Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #1,261 of 3,817
Good job on the review, very in-depth and conclusive. Can't help though but be bummed out by all the faults you found, especially the speed and bass. Of course it's all subjective, but still, when I think of buying a 3000$ pair of headphones I dislike reading reviews that do not praise. Although after reading your opinion on other flagships, and your conclusion, it evens it out a bit. What baffles me the most is the "HE1000 versus STAX SRS-2170" part. I'd expect the HE1000 to be better at almost everything, but the case is the opposite. Again, I know it's subjective, and that for me it might sound different, still I find it odd considering the price difference.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #1,262 of 3,817
Your review is extremely thorough, detailed, well organized, and written at a high level, yet it's still readable and it flows very well.  It's better, by a significant margin, than many "professional" reviews, and conveys considerably more information without resorting to annoying, bombastic fluff.  

However, your perceptions seemed to show little (but certainly not zero) overlap with mine.  I couldn't quite figure out why until I read the sentence quoted above, which probably explains it.

Along the lines of a reference (or studio?) monitor headphone, I've read that the (closed back) Stax 4070 is such a headphone.  I've never heard it myself.  I'd be interested in what you thought about the 4070, if you've heard it.

Thank you for the kind words! That means a lot to me and I appreciate the comments.

Yeah I wasn't quite sure whether to put that near the beginning or near the end of the review. I was hoping the HE1000 would be a less coloured headphone as it is, but I don't mind the effect for listening to music in general.

As for the 4070, no I haven't heard it before (or seen one in-person). I just took a quick look at eBay for one and holy moly they're around $3500. It looks like it's hard to find too since the usual Japanese sources don't have them (PriceJapan, Yahoo Auctions, Rakuten, nor Fujiya Avic I think).

Great review @miceblue
! I liked how thorough you were with each section of the review, and how you made very clear where you were coming from (your previous experiences with other headphones, what music you used, etc.) .

I'm going to have to agree with @saidentary
here - I'm not sure if your perception of the sound matches much with my perceptions of the sound. I'm going to chalk that down to 1) you're looking more for a reference monitor sound than a more colored sound and 2) your experiences with other headphones don't really match my experiences with those same headphones.

Thanks! I knew from the start that a lot of people would likely disagree with what I'm looking for, and how I hear other headphones, so that's why I put the disclaimers as the first thing in the sound section and again in the conclusion. XD

Interesting review. I will say that I do not hear a grainy high frequency nor a disjointed imaging with mine. I get layering, depth and I can tell where the sound is coming from. Also, I get a lot of, when well recorded, out of head sound. Maybe it is the amp or amps that I have but I do listen to live music as well, and from that I keep my ears tuned to sound, including the sounds I hear in nature. Anyway, you went to a lot of work and I can tell you thought about what your wrote. 

I think the disjointed imaging effect kind of confused me when I first heard the HE1000; I heard images being pretty wide to the left/right. Later when I listened to the HE1000, I was focusing on hearing images from the center. Listening to the headphones for a longer period of time, I mostly hear images from left/right/center and not much in-between. At least that's how I'm hearing the imaging and why I mentioned that the images seem to be coming from the sides of the soundstage.

I feel the large soundstage of the HE1000 comes from having such a large driver and the large earcups engulfing the entirety of your ear - thus fully using the spatial cues from physical ear effects. Since your binaural recordings already have the effect of your own ear on the sound already recorded, playing them back in this way sort of 'doubles up' the soundstage so to speak. The effect of your physical ears are accounted twice, once on recording and then again on playback.

I'm not sure how much the SR-207 encloses your ears and uses them, but that could account for both less soundstage and more accurate binaural playback. By that theory having some reference IEMs could make your binaural recordings more realistic as well.

I'm not sure much can be taken out of the impulse response as it's very complex to interpret without a lot of complex math. In other words you can't really analyze it by just looking at it. To illustrate this point read the top comment on this thread. It basically shows a horrible impulse response and the resulting frequency response from it is benign.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2les0b/reading_impulse_response_how_to_get_the_most_out/

Ah, the large drivers might contribute to the large soundstage. I haven't measured the two actually, but the SR-207's drivers are tall, and I find its soundstage to sound tall too. Both headphones' earcups have adequate wiggle room around my ears though. Literally the entire oval cut-out of the STAX Lambda-series earpads is where the driver is. I'm not entirely sure where the boundaries are for the HE1000's drivers with respect to where the earpads are.

Are you suggesting that all binaural audio tracks recorded with a dummy head have the "double up" effect? After all, binaural recordings are meant to work with headphones, not speakers, typically (I know Chesky Records has the Binaural Plus technology).

True about the impulse response. I think Innerfidelity was considering making waterfall plots from the impulse response, but that would take some time. *pun intended*
That's an interesting resource regarding the impulse response interpretation! I'll have to look more into that when I get the time. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good job on the review, very in-depth and conclusive. Can't help though but be bummed out by all the faults you found, especially the speed and bass. Of course it's all subjective, but still, when I think of buying a 3000$ pair of headphones I dislike reading reviews that do not praise. Although after reading your opinion on other flagships, and your conclusion, it evens it out a bit. What baffles me the most is the "HE1000 versus STAX SRS-2170" part. I'd expect the HE1000 to be better at almost everything, but the case is the opposite. Again, I know it's subjective, and that for me it might sound different, still I find it odd considering the price difference.

