Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 17, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #136 of 3,702
At least you're lucky it's just the one tube.
Reading some other threads on rolling - people have to prioritize when an amp is full of 4 or more of the things.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #137 of 3,702
Ok, thank you, I think latter I'll get the modi2 Uber. But, dosnt the extra rca cables through the SYS interfer a little with sound quality? (Since its passive?) .
If you already have a DAC and AMP, just get the SYS and split between the two.

If you are looking for your end-game DAC, the Bifrost will be upgradable. But to me, it's a different topic - a SYS today will let you continue using your existing system and add the Vali 2.

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #138 of 3,702
Ok, thank you, I think latter I'll get the modi2 Uber. But, dosnt the extra rca cables through the SYS interfer a little with sound quality? (Since its passive?) .

Nope. Nadda. No way!
The SYS just sounds good, both directions, with volume set to full. Use it to compare two sources or split a source into two 
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #140 of 3,702
My Vali 2 arrived yesterday at my office while I was home sick.  I came in early today and worked through lunch so I could get home early and plug her in.  The Vali 1 has been one of my favorite amps for a long time.  In spite of the noise and microphonics, it just did somethings so well that connected me to the music like no other amp has.  Until now.  The Vali 2 captures the magic of what the original did but much much lower noise and distortion and no ringing.  I currently have hooked up to my Bifrost MB in my living room system.  Damn, I just bought an asgard 2 to get this system going.  Well, it's probably getting sold now.  Maybe.  You can never have too many amps (or guitars).  I will hook up in my main system tomorrow with the Yggy feeding it.  For now, I'm just floored.  So far, just my Oppos PM-3s.  I'll swap out some other cans as I get the time.  Right now I'm just enjoying.  Gee Willikers, Jason.  Knocked this one out of the park, man.  Well done.  I know I've been pounding my fist on the forum for months asking for my Vali 2 after all the other second gen amps came out.  Good things come to those who wait.  I can't wait to hook up my T1s later.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #141 of 3,702

I do have a question considering some very mild 60hz hum that I am experiencing with low-impedance high-sensitivity headphones such as the Grados or the PX100. Basically, on these type of phones, there is a low level hum present at any volume setting in the high gain mode. It is very mild and can only be heard when no music is playing.

Second thing that I noticed is that compared to the original Vali, the muting relay allows for a slightly louder pop when the amp is first turned on, especially if you are using the high-gain mode. Not to the point that it is uncomfortable, even on sensitive headphones, but it is something that is different compared to the original which had a mild pop and the famous ringing. The funny thing is that the actual mechanical relay click sound is much softer on the Vali 2 - looking at the board pictures, it is obvious that it is using a much smaller NEC relay, so I guess it is normal that it is behaving quite differently.

Regarding the hum: I can confirm it does have a low level hum with low Z cans and the gain on high. I didn't notice it yesterday (probably due to my excitement and almost exclusive 650 listening). As you noted, the hum does not change volume up or down. I am guessing it's normal for the amp? Note that I do not hear the hum with the 650's.

I too noticed the relay pop. It happened twice last night, and scared me both times. 
blink.gif
Oddly, it didn't happen every time I powered on. Either way, I will no longer be powering up with headphones plugged in. It may be safe, but still...I don't want to risk it.

Quote:

Thanks! Just to update everyone, someone from Schiit tech support got back to me on both of these items and said that they are normal. I will follow up to ask whether it's safe to leave low-impedance headphones plugged in while powering on in high gain mode. Their manual says that it is but does not hurt asking them to confirm that it is safe under any circumstances.

Thanks for following up on that. I was worried that my unit had an issue. Glad it's all ok.
cool.gif

Can someone comment on the light output of the Vali 2? From pictures, it doesn't look like Schiit has LEDs illuminating the tube.

I'm looking into replacing my bedside table headphone amp I listen to at night. Currently, I use a Bravo V1 and I hate the bright LED lights and EMI sensitivity. Since I have a dozen or so tubes already for the V1 that will work with the Vali 2, I'm interested. Is there any tube illumination on the Vali 2? Also, how bright is the white power LED?

