Official Los Angeles Regional Summer Meet - Saturday, July 20, 2013 Warner Center Marriott, Woodland Hills
Jul 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #361 of 665
Quote:
beyerdynamic USA is generously sending a demo T90 for use at the meet. I'm looking forward to hear how they compare with my other beyers
beyersmile.png

Great news Donald! I'm looking forward to hearing those.

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #364 of 665
Quote:
I want to go to this but I am a total NOOB and a bit intimidated!!!   LOL

Just go... I was a bit intimidated as well..this is my first meet, until I met some of these guys in person! Gear and music aside, great people is what I found... you won't feel out of place as everyone seems very welcoming in this community.

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #365 of 665
Quote:

You won't be the only one feeling that way. 

We can start a group for people that are coming alone. If we get enough, maybe we'll be the intimidating ones 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was anxious at "The Show" in Newport for the same reason. It wasn't half as bad as I had imagined.
Once you sit down and listen to the first setup, you lose all that nervousness and get excited about all the amazing equipment you can try.

That and you'll just find yourself chatting it up with the people at their equipment and forget what you were worried about in the first place.

I'll be flying solo again it seems for this meet, so I'll still have some anxiousness to overcome with sweeeeeet music. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #366 of 665
Quote:

Well, I just added your name to the attendee list. So you're stuck with us now
wink_face.gif

Seriously, all of us were noobs at some point and there is no better opportunity than large meets like this to listen and experience so many different types of equipment.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #368 of 665
Quote:

I remember the first meet I was gonna go to...I got kinda scared and ducked out at the last second.  Then I went to CanJam in LA (probably the biggest HF meet) and had a blast.  Tons of stuff to audition and everybody is nice.  If you are in the market for something new, going to a meet is the best decision you can make.  Reading reviews can be somewhat helpful, but going to 1 meet will make you learn more than reading posts for 6 months.  You'll establish a point of reference and get a better idea of which posters your hearing aligns with.  Again, everybody is really nice.  You'll be glad you came. :)

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #369 of 665
Quote:

Seriously, all of us were noobs at some point and there is no better opportunity than large meets like this to listen and experience so many different types of equipment.

Conversely, if you'd like to remain ignorant of the headphone options out there and wish to save yourself the money said knowledge might cost you, then avoiding a meet could be a consideration.  All it takes is one meet to fall into the trap, and this will be by 4th...

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #371 of 665
Quote:
I remember the first meet I was gonna go to...I got kinda scared and ducked out at the last second.  Then I went to CanJam in LA (probably the biggest HF meet) and had a blast.  Tons of stuff to audition and everybody is nice.  If you are in the market for something new, going to a meet is the best decision you can make.  Reading reviews can be somewhat helpful, but going to 1 meet will make you learn more than reading posts for 6 months.  You'll establish a point of reference and get a better idea of which posters your hearing aligns with.  Again, everybody is really nice.  You'll be glad you came. :)

Yeah, My thing is high end gear isn't in my budget... I was out of work for over 3.5 years and just now starting work again with a ton of debt on my head.

So I'm going low budget.  Also I am still trying to learn and understand all that's out there and how to make what I have sound good and basically work with what I have.   I feel I have a good sense of sound but not sure how it compares to someone elses, so what I think sounds good maybe total crap to the rest of the forum.

I have a limited collection of gear and a few IEMs and headphones I got years ago that would probably get laughed at here...LOL

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #372 of 665
There will be gear of all price levels there.  Many people purposely avoid the expensive setups for the very reason you mentioned.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #373 of 665
A update to my rig. I sold my sennheiser hd 700 and got myself audeze lcd 2 r1. Also I have a Alo Continental V1 now. The hd 700 was not cutting it for me, other then the comfort it was average. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #375 of 665
Quote:
I'll be driving up from San Diego.  I have one undecided friend.

Let me guess... your friend is undecided because he thinks it'll make him seem like a nerd among his other friends? 
tongue.gif

Not trying to say everyone here are nerds, but I'm just saying what he might be thinking. 

That said, to both your friend, and everybody else who are anxious, this will be my first meet, too, but I'm going with the perspective that this is just an excellent chance to actually try out a bunch of different headphones. Which, as another person mentioned, is much better than reading reviews of headphones on text. I imagine it to be, to me at least, an amazing time and money saver, since I get to actually hear what the headphones will sound like, and will greatly reduce the risk of purchasing the wrong headphones, and thereby going through the whole sell-buy cycle again. 

I hope this will help calm some people's nerves a bit. I look forward to the meet! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back