Official NYC Spring 2010 Meet Saturday, March 13th
Mar 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #91 of 188
It was my boy's 6th Birthday Party that day - glad to hear you had so much fun on a rainy day as well!

Downer is that my mom stole my modded K81DJs after I let her borrow them to listen to vids on her laptop. Dang. That was my second pair already! Time to grab a third...

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #92 of 188
Thanks for answering all these questions Aaron. Also, I can't see how it hurts to be honest. Especially with a newbie like me, we go to these meets, do not know anyone, and it is a bit difficult to navigate what proper protocol is (i.e. listening to headphones during the auction, sorry). Working in the service industry, however, I do know what is not acceptable. I know that what you said about contributions was in no way directed towards me but since you brought it up, I might as well elaborate on what you said. I did not in any way know how much I should donate. These meets do not happen automagically, that I knew. I settled on 2 figures for myself, $20 and $40. I ended up only giving $20 but I felt somewhat guilty about it afterwards. I sensed that you not only had your eye on me, but so did others, and I felt thwarted from listening to some of the equipment that was there. Obviously, I was an outsider, so I only gave $20. I think that was fine for my first time, but again, I wish I would've donated more.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #93 of 188
As far as the 2010 Spring Financials are concerned, it seems that each year we have more member and vendor donations for the silent auction and just out of pocket cash donations, but also, it has gotten more expensive, because I now rent out 2 rooms, so everyone can be comfortable and to keep the noise levels down to a dull roar.
This year we had new vendors, and lost some vendors due to timing. Beyer Dynamics, Monster and Whiplash Audio joined us, but we missed, Red Wine Audio, HeadAmp, and Moon Audio. As usual, we had Head-Direct, Ray Samuels Audio and Jack Woo, who always donate items beyond normal generosity, that help us out. Sorry if I left anyone out.
This year Monster donated 3 pairs of their Turbine Pro Copper IEM's (MSRP $399 each) and Beyer Dynamics donated their DT860's (MSRP $269).
Ray Samuels donated a Tomahawk ($300 msrp) and paid for a pair of the DT860's, which he immediately, put back in the pot and let Yikes re-auction them off.
Jack Woo donated 3 headphone stands, and Whiplash donated a Tee shirt and one of their $300 TWag IEM cables. Head-Direct donated 4 pairs of headphones (approximately $400 in product).
Members donated a multitude of items, including a beautiful tube amp and a pre-amp/tuner, new headphones and some extremely nice CD/SACD's.

Of course the most coveted items on the auction block were a KC and the Sunshine Band CD, a MC Hammer vinyl classic, and a non-working, plug missing Oppo player.
bigsmile_face.gif

The 2 rooms normally go for $600/$500 respectively, and that would be for the hours of from 10-4 or 4-10, because they usually have 2 parties per day, but we have built up such a nice relationship with the manager, that he allowed us extended time in both rooms (which meant he couldn't have the 2nd parties afterwards...so the hotel lost a chunk of change) and we only paid $750 instead of $1100 for the 2 rooms (remember, these are NYC prices). That and the inclusion of free parking and Wi-Fi. So it is always a good deal for us. I think we lost about 20 attendees due to the weather.

We have an overage this meet of $780, which Erikzen (and his Fall overage) and Yikes and I are going to throw around some ideas as what to do with it.
Some of it will be donated to Head-Fi in the name of the NYC Contingent, and then we might do things like cater lunch/beverages and similar items. Maybe take a bus after the meet and see a concert or just go to dinner and pay for everybody. Who knows. We do want to leave a cushion of ~$400
for down payments for future meets and other unknown variables. We'll see.

Now some might say "why is he complaining that some people didn't give donations when we had an overage", and that is because a lot of years we don't have so much cash flow, and my concern is that every participant is not contributing (even if it's a little, whatever anyone can afford) and others are taking up the slack for them. For example, if Monster and Beyer didn't come this year, there would not have been any overage.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #94 of 188
Headphone listening is usually an insular exercise, so if you think of it that way, every time you pop on some cans, everyone suddenly becomes an outsider! Unless you're wearing Grados. Those cans are pretty darn open.

Anyhow, big meets are good for socializing - heck, plenty folks go there just to catch up now, since their rigs have stabilized. For the first timers tho, couple the Candy Store effect with the Chatty Patties all around, and it can seem like you just can't fit in all the time you need to even listen to the cans, let alone talk to folks.

Talkin' will come. For now, just enjoy all the stuff there, chat up a few folks who brought the rigs you like, touch base back here in the forums and bingo, it'll all go down smooth. For me, I found concentrating on sealed cans at the meet was the best approach, a trial by fire of sorts. Nothing wrong with blasting some PS-1s tho!

edit- oh, and i just pulled the trigger on some used black K518DJs from Canada, and bought some black velour HD25-1 pads from Senn USA. Time to get back up to speed!