I was surprised myself too when comparing the two headphones next to each other. I think most people would probably pick the HE1000 over the SR-207 due to the warmer and more forgiving sound signature and large soundstage. On the other hand, I have yet to see someone come disappointed with the SRS-2170's sound based on what people have said from local meets.

I guess that's part of why this hobby is pretty fun to be involved with! There's just so many opinions and options out there for preferences, and you can mix and match components here and there to get a sound that works for you.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,264 of 3,817
Wow, the War And Peace of reviews...very well written, though, I actually read the whole thing (cheated a bit on the measurements), and I would usually skim and cut to the wrap up. Great job, though I don't hear the imaging the way you do. Think it is really well distributed through the soundstage, but sharpness of images is soft. As you are wont to say, I don't think this is a bad thing...went to hear Elvis Costello and Steely Dan last night, I generally can't hear and sharply distinguish what the trombone or rhythm guitar is doing every minute at a concert, think that is an artifact (a pleasant on, mind you) of recordings played back on high end gear.
(I had a set of in ear microphones many moons ago...Tried recording concerts with them, couldn't do it. I tend to bop, even dance, at concerts. For me it came down to enjoying and being in the moment, versus documenting it, and I gave it up quickly. Have good friends who were tapers, though, fun to listen to the shows they record.)

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,265 of 3,817
All righty, here are my formal impressions of the HIFIMAN HE1000 beta unit (I was in the second batch of the beta unit shipments).

That matches pretty well with my opinion of the HEKs.  After spending some time with them at a couple of meets I decided I preferred my Lambda normal bias.

Although it's heresy around here, I'd say that the main advantage of the HEK is that it gets you fairly close to the sound of a 'stat without needing a special amp.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,266 of 3,817
I am listening to Willie Nelson on my well worn digital copy of Stardust. Well placed instruments, clean well done and natural bass. I get imaging of some instruments that are well placed back in the soundscape and spacial cues are right on. I have some recordings that do pan hard right and left, but the recording is that way. I have found that the HE1000 pretty much put out what they are fed. 

I am using the micro Zotl, the Mojo Audio V power supply, Whiplash TWau modular cable to the headphones with the Hugo feeding the DoP via my own hyper pure silver IC and a Whiplash USB cable from my Macbook Pro, with Audirvan Plus (strange name). Oh in the micro Zotl I am using some round plate VT99 tubes. The 1/4 plug is a nice Furutech. And there you go. Works fantastic for me. The best sound I have heard on a consistent basis. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,267 of 3,817
I just got the Abyss -> HE-1000 adapters for the DHC Spore 4 silver cable. The very first thing I notice is that the music is much louder than with the stock cable. I had to turn down the volume on my ALO Studio Six about 2-3 clicks. The impact on all the frequencies is palpable.

I have been listening to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. The difference is significant. Where the stock cable was sedate, with the DHC cable the music becomes eerily holographic. When listening to Giorgio by Moroder with closed eyes, you feel like you are sitting with Giorgio in the cafe
atsmile.gif
. Damn, that song sounds sooo good!

The DHC Spore 4 Silver cable has taken the HE-1000 up a couple of notches.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,268 of 3,817
  I just got the Abyss -> HE-1000 adapters for the DHC Spore 4 silver cable. The very first thing I notice is that the music is much louder than with the stock cable. I had to turn down the volume on my ALO Studio Six about 2-3 clicks. The impact on all the frequencies is palpable.

I have been listening to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. The difference is significant. Where the stock cable was sedate, with the DHC cable the music becomes eerily holographic. When listening to Giorgio by Moroder with closed eyes, you feel like you are sitting with Giorgio in the cafe
atsmile.gif
. Damn, that song sounds sooo good!

The DHC Spore 4 Silver cable has taken the HE-1000 up a couple of notches.

Interesting. I noticed the same with the Whiplash TWau. The loudness could be more dynamics, blacker background. I know that as you mention, I have a more 3D type of listening experience. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,270 of 3,817
I was surprised myself too when comparing the two headphones next to each other. I think most people would probably pick the HE1000 over the SR-207 due to the warmer and more forgiving sound signature and large soundstage. On the other hand, I have yet to see someone come disappointed with the SRS-2170's sound based on what people have said from local meets.

I guess that's part of why this hobby is pretty fun to be involved with! There's just so many opinions and options out there for preferences, and you can mix and match components here and there to get a sound that works for you.

Thank you very much for one of the most interesting review i had ever read.... You not only explained your taste and the reason why,your history, your exigence and goal, you give to the reader the necessary information for a better understanding of his own point of view versus your own...your point of view is not argument for a battle of opinions but an history of life research in sound.... The question is not, to be okay or not okay, with your review but to think beyond preference toward the essence of what we are hearing ....you made me think...thanks very much...

