Official NYC Regional Spring Meet 03/22/08 - Impressions
Mar 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #61 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for the impressions so far. Did anyone snap pics of the new Woo stand?

Looking back, I just realized I skipped over one image. This is the new Woo stand in silver.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #63 of 137
My advancement from the meeting:

Balanced Phones - first time hearing balanced setups, without a doubt, the way to go with dynamic phones. However nikongod's setup with the Supra toaster and Senn 414 (a 2000 ohm HP!) was very pleasing. cyx's balanced Supra and Senn 650's to die for. vcoheda had a wonderful RSA Apache and balanced 650's and 701's with different cabling(Equinox and Black Dragonson the 701's). Great comparisons. Will always go for balanced recabling with an adapter for now because balanced amps will be in the near future.

Kerry deserves Kudos for his initial try at a DIY stat amp. Great build quality and sound was fantastic with all of the stats I tried including O2's. Also deserves credit in the big book for handling turning his dining room table into a workshop for the project and living to show off the product of his labors.

Fang of Head Direct introduced his new Yuin IEM/earbud product which sounded very true in its reproduction. Not being totally sealing with his IEM design is a plus for my preference. Can't wait to audition these.

vpivinylspinner is a man after my passion for what else, vinyl. Also had his O2's and descriptions of his legendary vinyl collection. 2.5 times mine! I'm jealous.

My only regret - I didn't listen to nikongods K1000 setup. I'll have to check it out at the next meeting.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #65 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Are you talking about the giant one that belongs to Jeff? That was my favorite to build thus far. It's Macassar Ebony on top and bottom, with the Whitest Curly Maple I've ever seen as the pillars. Then each of the three headphone hangers has a different Maple inlay (Quilted, Birdseye & Curly).

Actually I was talking about this one (with the DT990s and Beyerheisers on it):
S2%20Audio%20racks.jpg

But the Three Level Stand was very nice too.
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #66 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so sad i missed it. Mostly for seeing friends and less about equipment. Family obligations took me on a boat ride around NYC :) Keep the photos coming.

sorry you couldn't make it. turn out was a bit smaller than usual and no ray samuels but still a very good time.

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #67 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Monkey, out of curiosity what camera did you have. D50, D70, D80?

D50.

I have to say, I think your pics are some of the best Meet Pictures I have ever seen.

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #68 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D50.

I have to say, I think your pics are some of the best Meet Pictures I have ever seen.

Thanks for the info, we have the same camera. Very cool.
Thank you so very much for the great compliment!!!

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #69 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fang was there with a few new IEM's and Ear buds. I was impressed by the IEM that he has developed. The RE2 was a little lite on the bass but it was not taking away from the music which is nice. The mids were really quite smooth and the highs were not harsh at all. This was something that I was looking for in an entry level IEM. Very impressive.

Agreed! When I popped those little IEMs in my ears at the meet, I knew they would be going home with me.........and they did. Your impressions, Towert7, are quite similar to mine with regards to the mids and high end, and in particular the smoothness of these little gems. There is absolutely no harshness at all. Where I disagree a bit is in the area of bass. After trying the different tips and getting a good seal (which is now rather easy for me, as I've been playing with these things all day), I find the bass to be excellent, nicely textured and quite deep. It doesn't overpower the music nor does it intrude into the midrange which I've found the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro to do on occasion. And, compared to any of the Etys I have (4P,4S, and 6i) it has a lot more low end oomph. In direct comparison to the Shure E5 which I brought to the meet as a reference, I found the RE2 to have a bit more "thump" and more of the "fun" factor that many seek. Also, most likely due to its open back design, it had a wider soundstage as well. Because of the design, it also doesn't isolate completely as other IEMs do.
Straight out of an iPod, the sound was all I could ask for. When I got home I tried a Hornet with it and the sound improved substantially......there was a greater clarity to all parts of the musical spectrum. But since I've become a minimalist when it comes to "on-the-go" listening, good sound straight from the iPod is what I'm looking for......and these deliver nicely.
As of yet, I can see no drawbacks to these, particularly when one factors in the extremely small size and weight, the utter ease of insertion, the wide soundstage, the ultra smooth sound, and the great comfort they provide......plus, getting them at the meet special price of $50 only adds to my satisfaction.
They're keepers......but then again, from my point of view, aren't they all?
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #70 of 137
Still Missing in Raptorvania!