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #96 of 188
DavidhunterNYC, I was totally joking about the part of keeping my eye on you, because you had brought up the concerns about theft.
The fact that you donated something, no matter how large or small, is what matters. This in no way pertained to you.

It was your fist meet and yet you still knew to make a donation, and we invite everyone who attends to have no fears about trying anyone's equipment (that's what it's there for) as long as everyone respects the equipment. If you want to use someone else's headphones in your setup, just ask. If you want to try a DAC or someone's portable or even a CD, just ask the owner and make sure you put it back in the right spot.
This is a very sharing community. You did not need to feel any hesitation about trying anything. It has always been like that.

This was all written in SiBurnings Meet Etiquette web page which was linked in the first post.

OK, let's get off this off topic subject. It was my OT, but it's something I've been seeing for years and felt a need to express. There is never any obligation to donate at a meet, but my personal beliefs feel that every member should. But those are my beliefs and you can tell me to go suck on an egg if you disagree.

Back to our regularly scheduled meet impressions.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #97 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, Jack Woo donated 3 headphone stands. ; )

Thanks for pointing out my mistake publicly
tongue.gif
...I corrected it. Sorry Jack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doompigeon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a donation link for those who didn't chip in the first time?

Thanks for the offer doompigeon, but we hope to see you for many years to come.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #99 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was Stereophile's Home Entertainment or H.E. Show which moved from NYC to LA 3 years back, because they were losing money, and then still lost money, so now, each year since, they have had their show each year the same time in Vegas at CES, just not in the convention center (I believe it was in the Venetian) which makes perfect sense, since you already have thousands of people in one spot interested in electronics.

Actually the Stereophile show moved between NY and the West Coast many times. I've attended Stereophile Shows in NY, San Francisco, and LA. It is officially defunct, although Sterophile has now begun Co-Sponsoring the annual show in Montreal (I believe for a couple of years now). Stereophile has never had a show at CES, or in Las Vegas during CES.

The show held at the Venetian is the official CES High End venue (Before it was at the Alexis Park). The show at the Venetian is supposedly for Industry and Press only. During CES there is a Piggy Back show called T.H.E. Show (Stands for The High End Show), to increase traffic T.H.E. Show is open to the general public (on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) and has I believe Thursday reserved for Industry and Press only. This year I didn't make it over to THE Show, but I believe it was over at the Alexis Park.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #100 of 188
Thanks for straightening that out, man who knows it's raining B4 everyone else!
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #101 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the Stereophile show moved between NY and the West Coast many times. I've attended Stereophile Shows in NY, San Francisco, and LA. It is officially defunct, although Sterophile has now begun Co-Sponsoring the annual show in Montreal (I believe for a couple of years now). Stereophile has never had a show at CES, or in Las Vegas during CES.

The show held at the Venetian is the official CES High End venue (Before it was at the Alexis Park). The show at the Venetian is supposedly for Industry and Press only. During CES there is a Piggy Back show called T.H.E. Show (Stands for The High End Show), to increase traffic T.H.E. Show is open to the general public (on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) and has I believe Thursday reserved for Industry and Press only. This year I didn't make it over to THE Show, but I believe it was over at the Alexis Park.

No, it was at the Flamingo this year. A shame because I stayed at the hard rock which is across the street from Alexis Park, lol. Also, Alexis Park feels cozier than the Flamingo, but it's all good.

I don't recall seeing headphones at T.H.E. Show....been there 2 years in a row now and nothing. Did I miss it somewhere?

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #102 of 188
Maybe T.H.E. Show was at Alexis Park last year. I usually don't have time to head over to T.H.E. show. In any case my point was that Stereophile doesn't run a show in Las Vegas.

I'm amazed at the number of Glass half empty people who attended the meet. Instead of reveling in the opportunity to audition all of the great equipment that people had set up they instead obsess over the fact that it was under less than ideal circumstances.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #104 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe T.H.E. Show was at Alexis Park last year. I usually don't have time to head over to T.H.E. show. In any case my point was that Stereophile doesn't run a show in Las Vegas.

I'm amazed at the number of Glass half empty people who attended the meet. Instead of reveling in the opportunity to audition all of the great equipment that people had set up they instead obsess over the fact that it was under less than ideal circumstances.

My glass has been half empty for a couple years worth of meets. I usually spend more time reveling in the opportunity to audition all of the great people that set up equipment.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #105 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My glass has been half empty for a couple years worth of meets. I usually spend more time reveling in the opportunity to audition all of the great people that set up equipment.

I like this. Spoken like a true realist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back