Here is a pic of the Vali 2 powered up in a 100% dark room, for reference. Pic was taken with iPhone 6 with no flash engaged.
  To throw some more fuel on the rolling opportunities, Mike Moffat has told me he likes 6CG7s in the Vali 2. While this tube isn't on the "official" tube list (and it does look extra silly--it's a big tube) it does highlight the fact that you can use tubes up to 600mA heater current with Vali 2.

So, if it has 6DJ8 pinout, 6V heater, and 600mA heater current or under, it's good to go with Vali 2. In addition to the 6CG7s, this opens up the 6N1P as well.

Happy rolling! (And don't go too crazy with it--you can easily eclipse the price of the Vali 2 in tubes.)

Very cool!

Knowing next to nothing about tubes, especially when it comes to heater voltages and current, is it safe to say that ALL 6CG7, 6N1P, 6DJ8, ECC88, and 6N23P tubes are good to go? Additionally, I often see tubes listed as E88CC. Are these the same thing as ECC88 and are they safe to use as well?

Ahh Great. The Vali 2 Has not even arrived yet and now I want to buy tubes to roll.

LOL! I'm glad I wasn't the only one window shopping for tubes before I had it in hand! 
biggrin.gif

To be honest, the stock tube sounds wonderful to my ears, so between that (and my crying wallet), I will be happily listening with it bone stock. No tube upgrade required IMO.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #142 of 3,702
  To throw some more fuel on the rolling opportunities, Mike Moffat has told me he likes 6CG7s in the Vali 2. While this tube isn't on the "official" tube list (and it does look extra silly--it's a big tube) it does highlight the fact that you can use tubes up to 600mA heater current with Vali 2.

So, if it has 6DJ8 pinout, 6V heater, and 600mA heater current or under, it's good to go with Vali 2. In addition to the 6CG7s, this opens up the 6N1P as well.

Happy rolling! (And don't go too crazy with it--you can easily eclipse the price of the Vali 2 in tubes.)

This is actually pretty hilarious. I was just talking to Fox about some of the other tubes that might sound great in the amp but was hesitant about the added heater draw. One of which was the 6n1 (I've got a few that run it and love it!). This is great news for the vali2 folks.....there's a couple other hidden diamonds that will fit the profile now.

As always, great work jason and mike
cool.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #143 of 3,702

This is actually pretty hilarious. I was just talking to Fox about some of the other tubes that might sound great in the amp but was hesitant about the added heater draw. One of which was the 6n1 (I've got a few that run it and love it!). This is great news for the vali2 folks.....there's a couple other hidden diamonds that will fit the profile now.

As always, great work jason and mike
cool.gif

Now to find some rusky toobs, dude.  In Soviet Russia, tubes roll you.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #144 of 3,702
  Now to find some rusky toobs, dude.  In Soviet Russia, tubes roll you.

if it weren't for the 12V heater, the 12au7 might be interesting....without knowing too much about the bias the 5965 *might* work .....and a few others I'm sure. If it weren't for the socket difference there's a few 6SN7 style that could bode well too......Let me dig out some references and see what's what.

I get down to your territory again and I'll bring a slough of tubes and my bias probe. See what works.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #145 of 3,702
A question for those more tech savvy than I.

As the Vali 2 is a hybrid amp, does that mean that the preamp stage is where the tube is inserted, and the amplification stage is solid state?

Apologies for the silly question, but I assume this is the case, especially since the Vali 2 uses preamp tubes.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #146 of 3,702

Regarding the hum: I can confirm it does have a low level hum with low Z cans and the gain on high. I didn't notice it yesterday (probably due to my excitement and almost exclusive 650 listening). As you noted, the hum does not change volume up or down. I am guessing it's normal for the amp? Note that I do not hear the hum with the 650's.

I too noticed the relay pop. It happened twice last night, and scared me both times. 
blink.gif
Oddly, it didn't happen every time I powered on. Either way, I will no longer be powering up with headphones plugged in. It may be safe, but still...I don't want to risk it.
Quote:
Thanks for following up on that. I was worried that my unit had an issue. Glad it's all ok.
cool.gif

Here is a pic of the Vali 2 powered up in a 100% dark room, for reference. Pic was taken with iPhone 6 with no flash engaged.
Very cool!

