Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,816 of 3,690
Do you notice any difference between the stock canadian tube and Elec Harmonix 6922
Just wondering if its worth getting the 6922EH. If not, then i'd like to jump up to something that makes a difference

The main thing I noticed is the hum with the 6922EH.  So bad I returned it.  The replacement is almost as bad.  I wonder if it is even worth returning it yet again.  For the record I have the Canada 6BZ7, a couple of RCA 6BZ7, Tung-Sol 6BK7B, and Raytheon 6SN7GTB and all are dead silent.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,818 of 3,690

lcd2 is one of my favorite cans..

please do..

Sorry for late reply. Due to Lunar New year, all my new amps are stuck at airport

My Dac are the Modi2u and the Mumby. The Vali2 used with the 6922 EH tube.

I think I like the Asgard 2 most and the Vali2 least.

The Magni2u have an impact bass and lively/cool treble and sounds very alike to my old Mjolnir. I have used the Magni2u for a long time so that I am very familiar with its sound. And the first time I heard the Asgard, all my music just suddenly sounded very "Slow" and boring and soft. But as time goes by, I think the Asgard2 has one thing that the Mjolnir, the Magni2U, the Magini2, the Vali2 should desire. This is the natural sounding.

I hated and sold my Mjolnir because it sounds too digital, esp in the treble range. The Magni2/2u and the Vali2 are much better on this problem but still cannot come close the Asgard.

Asgard2 has a very warm and soft and liquid sound. For example, Mariah Carey sing a word "you". The Magni2u and the Vali2 will be "youuuuuuuuuuuuuu". And "you ú ù u u" on the Asgard. And when she sings the high notes, the sssssjjjjjjjjj sounding is almost non-existent on the Asgard as well. I love it. It make the voice richer and natural. I can focus more on the music. If you come back to the Magni2u and the Vali2 you will hear a plainer, stiffer and stretched voice.

The Magni2u and the Vali2 sound very alike. But the Vali2 adds some strange noise on the singer voice. It makes the voice more raucous, warmer and easy to listen. On the expense, I think the Vali2 is not as clear and transparent and "hi-end" as the Magni2u and the Asgard2.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,819 of 3,690
Hello,
After turning on the Vali2 for few seconds, there is a loud pop sound in my headphone (not from the amp). Is there anyone out here have this problem with the Vali2 like me? I am afraid it will broken my headphone :frowning2:. Thanks

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,820 of 3,690
  Hello,
After turning on the Vali2 for few seconds, there is a loud pop sound in my headphone (not from the amp). Is there anyone out here have this problem with the Vali2 like me? I am afraid it will broken my headphone :frowning2:. Thanks

The pop is normal. The Vali 2 has a muting relay so it will not damage the headphones when you turn the amp on. If your headphones are low impedance or if you are still concerned, you can wait to plug your headphones in until after the amp has been on for 10 seconds. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #1,821 of 3,690
This pop is louder or quieter depending on the tube in my experience.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,822 of 3,690
Hello, I'm still a newbie but I really like to learn...
I've these headphones, AKG K 702 and Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO I've used them with a good cable with a JDS Labs oxygen and a FiiO X3 2nd gen.
Now I  bought these beautiful amp, the Vali 2, it's my first valve (hybrid one) and some of my flac 24 bit sounds much better while others seems worse, I dont know if it's because the valve need more hours to be ready, if the cable i'm using is not ok, or the valve itself..
any kind of information and help is really welcome..

thank you :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #1,823 of 3,690
  Hello, I'm still a newbie but I really like to learn...
I've these headphones, AKG K 702 and Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO I've used them with a good cable with a JDS Labs oxygen and a FiiO X3 2nd gen.
Now I  bought these beautiful amp, the Vali 2, it's my first valve (hybrid one) and some of my flac 24 bit sounds much better while others seems worse, I dont know if it's because the valve need more hours to be ready, if the cable i'm using is not ok, or the valve itself..
any kind of information and help is really welcome..

thank you :)

I think that you are experiencing something related to the overall balancing of the system.
Probably, the combination between the music gender, recording quality, DAC, amp, headphones, sounds different to your ears and you have a different SQ perception.
In my very personal case, sometimes I like to listen to the same song with different headphones or different amp because of my mood.
I know that my things have different sound signatures, so I chose the one that I desire to listen to.
You can read in this blog about people that swap the valves based on the music that they are listening for that reason.
In any case I strongly suggest you to give valve some hours of running-in and get used to the "tubey" sound of the Vali2.

Enjoy your music.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #1,824 of 3,690
  Hello,

Sometimes I use the Vali2 as a preamp and I let it to warm up before switching on my M-Audio monitors.
So I do with the headphones.
I respect the opinion of everyone regarding the fact the pop will or will not damage the headphones/monitors, but personally I do not like the loud pop at the engagement of the relay.
It's also true that some tubes make less noise.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,825 of 3,690

I think that you are experiencing something related to the overall balancing of the system.
Probably, the combination between the music gender, recording quality, DAC, amp, headphones, sounds different to your ears and you have a different SQ perception.
In my very personal case, sometimes I like to listen to the same song with different headphones or different amp because of my mood.
I know that my things have different sound signatures, so I chose the one that I desire to listen to.
You can read in this blog about people that swap the valves based on the music that they are listening for that reason.
In any case I strongly suggest you to give valve some hours of running-in and get used to the "tubey" sound of the Vali2.

Enjoy your music.
wink.gif

Thank you so much :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,826 of 3,690
I just got my Vali 2, and I was hoping to get input from you guys. How much pressure do you put on the tube when putting it in? It feels like I'm going to snap the board with how much pressure I'm putting down. There is no indication that the tube is going in any sort of distance (like that sliding feeling you would get, or a slide then stop). Then if I wiggle the tube (gently) it just pops out like it was never in. Is this normal?

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #1,827 of 3,690
  I just got my Vali 2, and I was hoping to get input from you guys. How much pressure do you put on the tube when putting it in? It feels like I'm going to snap the board with how much pressure I'm putting down. There is no indication that the tube is going in any sort of distance (like that sliding feeling you would get, or a slide then stop). Then if I wiggle the tube (gently) it just pops out like it was never in. Is this normal?

If you are going to do any tube rolling, buy one of these:

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

You have push the tube in firmly. It will slide all the way in and you should be able to feel it bottom out.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #1,828 of 3,690

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

You have push the tube in firmly. It will slide all the way in and you should be able to feel it bottom out.

Man, I put what seems like a LOT of pressure on it. I'll check out that tube too

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #1,829 of 3,690

<removed link because of my lack of permissions>

Man, I put what seems like a LOT of pressure on that tube and I'm hesitant to put more pressure on it. 

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,830 of 3,690

Man, I put what seems like a LOT of pressure on that tube and I'm hesitant to put more pressure on it. 

Are you sure the pins are lined up properly? The pins will disappear into the socket when installed correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back