Official NYC Regional Spring Meet 03/22/08 - Impressions
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #106 of 137
^^ that rig sounds kick ass (not).
biggrin.gif

you were there in spirit though. i saw a name tag for you. and a few people asked if the guy with 20K posts was going to show up.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #107 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to everyone for making my first meet so much fun. I had a chance to meet a lot of great people and I was like a kid in a candy store (very expensive one) looking and listening to all the great gear!

good to meet you kerry. hope to see more of your creations here at head-fi.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #108 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like y'all had fun! I was in Delaware doing the Easter thang, so believe me I bet you all heard rigs far sweeter than Dora the Explorer through Minivan speakers for 5 hours!

Geez, sad part is I KNOW what song you're talking about!
mad.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #109 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the stock Supra XLR starts at 3.5k if I'm not mistaken.

3.6K stock, but you know you will want/need at least a few upgrades, which will easily add on another 1k or more (and then there are the tubes to buy). in my mind the better comparison of a supra XLR is to the RSA B52. it's too bad Ray wasn't there. that would have made things more interesting. the Apache is certainly not the end all of amps, but in this hobby very little is. i would say though that for its compact size, versatility with headphones, and overall exceptional sound, the Apache offers a lot for its price.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #110 of 137
DSC_0020.JPG.jpg

What was the tube complement in the Singlepower MPX3 in this picture? I was amazed by how much life it imparted to the HD650, particularly with some excellent ECM jazz discs played on the MSB Platinum. The "Sennheiser veil" was ripped to shreds by this combination!

For me, this was the unexpected highlight of the meet. Oh, and Telica's brownies, of course -- but they weren't really unexpected.
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #111 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSC_0020.JPG.jpg

What was the tube complement in the Singlepower MPX3 in this picture? I was amazed by how much life it imparted to the HD650, particularly with some excellent ECM jazz discs played on the MSB Platinum. The "Sennheiser veil" was ripped to shreds by this combination!

For me, this was the unexpected highlight of the meet. Oh, and Telica's brownies, of course -- but they weren't really unexpected.
wink.gif

Some 6SN7 as driver and a pair of 5687 as output would be my guess. The so-called SLAM configuration.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #112 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some 6SN7 as driver and a pair of 5687 as output would be my guess. The so-called SLAM configuration.

Probably a Sylvania VT-231 with Tung Sol 5687 outputs.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #113 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSC_0020.JPG.jpg

wink.gif

machead.

it was nice talking to you about our much differing opinions on the O2 (i love it, he thinks it is only okay) and the new HE electrostatic headphones, which we are both owners of. i also want to extend a special thanks to him for wildly overpaying on some woo audio stands which helped pay for the room and also served as a donation to head-fi, the place that brings us all together.

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #115 of 137
Great job by Yikes at the Not-So-Silent Auction. He got some nice bidding wars going, and got some extra dough for the Room and hopefully Head-Fi. Plus, it was good clean fun.

DSC_0072.JPG.jpg

DSC_0073.JPG.jpg

DSC_0074.JPG.jpg

DSC_0075.JPG.jpg

DSC_0078.JPG.jpg

DSC_0082.JPG.jpg

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #116 of 137
Gah! So many photos! Looks like it was an excellent meet. Hope to get the Seattle crew that big some day.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics. Definitely takes time!

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #118 of 137
Man I keep coming back to this thread and there are more and more photos of more equipment that I didn't see before. You have to really pick and choose what to listen to when there is that much stuff.

Good job guys.

Cheers,
Michael

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #119 of 137
there was a decent amount of gear there. more at previous NY meets, but still enough to keep you busy. in my mind, the top 3 setups in no order were:

* Audionote Transport > DAC1 > Balanced Supra > HD650 w/ Bal Zu Mobius-2

* Denon CD Player > WA5 LE 300B Tube Amp > Any Headphone

* MSB Technology Platinum CD Player > McCalister Stat Amp > O2

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #120 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there was a decent amount of gear there. more at previous NY meets, but still enough to keep you busy. in my mind, the top 3 setups in no order were:

* Audionote Transport > DAC1 > Balanced Supra > HD650 w/ Bal Zu Mobius-2

* Denon CD Player > WA5 LE 300B Tube Amp > Any Headphone

* MSB Technology Platinum CD Player > McCalister Stat Amp > O2

Has anyone tried the HD-650 single-end out of the balanced Supra?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back