Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Feb 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,021 of 3,690
I don't have a DAC either, I'm guessing that the Modi 2 would be the best option there as well. Do I need the Uber?

You don't need the Uber unless you want/need the extra inputs. However the Uber will match the Vali 2 chassis better as the regular Modi 2 is painted steel, not aluminum.

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,022 of 3,690
You don't need the Uber unless you want/need the extra inputs. However the Uber will match the Vali 2 chassis better as the regular Modi 2 is painted steel, not aluminum.

I can't find any evidence that there's any difference between the Modi 2 and the Modi 2 uber in the "meat" of the circuits. So far as I can tell, the only differences are the two extra inputs, the switch to change between them, the brushed aluminum chassis cover vs the painted steel chassis cover, and the dedicated power. The dedicated power being necessary for the optical and coax inputs, and possibly beneficial to the usb input depending on whether the power output of your motherboard is dirty.

I've got my vali 2 about 2 feet from my modi 2 (non-uber) because that way I can tuck them under monitors instead of wasting desk space stacking them. I never even look at the modi 2 so the fact that it's painted steel doesn't even concern me. That said, they look similar enough that I don't think it would have bothered me to stack em.

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,023 of 3,690
I can't find any evidence that there's any difference between the Modi 2 and the Modi 2 uber in the "meat" of the circuits. So far as I can tell, the only differences are the two extra inputs, the switch to change between them, the brushed aluminum chassis cover vs the painted steel chassis cover, and the dedicated power. The dedicated power being necessary for the optical and coax inputs, and possibly beneficial to the usb input depending on whether the power output of your motherboard is dirty.

I've got my vali 2 about 2 feet from my modi 2 (non-uber) because that way I can tuck them under monitors instead of wasting desk space stacking them. I never even look at the modi 2 so the fact that it's painted steel doesn't even concern me. That said, they look similar enough that I don't think it would have bothered me to stack em.

Yep, if you don't need the extra inputs then the regular Modi 2 will work just as well.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,025 of 3,690

I don't have a DAC either, I'm guessing that the Modi 2 would be the best option there as well. Do I need the Uber?

I have found the Uber's additional inputs to be very useful. I use it in my setup with PC, PS3, TV .. So it's versatile enough to be connected in various scenarios. Also, personally I prefer the sound connected by Toslink to the sound connected by USB.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,026 of 3,690
First time posting.  Got a Vali 2 for Christmas.  I have a MAC with Roon, to WYRD to Nuforce DAC/Headphone amp/Pre Amp, to VALI2 to Audioengine powered speakers.  Almost always listen to speakers not headphones.  I plan to get a Bitforst Multbit when budget allows
My question is re gain/volume settings.  I run all software at max volume. But what should gain be on Nuforce and Vali2?  
I have Nuforce at 50% and Vali at 60-70%

Thanks

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #1,027 of 3,690
The amp isn't supposed to arrive until Wednesday but I ordered an Amperex on eBay for $19. I'm really excited to see the amp and compare the two tubes!

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,028 of 3,690
  First time posting.  Got a Vali 2 for Christmas.  I have a MAC with Roon, to WYRD to Nuforce DAC/Headphone amp/Pre Amp, to VALI2 to Audioengine powered speakers.  Almost always listen to speakers not headphones.  I plan to get a Bitforst Multbit when budget allows
My question is re gain/volume settings.  I run all software at max volume. But what should gain be on Nuforce and Vali2?  
I have Nuforce at 50% and Vali at 60-70%

Thanks

Do you mean gain or do you mean the volume knob on the amp. For powered speakers I would have the gain switch on High for the Vali 2 for sure. Does your Nufoce have line out or pre-out connections? I wouldn't recommend bi-amping unless it was entirely necessary, but keep the gain setting on Low for the nuforce in a biamp setup.

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #1,029 of 3,690
Didn't even know these were released. I wonder if this will be the less expensive amp sweet spot I was looking for. It's always hard to find something that will work well with most of all of your equipment.

