Official NYC Regional Spring Meet 03/22/08 - Impressions
Mar 25, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #121 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
craved

enjoy

In case youse guys missed what Ari was pointing to, Steve Guttenberg wrote a blog about the NYC Meet in CNET:

High-end headphone mania hits New York | The Audiophiliac - A high-end audio blog from Steve Guttenberg - CNET Blogs

I wrote him about mis-labeling the Beyerheisers as Sennheiser HD880's.

I wish to thank everyone for attending and the kind words, critiques and pictures. These 2 meets (spring and fall) have become an annual tradition in these parts, and it seems that everyone always leaves these meets feeling like a kid again, whose only goal was to have a really good time.
The mood is always warm and the smiles on everyone's faces in the pictures show us that no matter how young or old you are, we can get together at ages 8 to 80 and have a whale of a good time.

I especially want to thank everyone for contributing (whether it was donating towards the room, or money spent on an auction item, or donation of an auction item). Special thanks should go out to Yikes, for without his starting of the agressive bidding wars and Siltech IC's, we would have not raised enough money for the room.

Along with Machead for generously bidding a ridiculous amount of money on the auction items, besides donating also.

Along with Nate (N_Maher), who, even though he couldn't be there, took his personal time to make a beautiful pair of IC's for the auction.

Along with Fang (Head-Direct) and Jack (Woo Audio) and Scott (Warrior05 of S2 Audio...including swt61) who donated wares from their company that helped bring in the cash.

Along with Vincent (The Monkey) and Jeff (vpivinylspinner) and Dave (davederek), who donated things from their own private stock.

Along with Displayman, who donated 4 CD's of unbelievable Latin Jazz (Argentinian, I think) that featured his wife, who wrote some or most of the songs and played wicked sax, that was recorded in top notch sound quality.

Along with my lovely wife, Telica (BrownieLady) for her brownies and chocolate cake which have become a staple at all of our meets (with the exception of last Fall, when she made chocolate covered pretzels). Laboring feverishly over the hot stove making these goodies for us, while I sat on my ass and listened to Cannonball Adderley in the cool bedroom the night before the meet
biggrin.gif

Sorry if I missed anyone.

We took in a total of $795. The room cost us $550, which leaves $245 to be donated to Head-Fi in the name of the NYC Meet attendees.

BTW- The tubes in the front row of my Woo GES were match pairs of Mullard and Valvo (Siemens) ECC83/12AX7 that were graciously sent to me to try from Mitch (Braillediver) that replaced the 12BZ7's that Jack originally upgraded me to, that improved the sound quality by a large margin. I sent Jack over to listen to the difference and got some cool "Woo-style raised eyebrows".
The back row are RCA 6S4A's.

Thanks again to everyone who attended or were a part of this meet.

Aaron and family.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #125 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but he plays one, on TV
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and one more thing, nothing annoys Steve more than being confused with the other Steve Guttenberg, the washed-up Police Academy actor. The wordsmith Guttenberg is a frequent contributor to a number of magazines and websites including Home Theater, Stereophile, Robb Report Home Entertainment, and he does audio reviews for CNET.com.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #126 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was cool that Jude posted a reply about CanJam.
biggrin.gif

Cool as an August day in Miami
tongue.gif
That was a bigger plug than the one on the president of The Hair Club For Men, head.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Guttenberg is a frequent contributor to a number of magazines and websites including Home Theater, Stereophile, Robb Report Home Entertainment, and he does audio reviews for CNET.com.

Home Theater no more!

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #127 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and one more thing, nothing annoys Steve more than being confused with the other Steve Guttenberg, the washed-up Police Academy actor. The wordsmith Guttenberg is a frequent contributor to a number of magazines and websites including Home Theater, Stereophile, Robb Report Home Entertainment, and he does audio reviews for CNET.com.

Steve probably is the only one who reports audio for main stream media (CNet is huge). CNet has much more readers than the total of Head-Fi and all other so called high-end A/V paper and online magzines.

Cheers ... Ping

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #128 of 137
What a great hobby. And meets bring together others afflicted with the same fascination. To the less fortunate rest of civilization we smile and say "have a listen". Which gets an odd or puzzled look, as if to say "How can this interest you?" I love it!

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #129 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSC_0020.JPG.jpg

What was the tube complement in the Singlepower MPX3 in this picture? I was amazed by how much life it imparted to the HD650, particularly with some excellent ECM jazz discs played on the MSB Platinum. The "Sennheiser veil" was ripped to shreds by this combination!

For me, this was the unexpected highlight of the meet. Oh, and Telica's brownies, of course -- but they weren't really unexpected.
wink.gif

machead,

The Sp MPX3-Slam had an Electroharmonix 6SN7 and a pair of Raytheon 5687WA's. Glad you enjoyed it.

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #130 of 137
The meet was wonderful and it is nice to spend time with a group of nice people who enjoy the same hobby. I really enjoyed myself and it looked like everyone was having fun. I am happy to be a memeber... Displayman

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #132 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulllaser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Sp MPX3-Slam had an Electroharmonix 6SN7 and a pair of Raytheon 5687WA's. Glad you enjoyed it.

Paulllaser, I enjoyed your rig very much, especially with the O2. The MSB also sounded great to me.

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #133 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody happen to pick up the SF novel that I was reading?
Title: Pandora's Star

No, but I think that I have your clipboard from the auction.

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #134 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paulllaser, I enjoyed your rig very much, especially with the O2. The MSB also sounded great to me.

Thanks very much! Looking foward to attending my second meet in Nov. Hope to have some new things by that time.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #135 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulllaser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much! Looking foward to attending my second meet in Nov. Hope to have some new things by that time.

seeing the quality of your gear, i am already looking forward to it
smily_headphones1.gif

hopefully i will have a working HE 1.2B by then as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back