3,690
Now, seriously, I have the Vali 2 here beside of me, and I have heard a click and a pop as the amplifier engages, but the Heavenly sound in my Sennheisers is so luxurious with the Telefunken E88CC-TK tube, a little click or a pop, even a sizzle when my static electric charges disapate by touching the volume control are so very minor, by comparison to the Music I get to hear, I am wondering if my Vali 2 is special?

The Senns are a much better match for the Vali. They are high impedance (relatively efficient though), so the noise floor isn’t as big a deal. The pop is also likely less loud.

Ultimately it comes down to what sounds good to you and any quality of life features an amp provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back