Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #1,726 of 3,697
Hoping I can get an answer in this thread: I'm currently using the original Vali with the HD650.  Should I look into getting a Vali 2 or a Valhalla 2 for the HD650?  I only listen to the HD650s with my desktop setup.

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #1,727 of 3,697
Hoping I can get an answer in this thread: I'm currently using the original Vali with the HD650.  Should I look into getting a Vali 2 or a Valhalla 2 for the HD650?  I only listen to the HD650s with my desktop setup.

Thanks.

Do you want a more mellow or aggressive sound? The Vali 2 is more laid-back and the Valhalla 2 has a sharper sound. It is technically superior and more detailed. Personally I prefer the Vali, as I prefer mellow.

Edit: also something to consider if you live in a hot climate: the Valhalla puts out a good amount of heat from the four tubes. The Vali I don't really notice, even in S. Florida.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,728 of 3,697
Do you want a more mellow or aggressive sound? The Vali 2 is more laid-back and the Valhalla 2 has a sharper sound. It is technically superior and more detailed. Personally I prefer the Vali, as I prefer mellow.

Edit: also something to consider if you live in a hot climate: the Valhalla puts out a good amount of heat from the four tubes. The Vali I don't really notice, even in S. Florida.

Thanks for your reply.  I guess I am looking for something more aggressive than my Vali 1.  Can you give an example, maybe with certain types of music, where I'd hear the major difference btwn the two amps?  I primarily listen to classic rock, jazz, classical, and deep house music.

Also, would I see an improvement in the sound stage btwn the two amps?

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,729 of 3,697

Thanks for your reply.  I guess I am looking for something more aggressive than my Vali 1.  Can you give an example, maybe with certain types of music, where I'd hear the major difference btwn the two amps?  I primarily listen to classic rock, jazz, classical, and deep house music.

Also, would I see an improvement in the sound stage btwn the two amps?

Thanks.

I listen to mainly rock, but the difference between the amps would be noticeable with anything. An OTL amp has a distinct sound that a hybrid doesn't. It's kind of hard for me to put into the words the difference, though. 

I don't really the remember the soundstage differences (I sold the Valhalla a number of months ago.), but I would be inclined to state the Valhalla is better, a little wider left to right. 

I will say that overall the Valhalla 2 is the better amp, if you like an aggressive sound (for a tube amp). 

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,730 of 3,697
I have a question for those who have the Vali 2 and Hifiman HE400i.
What position do you find the volume control in for gooder sound levels? I currently have the Fulla2 and find it have to have it up to 2 o'clock to get proper sound levels. I feel this is leaving very little headroom for peaks as I am hearing distortion at points.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,731 of 3,697
What position do you find the volume control in for gooder sound levels? I currently have the Fulla2 and find it have to have it up to 2 o'clock to get proper sound levels. I feel this is leaving very little headroom for peaks as I am hearing distortion at points.

I think you will gain much more volume upgrading to any other Schiit amp (starting from the 99$ Magni 2). I don't know if you can use the Vali 2 in high gain mode because of the headphones impedance (32 ohms) and in low gain mode you'll probably have less volume. 

If you just need more volume, I'd go for the Magni 2. If you need more quality, I'd go for a more expensive (than the Magni 2) option. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (Junior Head-FI'ER here)
:) 

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,732 of 3,697

I have an HE400 and Vali2 at 11o'clock is as loud as I could wish for using high gain, with an ECC88 tube and Mimby DAC source, out-putting 2Vrms.max. Sounds good too, with no audible distortion.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #1,733 of 3,697

I run my Vali 2 and 400i's in low gain mode. The low setting sounds better to me.  Something just over 12 o'clock is sufficient for most things. The Vali 2 has ample power for the 400i's. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #1,734 of 3,697
I think you will gain much more volume upgrading to any other Schiit amp (starting from the 99$ Magni 2). I don't know if you can use the Vali 2 in high gain mode because of the headphones impedance (32 ohms) and in low gain mode you'll probably have less volume. 

If you just need more volume, I'd go for the Magni 2. If you need more quality, I'd go for a more expensive (than the Magni 2) option. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (Junior Head-FI'ER here)
:) 

I didn't really notice too much difference power wise between the Magni2U and the Vali 2.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #1,735 of 3,697
Well I have RA'd the Fulla2 and ordered a Vali2.  I will have to run without a dac for a bit but plan to pick up a Mimby once they have my return credited to me.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,738 of 3,697
Why is there so few comment on Vali 2 paired with the LCD-2? Were they not born for each other? 
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #1,740 of 3,697
Apologies in advance if this question is redundant.  I previously owned the Vali 2 and purchased an Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH Tube to "Roll" with the Vali 2.  Unfortunately, I could never get the EH to sit right with the Vali 2 and was very hesitant to apply too much pressure in fear of breaking the pins (despite several owners using the EH with the Vali 2).  I am considering purchasing the Vali 2 again and would really like to Tube Roll safely.  Would a Socket Saver help?  If so, which one would you recommend?  Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back