I've been looking for an AMP or DAC/AMP that will do well with

HD700
TH-X00
Fidelio X2
B&W P7 (This one isn't necessary though)

I'm hoping that this amp will calm the highs of the hd700 and sound well with the TH-X00 and X2's.

The other reason I would enjoy this is that I could use them with my Creative Titanium HD using a RCA out (if that is advisable?). Right now I have a pain in the ass setup where my headphones are connected to the Creative (without amp or a usable volume knob), another headphone set connected to a fiio E17, and powered speakers connected to the realtek jack since the creative. Being able to just unplug headphones easily on my desktop while being able to use a volume knob will be awesome.

Oh, one other question. Using the RCA out on the Vali 2 with powered speakers, is this advisable? I use the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia's right now which output from only 1 green rca jack. Would have to get a RCA splitter I guess. How do you select between the headphone out and RCA Out or do one of them take priority when plugged in?

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #1,030 of 3,690
  Didn't even know these were released. I wonder if this will be the less expensive amp sweet spot I was looking for. It's always hard to find something that will work well with most of all of your equipment.

I've been looking for an AMP or DAC/AMP that will do well with

HD700
TH-X00
Fidelio X2
B&W P7 (This one isn't necessary though)

I'm hoping that this amp will calm the highs of the hd700 and sound well with the TH-X00 and X2's.

The other reason I would enjoy this is that I could use them with my Creative Titanium HD using a RCA out (if that is advisable?). Right now I have a pain in the ass setup where my headphones are connected to the Creative (without amp or a usable volume knob), another headphone set connected to a fiio E17, and powered speakers connected to the realtek jack since the creative. Being able to just unplug headphones easily on my desktop while being able to use a volume knob will be awesome.

Oh, one other question. Using the RCA out on the Vali 2 with powered speakers, is this advisable? I use the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia's right now which output from only 1 green rca jack. Would have to get a RCA splitter I guess. How do you select between the headphone out and RCA Out or do one of them take priority when plugged in?

To answer your second question, the preamp out on the Vali 2 is absolutely designed to be used with powered speakers. When you plug in headphones, the preamp output is muted.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,031 of 3,690
  Do you mean gain or do you mean the volume knob on the amp. For powered speakers I would have the gain switch on High for the Vali 2 for sure. Does your Nufoce have line out or pre-out connections? I wouldn't recommend bi-amping unless it was entirely necessary, but keep the gain setting on Low for the nuforce in a biamp setup.

Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately the NuForce has only pre out connections, not line out.  This is a good reason to buy the Bifrost Multibit DAC sooner rather than later!!

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,032 of 3,690
I just bought a vali 2 through user i20bot. 

Question - I've read that the stock tube is somewhat aggressive and sibilant. What warm / bassy tubes have you guys enjoyed? For reference this will be driving my he-400.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,033 of 3,690
Just got my Vali 2. Came with a stock Sylvania tube made in the USA.
Using my X2s and HD600s. 

Just a quick question. Is it normal for me wanting to use Hi gain for the X2's with this amp? I felt that the X2s seemed a little underpowered in the Lo Gain setting as i needed to set it to 2 o'clock to get a adequate listening level.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #1,034 of 3,690
  Just got my Vali 2. Came with a stock Sylvania tube made in the USA.
Using my X2s and HD600s. 

Just a quick question. Is it normal for me wanting to use Hi gain for the X2's with this amp? I felt that the X2s seemed a little underpowered in the Lo Gain setting as i needed to set it to 2 o'clock to get a adequate listening level.

Is your source output low? I use a Bifrost 4490 with the digital volume set to 100% in JRiver on my PC. I have the Vali 2 in low gain with my 300ohm HD600s and I never go beyond 10 o'clock.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #1,035 of 3,690

Is your source output low? I use a Bifrost 4490 with the digital volume set to 100% in JRiver on my PC. I have the Vali 2 in low gain with my 300ohm HD600s and I never go beyond 10 o'clock.

I'm running Mac > ODAC > Vali 2.

Using Apple Music 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back