Official NYC Regional Spring Meet 03/22/08 - Impressions
Mar 23, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #46 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PS The pics are great...makes me feel like I'm still there.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and Towert7, all those pics really came out nice, looks like you have a very good camera

Thanks a bunch for the nice comments LDMES and Ice Max! My camera is a modest DSLR, but my lenses are what really give me the nice pictures.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #47 of 137
a few impressions.

dynamic. balanced HD650 with zu mobius cable via singlepower supra. this was a top notch system for the hd650 - the holographic imaging and sound overall was just amazing. w/ the 650 it beat out my apache (no question about it), but i always find high end tube amps to be better than solid state ones. the K701 didn't fair as well with the supra. must be more suited for high impedance headphones. maybe some adpaters and different tubes would improve things. not sure. but if my main headphone was the 650, a balanced supra would be toward the top of my list. too bad ray couldn't make it. would have been nice to compare to the B52. no GSX or Beta22 or Rudistor, so couldn't compare to my apache. an R10 with a raptor was there. the R10 has a huge soundstage and lots of detail. can't imagine a can better for classical (too bad about price though). the owner said he used them exclusively with rock, which i found a bit odd. not many high end phones - no HP1000, PS1, L3000, HE60, HE90 or even an Ed.9, DX1000 or W5000. there was a K1000. not for me, but there is always that one headphone which others love but you don't. another amp that really impressed was the WA5 LE with massive 300B tubes. all sounded good with it, even the GS1000 which in general seems only average (somewhat lacking mid range). a senn HD414 with zu cable through old school toaster SP amp was a big surprise. sounded really good (see pic below). compared 3 bal K701s, one with black dragon, one with an equinox, and the third with cardas. the first two sounded about the same, but both better than the last. compared bal 650 w/ zu to a bal pair with equinox. the latter was a little nicer (better focus and tighter bass). may look into getting an equinox for my 650.

electrostatic. the 1.2B and O2. heard the 1.2B through a Woo GES and the HE stat amp. the 1.2B is very good, possibly better than all my dynamics. the 1.2B looks much better than the 1.3, although sitting next to the O2, it seems in terms of looks and overall build quality not quite high end. the headphone needs 100+ hours to break in. there were two pairs there (one was mine) and it was pretty obvious which had the fewer hours. the 1.2B sounded better on the Woo (warmer, smoother, more liquid) than the He amp. the O2 is also amazing and exudes pure class. the sound is not dark/slow at all. through a McCalister and 17k MSB Platinum CD player, the music flowed effortlessly with gobs of detail and life. probably my favorite rig there. there was a home built stat amp (early Gilmore design). nice work. no HE60 or HE90 but some other stax models were present. they all sounded about the same to me - good but not great.

other. won through auction a pair of siltech cables with WBT nextgen RCA connectors. very good copper cables. discovered some new music - excellent jazz with great sound quality from the ECM label. Woo has new headphone stands out. solid build - heavy base and adjustable height. also, Woo is planning to offer the GES with a HE 1.2B jack and upgraded caps and resistors and maybe even balanced inputs. should be a killer stat amp. probably the next big item i purchase.

met and talked to a lot of head-fiers (all good people) and went to dinner afterwards. overall a fun time. thanks goes to Aaron for setting this thing up and to everyone who donated to the auction (head-direct, Woo, Nate, Yikes, others) and Aaron's wife for the cake and brownies. held me out until dinner.

a long day, but a good one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #48 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are these cans?

The yellow pad ones are Sennheiser 414s and the other ones are some sort of stax, I'm not sure which one exactly.

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #49 of 137
Lots of good impressions so far, appreciate the contributions so far. Keep 'em coming! Great pics too Towert, a little smaller than I'd like tho.
tongue.gif

Who's the owner of the Audio Research CDP w/ Supra XLR system?

And who owns this OII MKII?

2352832679_024f7a1b82.jpg

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #51 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^That's the He Audio eletrostat.

oops, my bad. I had the OII on the brain and failed to observe what was in the pic.
redface.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #54 of 137
Thanks a lot for sharing those beautiful pictures, and lots of impressions.
Really looks like you guys and girsl had a really nice time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

What are these cans?

Sennheiser 414 (left) and Stax Gamma Pro (right).

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #55 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked a lot of the exotic wood workings Warrior05 brought along from you swt61.

Thanks, it's always fun to see them in other parts of the country/world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW The two-tone headphone stand you had with the dark wood on top and bottom was SWEET!!! UH-OH I see his head inflating some more....sorry
tongue.gif

Thanks. Are you talking about the giant one that belongs to Jeff? That was my favorite to build thus far. It's Macassar Ebony on top and bottom, with the Whitest Curly Maple I've ever seen as the pillars. Then each of the three headphone hangers has a different Maple inlay (Quilted, Birdseye & Curly).

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now don't go getting my partner's head inflated and all! He'll be impossible to deal with!
eek.gif

Do not heed this man's warnings, he's trying to demote me to office boy.
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #56 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like the system has really come together with the 650s! If you get the Grados or K701s, get the slam adapters and use 5687 tubes in the output spots and they will sound great too. (as great as they can anyway, 650s rule
wink.gif
)

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #58 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for the impressions so far. Did anyone snap pics of the new Woo stand?

2352832847_e0312de7ec.jpg

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #59 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

What are these cans?

The yellow pad ones are Sennheiser 414s and the other ones are some sort of stax, I'm not sure which one exactly.

Yepp.
The 2000 ohm HD-414 with a zu cable, and the Stax Gama PRO.

the stock 414 cable is TERRIBLE, but the 580/650 cable fits and makes for SOLID improvements.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #60 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pics too Towert, a little smaller than I'd like tho.
tongue.gif

Thanks Asr! You must be on a 27-30" monitor?
Imagine the bandwith if I placed up 97 images at 1000xSomething pixles.

Either way, I have all the pictures at full size on my computer. If there was one that you really wanted to see bigger, just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back