Just Curious who's Raptor? What Tube Set?

I have to admit that Ray's Flight getting messed up killed the idea of the drive for me.

I did pack up the APPLE TV>TRIVISTA>RAPTOR rig for the trip but when I talked to Aaron and he told me that Ray wasn't able to get a flight it just deflated me.

Funny thing when I set the Rig back up today I found I was missing two things.

1) Optical Cable (sure someone would have had and extra)

2) THE APTV power cable (THAT may have been a challenge)

Would have served me right for all the talk about coming last meet and then bagging out. Imagine making the trip and forgetting stupid power cable.

This time I was gonna not a say a thing and just show up and then the bad luck about Ray.

I WILL MAKE A MEET YET!

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #71 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed! When I popped those little IEMs in my ears at the meet, I knew they would be going home with me.........and they did. Your impressions, Towert7, are quite similar to mine with regards to the mids and high end, and in particular the smoothness of these little gems. There is absolutely no harshness at all. Where I disagree a bit is in the area of bass. After trying the different tips and getting a good seal (which is now rather easy for me, as I've been playing with these things all day), I find the bass to be excellent, nicely textured and quite deep. It doesn't overpower the music nor does it intrude into the midrange which I've found the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro to do on occasion. And, compared to any of the Etys I have (4P,4S, and 6i) it has a lot more low end oomph. In direct comparison to the Shure E5 which I brought to the meet as a reference, I found the RE2 to have a bit more "thump" and more of the "fun" factor that many seek. Also, most likely due to its open back design, it had a wider soundstage as well. Because of the design, it also doesn't isolate completely as other IEMs do.
Straight out of an iPod, the sound was all I could ask for. When I got home I tried a Hornet with it and the sound improved substantially......there was a greater clarity to all parts of the musical spectrum. But since I've become a minimalist when it comes to "on-the-go" listening, good sound straight from the iPod is what I'm looking for......and these deliver nicely.
As of yet, I can see no drawbacks to these, particularly when one factors in the extremely small size and weight, the utter ease of insertion, the wide soundstage, the ultra smooth sound, and the great comfort they provide......plus, getting them at the meet special price of $50 only adds to my satisfaction.
They're keepers......but then again, from my point of view, aren't they all?
biggrin.gif

I agree. I guess what I was trying to say is that they don't have the bass of the HD650. But yea, the bass is there and it does not get in the way of the other music. I'm very happy with mine.
I haven't really tried other tips.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #72 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just Curious who's Raptor? What Tube Set?

there were two there, i believe. not sure of the tube complement. the one i listened to was with the R10 - very nice. so much good sound from such a compact system.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #73 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there were two there, i believe. not sure of the tube complement. the one i listened to was with the R10 - very nice. so much good sound from such a compact system.

Not many R10 / Raptor combos out there. Must be Mr Soloman's from which I gave not heard a peep in a long time.

Dave was that yours?

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #74 of 137
I got to the meet after 2:30pm so I was traveling light to the meet.
I brought one of my sons with me,He wanted to try out earphones for his
nano.
His choice was the PK2s,so I bought a pair for him as well as ordering a mini-box D for him as well(sorry for my wallet
tongue.gif
).
The PK2s have been in his ears since the meet.Thanks Fang.

Impressions are limited for me as I didn't listen much,but did Yak alot.

I tried to listen to the HE1.2bs out of the woo,but it was so loud in the room at the time,I gave up trying.I will have to listen to them at immitybikers house in a quite enviorment.

Nikongods toaster supra was sounding Very Good with his vintage RS1s with flats,didn't like them with bowls.

Balanced Supra with the 650s was also in the zone.
Macalister with the OIIs was a engageing setup as well

The Woo Wa5LE one of the popular amps as well one of the top amps at the meet.I have heard the Wa5 on a few occassions & it never fails to impress.

Of course can't forget the Brownies,from brownie lady very popular among the members.
Sorry I didn't make the Diner afterwoods,Had to get home my Daughter was in from California for the weekend.It was mandatory to attend Game night
as my daughter requested.(actually it was a lot of fun).

I had a good time at the meet as usual,How can you not Hanging with other Head-Fi buddies new & old.
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #75 of 137
Looks like another great NYC meet, really sad to have missed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to admit that Ray's Flight getting messed up killed the idea of the drive for me.

Why am I not surprised?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back