Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 9, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,711 of 3,690
One question, I have looked at pictures of other people's Vali2s and it looks like they have an LED that illuminates the tube itself, like the Aune T1 does. With mine, the front light comes on which provides a little light through the holes in the top of the unit, but there doesn't seem to be a dedicated tube light. Not that I care particularly, I find the tube light on my Aune T1 distracting and actually painted it red, but the e88cc I'm using with the Vali2 doesn't light up at all, except two tiny dots of red light. I had expected that, seeing that the tube isn't just a buffer on the Schiit it would light up somewhat more. Meanwhile I've been using this for 12 days now and I couldn't be happier with the sound, really brings out details tha the Aune amp doesn't.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #1,712 of 3,690
My vali2 doesn't have a led to light up the tube. I do have bleed-thru of the front mounted led through the vent holes on top. The stock tube on mine also doesn't light up that much but it sounds very good. Figure the "hotter" a tube glows the shorter its lifespan so your tube should last quite a while. Helps when you leave it on all night after falling asleep with your cans on

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,716 of 3,690
Schiit uses LEDs for biasing, not any cosmetic purpose. 

Thanks for clearing that up, I know that others do so for cosmetic purposes (e.g. My Aune T1) I had just wondered whether I had a burned out LED under the tube, clearly not.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,718 of 3,690
I have a MF X-Can V2 that I had put in storage for various reasons.  I'm going to be pulling it back out and I was thinking of getting an upgrade kit for it (~$80 right now based on exchange rates).  I'm also interested in the Vali 2.

Anyone have an idea how the X-Can sounds in comparison to the Vali 2?  I'd primarily be listening with a pair of  HD580 and Grado 325 (hence the hybrid tube amps).

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,719 of 3,690
Well I've had my v2 for around a month & am so impressed. Been & bought a couple of tubes. Subtle differences. Just need to upgrade the weak link in my system. The DAC. Modi multibit, I hear thy call & will liberate thee from the tyranny of the stock pile.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,721 of 3,690
Naive question:

If you turn off the Vali 2, will the RCA input and RCA output still work? (Transfer audio from DAC to active monitors)

I have a "Modi Multibit" DAC and a pair of active monitors.
I'm receiving a pair of AKG K701 headphones next week (for 120€ I think it is a good deal), and this is one of the "amps" I'm considering (200€ is the price in Europe)...But since it's a tube amp, and I'll only use it with the headphones, maybe I can turn it off and still use the DAC with my monitors....

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #1,722 of 3,690
  Naive question:

If you turn off the Vali 2, will the RCA input and RCA output still work? (Transfer audio from DAC to active monitors)

I have a "Modi Multibit" DAC and a pair of active monitors.
I'm receiving a pair of AKG K701 headphones next week (for 120€ I think it is a good deal), and this is one of the "amps" I'm considering (200€ is the price in Europe)...But since it's a tube amp, and I'll only use it with the headphones, maybe I can turn it off and still use the DAC with my monitors....

Thanks!

No, there will be no sound with the amp off. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #1,723 of 3,690
Maxed out Schiit Stack. Wywires Platinum USB cable and Silver ICs, Siemens 6922 CCa

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,724 of 3,690
  No, there will be no sound with the amp off. 

Thanks Rick!

At first I thought that was a bad thing (because I'd had to power on the Vali 2 "just for using the Monitors"). But then researching more, I've learned that the preamp output is also benefited by the tubes, i'm novice at all this.... ( I don't know what kind of improvement could I get in the Monitors mixing the ModiMultibit and the Vali 2 preamp.....but if we're talking about coloring more the sound, then it should be good to me! ). 

Anyway...I'm still deciding between the cheaper "Fulla 2" (bypassing fulla DAC) and the more expensive "Vali 2" to connect to both the monitors and my new headphones (akg k701) using the Modi Multibit I have at the moment. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #1,725 of 3,690
Hi all - first post here in awhile. The upgrade bug got me.
wink_face.gif

I have a pair of HiFiMan HE-400's powered and DAC'ed with a Dragonfly original. I wanted to get a headphone amp for them as the Dragonfly's amp section leaves a bit to be desired and I have been spending a lot of time away from my main speaker system. I was looking at the Vali 2 and the Asgard 2. Does anyone have experience on the HE-400's (not the 400S or 400i) with Vali 2 and the Asgard 2? I just want to know if the price difference is justified at all. Looks like everyone here loves the Vali 2 but I haven't seen a lot of comparisons on the Asgard 2 vs Vali 2. I listen to classical, folk, classic rock, [real] country, etc. Basically anything but hard rock or metal. I am very sensitive to brightness and don't want to increase that on the 400's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back