official iriver imp-550 thread
Jun 13, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #32 of 223
the result of my first audio-cd test with imp-400 is rather frustrating:: 3h:52min

I'm doing a second test now, because I used an audio-cdR instead of a factory-made cd. To my surprise, the 400 now makes much less mechanical noise when playing a factory made cd.

Secondly I activated the sort to physical address function and charged the batteries again to make sure they are fully charged.

I'll give you my results in a few hours. I got that feeling, that the 550 is a big step forward!

Jun 13, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #33 of 223
Hi all, just flash the v1.02j firmware and now i can enable the Etiquette function... the v1.00j version can't enable this function and from the iriver site, the original firmware version is v1.01, i'm a bit confuse about this... maybe v1.00 is pre-released version??????
confused.gif

anyway, the v1.02j firmware improves radio perception... i think... 'cos i can't read and understand all the japanese descriptions....
biggrin.gif

BTW, headache, i'm using the audio-CDR as well in the whole test and i didn't switch to physical address as well.... i'm really impressed with the battery life to be frank... that's a bit out of my prediction...
wink.gif

I've also try the lyrics display ability and found that at max 8 characters (chinese
tongue.gif
) at a time didn't really useful anyhow...
mad.gif
and the process to add lyrics rather time consuming....

Jun 13, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #35 of 223
hi, i can't hear any HISS from the 550 using all my headphones... but i can't assure u about that 'cos i just try all the headphones that i owned...

Here are the headphone i tried, all with no HISS:
PortaPro, KSC-55, UR-20, UR-30 and the original Sennheiser MX300

Lowest impendance is UR-20 which is 32 Ohms and no HISS...

About the antishock, i've no idea whether it's compressed or uncompressed... maybe others can help...

About the DAC, i think Strange Rituals has mentioned it's from Philips compared to Cirrus Logic which used in 400....

Hope this helps.

Jun 13, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #36 of 223
to [so]hai®:

all imp* I had (400 as well), make a popping noise every 5 seconds when playing audio-cds. Its like a mechanical sound of the laser or the motor that drives the CD. I can also feel it when lay my hands on the unit.

It sounds like: tzzzztzzzzzztzzzzz "pop" tzzzzzzzztzzzzztzzz "pop" tzzzz ... and so on.

Needless to say that this very powerconsuming. Do you hear such noise too?

Jun 13, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #37 of 223
headache, izzit the noise from the unit but not the noise in the headphone? If it's the noise of the unit, then yes.... I've timed the interval and mine is about every 40sec... i think this is the effect of larger buffer....

Jun 13, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #38 of 223
good to see you two working hard at this
smily_headphones1.gif

i must say, the more i think about it, the more i want to return my 400... almost $200 for "just" a cd player. granted, its the top of the line. and the reason it's so expensive is because there are no competitors out there... i like the idea of an ihp-200 more and more hehe.

keep up the good comparisons.

to so hai: so is the lyrics option available on the 400 also? i remember seeing something about it but never looked into it...im guessing all iriver models support it, but i STILL can't get into iriver's international site... thats pretty cool if it works well--portable karaoke machine
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #39 of 223
Quote:

Originally posted by [so]hai®
headache, izzit the noise from the unit but not the noise in the headphone? If it's the noise of the unit, then yes.... I've timed the interval and mine is about every 40sec... i think this is the effect of larger buffer....

abolutely no noise from the headphone-out! its just a mechanical noise without any effect on soundquality.

I think of returning the 400 and getting a silver 550 instead.

Jun 13, 2003 at 1:48 PM Post #42 of 223
Quote:

Originally posted by deejayshakur
haha, looks like the 550 does have its pros.

i'll join you headache, returning the 400 that is. i love the iriver interface though, really snappy.

the onlineshop where I bought my red 400 hasn't got the silver version of 550. Does anyone, where I can order the silver 550?

Jun 13, 2003 at 2:36 PM Post #43 of 223
hi headache, AFAIK, the silver one is unavailable until july... i'm not sure y but all the online shop only carry black version.....
frown.gif

Hi deejayshakur, yes, the lyrics function is available in all models... however, it only useful for slow songs...
tongue.gif

i think 3 of u, headache, Merton and deejayshakur can compare the 350/400 with the 550 when u all got the 550... pls post some results here...

BTW, i edit the total playtime... it's actually 9 hours... not 11 hours as i mentioned... i think i must practice my maths a lot more....
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #44 of 223
Quote:

Originally posted by [so]hai®
hi headache, AFAIK, the silver one is unavailable until july... i'm not sure y but all the online shop only carry black version.....
frown.gif

BTW, i edit the total playtime... it's actually 9 hours... not 11 hours as i mentioned... i think i must practice my maths a lot more....
biggrin.gif

well, I think I will wait until july for the silver 550-baby. I also don't like maths, but I know that 9 hours are a much more than 3h:50
mad.gif
Thats simply not acceptable for a 200,- EUR CD-player.

Jun 13, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #45 of 223
well like i said before, i will probably get the ihp-200 instead, as i figure if im spending a few hundred dollars, i might as well go all out. plus, the 700mb of songs really isn't enough and changing CDs is kind of a hassle... plus i can't queue up songs :\

we'll see, but until then, i'll keep using my 400. who knows, maybe i'll keep it hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back