Knowing next to nothing about tubes, especially when it comes to heater voltages and current, is it safe to say that ALL 6CG7, 6N1P, 6DJ8, ECC88, and 6N23P tubes are good to go? Additionally, I often see tubes listed as E88CC. Are these the same thing as ECC88 and are they safe to use as well?

LOL! I'm glad I wasn't the only one window shopping for tubes before I had it in hand! 
biggrin.gif

To be honest, the stock tube sounds wonderful to my ears, so between that (and my crying wallet), I will be happily listening with it bone stock. No tube upgrade required IMO.

the 6DJ8 is a helluva tube so its no surprise why schiit used it. The 6N1 will draw more heater current and (depending on the filament supply) could cause issues. Why I was talking about it and a few other alternatives with the reserve on heater supply. the 6N23 is a compatible with the ECC88 so it should be okay. NOTE that i don't have a vali2 in my hands (yet) and I'm just rattling off a few ideas with other schiit fanatics on options and I'm *just* and enthusiast :p. I've got a list of other compatible tubes I'll look at tomorrow and see what may or may not work if it will supply 600ma on the heaters.

In the little time the Vali2 has been out I've been REALLY excited about it, especially after hearing so much praise on the original vali. I think this one might be a game changer in terms of what we (the consumer) have for options!

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #147 of 3,702
  A question for those more tech savvy than I.

As the Vali 2 is a hybrid amp, does that me the preamp stage is where the tube is inserted, and the amplification stage is solid state?

Apologies for the silly question, but I assume this is the case, especially since the Vali 2 uses preamp tubes.

Not a silly question at all, from what I understood on the original vali....the reason for using a solid state driver stage was....well...multiple reasons. With more traditional valves (like the 12ax7) we've been plagued with the ability to drive output stages due to the nature of the tube. This is why *most* hybrid amps will use a solid state output to address a few of those issues. For those same reasons I'm sure schiit stuck with the same topology and used the tube for a gain stage and the sand for an output. Most of the guys I've talked to will prefer a solid state output for their capability to drive a variety of loads w.r.t the tubes.

Again...speculation on my part....and holds it worth for what you paid for it :wink:

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #148 of 3,702

Not a silly question at all, from what I understood on the original vali....the reason for using a solid state driver stage was....well...multiple reasons. With more traditional valves (like the 12ax7) we've been plagued with the ability to drive output stages due to the nature of the tube. This is why *most* hybrid amps will use a solid state output to address a few of those issues. For those same reasons I'm sure schiit stuck with the same topology and used the tube for a gain stage and the sand for an output. Most of the guys I've talked to will prefer a solid state output for their capability to drive a variety of loads w.r.t the tubes.

Again...speculation on my part....and holds it worth for what you paid for it :wink:

Yeah, in reading the chapter that Jason wrote about this amp, it looked like that was the way he went, due to multiple reasons as you state. Cost was also a factor in this amp, but to my ears, it's much better (in every regard) than I had expected for the price.

To be quite honest, I was thinking I would get it and think it was "ok". Not something crazy good, but a "decent tube 'starter' amp" so-to-speak. A way to test the tube water, to see if I wanted to invest in some "serious" tube gear. I was not prepared for what I actually heard. This amp is no toy IMO. Now I'm sure there are some well seasoned audiophiles out there who may scoff at the hybrid design, or the brand name, or the price, etc, but when you listen to it, you are rewarded with some really nice sounding audio IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #149 of 3,702
Fox had the same reaction. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

As an aside even in the world of "pure sand" you can make a FET sound a lot like a tube...quite easily. Truth be told the SS alternatives to tubes will have a lot better z-drive...which...again is just due to their nature of construction. This is the constant 'battle' between the old folks stuck in their ways and us "new kids on the block". In the end through, tubes and sand both have their place in topology. Each does something special and as usual.....mike and jason realized that and hit this one out of the park.

Damnit i just bought some new cans....*i dont need a vali2, i dont need a vali2....i DONT NEED A VALI2*....okay...maybe i do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back