By the way i am curious to know if you heard the lambda nova basic versus sr 207 and what is your impression...
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #1,271 of 3,817
Just listened to the album "Romantic Cello" (Yo Yo Ma et al) - wow!!

The sub-base of the HEK conveys the music beautifully.
No Stax could bring out the weight of the music in the way I experienced it.

Sub-bass? I don't think the cello by itself often reaches sub-bass levels. The Yo-Yo Ma albums I have only have fundamental frequencies above 70 Hz like so:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

I think the warmth of the HE1000 brings those notes to sound nice and full yeah. I can use the +2 dB bass EQ to get a similar feeling with the SR-207 as I do with the HE1000.

I just did a quick overlay of the HE1000 over the SR-207's frequency response from Innerfidelity, matched at 1 kHz.

^ Light grey/light blue and red are the SR-207's response; more solid curves are the pre-production HE1000's response

Thank you very much for one of the most interesting review i had ever read.... You not only explained your taste and the reason why,your history, your exigence and goal, you give to the reader the necessary information for a better understanding of his own point of view versus your own...your point of view is not argument for a battle of opinions but an history of life research in sound.... The question is not, to be okay or not okay, with your review but to think beyond preference toward the essence of what we are hearing ....you made me think...thanks very much...

By the way i am curious to know if you heard the lambda nova basic versus sr 207 and what is your impression...:smile:  

Thank you for the kind words. Part of this hobby has inspired me to think beyond just listening to music, so I'm glad to hear you got a bit of that feeling too when reading through the review.

I haven't heard any of the "Nova" earspeakers unfortunately, so I can't say how the SR-207 would compare.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,272 of 3,817
  I'd be glad to read a comparison to the ether if you ever have the chance :)

And also with the Kennerton ODIN...     May be the most direct competitor to the HE1000 

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,273 of 3,817
I've had my HE-1000 for almost two weeks now and have enough of a feel for them to put down some thoughts. I also have the HE-560, had the HE-500 for a few years, and borrowed a stock HE-6 for a while.

I feel the HE-1000 are HE-560s on steroids. Very similar type of sound but just does everything better. Switching from the HE-1000 to the HE-560, the sound is immediately compressed, less soundstage and less separation between layers. I also felt the HE-560 are a pretty good value given how much less they cost, but overall the HE-1000 is quite noticeably better in every way.

Compared to the HE-6 though, it's very different. In similar ways that I thought HE-500 and HE-560 were different. Both the HE-500 and HE-6 have more impact and attack than either of the newer 560 & 1000 as many mentioned. I do find that other than attack/impact the HE-1000 does everything else better than the HE-6. After careful volume matching, switching from the HE-1000 to the HE-6, the soundstage is smaller, the sound is less transparent and layers are more compressed. The sub bass is also sorely missing.  If I bump the HE-1000 volume up over the HE-6 by 1-2db, it covers up the slight impact difference between the two headphones and while still a different presentation, I prefer the HE-1000 overall to the HE-6. I also did find the more aggressive treble on the HE-6 to be a bit fatiguing after a while, despite finding it to make the sound alive and dynamic. I thought detail and resolution were similar for both, but due to the better soundstage and imaging layers were better distinguishable on the HE-1000. Again this is with a stock HE-6. 

Overall, add the comfort advantages and I feel the HE-100 is an overall upgrade to the HE-6 although at a great cost difference.

I also compared the HE-1000 to the SR-009 at the SF Head-Fi meetup at the HeadAmp table. Both very different presentations but overall sound quality seemed on par for both. In fact it was what got me to order and try the HE-1000 so I could spend more time with it at home. I was very impressed. My summary so far is for the music I listen to, mostly electronic of all types the HE-1000 fits what I'm looking for over all the TOTL headphones I've tried

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,274 of 3,817

Very good read. I think you well noted the differences with HE-560s and stock HE-6s, this without knowing the amp used. Fortunately or unfortunately the HE-6s are very moddable and will scale another level or two, especially with good amplification. That's where things stop adding up for the HE1000s. Just imho.

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,275 of 3,817

Very good read. I think you well noted the differences with HE-560s and stock HE-6s, this without knowing the amp used. Fortunately or unfortunately the HE-6s are very moddable and will scale another level or two, especially with good amplification. That's where things stop adding up for the HE1000s. Just imho.

Speaker amps were used for both so the HE-6 had good power.

I would definitely like to try a modded HE-6 instead of stock. The areas I thought the HE-6 were most behind were bass extension (sub bass), soundstage and imaging.  It was very noticeable when listening on the HE-1000 first then switching immediately to the HE-6. Those are really large strengths for the HE-1000. I've never felt more wrapped up in a 3d soundscape than with these headphones, and it'd be hard to give that up now that I'm accustomed to it. I'll have to find someone with a modded HE-6 next time and do some comparisons.

Someone who has a modded HE-6 and loves the sound and doesn't mind the weight and ergonomics probably wouldn't have a reason to switch to the HE-1000, but I do feel the HE-1000, while expensive is very compelling standing on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back