Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,201 of 3,817
Listening to some jazz, New "freebop", Devin Gray's Relative Resonance (fine album if you're into the freer side of things), connected straight into my Pono via Norne Zoetic and a Pono balanced adapter. Man, it sounds crazy good! Not sure I need to bother with Pono line out into other "better" amps, this is killer!!!

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #1,202 of 3,817
Listening to some jazz, New "freebop", Devin Gray's Relative Resonance (fine album if you're into the freer side of things), connected straight into my Pono via Norne Zoetic and a Pono balanced adapter. Man, it sounds crazy good! Not sure I need to bother with Pono line out into other "better" amps, this is killer!!!

the ray samuels or the ZOTL? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,203 of 3,817
Either, the balanced Pono is amazing! You get flack for posting about some things, the Pono is one, many haters out there. But I haven't done the audiophile head to head geeky thing yet (probably have to at some point, the ZOTL is on my backlogged list of gear to review), and I'm sure I'll find the tubed ZOTL and the powerhouse HR-2 do some things better than the Pono, but, strictly in terms of having a nice listening session, digging the sound, the balanced Pono is just doing it for me right now. I think it's freaking amazing! Think it's one of the audio bargains out there!
(I should mention that the cables cost more than the Pono).

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #1,204 of 3,817
I've been listening to some tunes in ALAC (E.S.T, and Nik Bartsch's Ronin) on my Macbook pro with the He-500 paired with a lowly Geek Out 1000 and fortified with Audirvana plus, and I'm already feeling that any bank robbery for the sake of getting the He 1000 can wait indefinitely, or even go to hell for all I care... This feeling is, of course, temporary, but God is it sweeeeeeet!

I love the cans I already have....  I wouldn't want to sell my He-500s for anything in the world...  I just wish the "upgraditis virus" would calm down for a bit, or even take a hike, once and for all...  But that would also mean I have to stop reading these reviews which tell me how great the He-1000 sounds, or how oh sooooo much better than my He-500s it really is, but I guess that can't be helped....

All I'm saying is "Audiophilia nervosa" is a b****, that is, if that is what this self-torture really is,

PS : I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade...  The he-1000 does sound like a magnificent unit from everything I have read, but a damn expensive one at that...

I wish Hifiman would occasionally have one of those periodic Polk Audio-like Friends and Family sales during which everything is sold at half-price to a limited number of invitees.  Noww won't that be swell?

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,205 of 3,817
Jul 26, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #1,206 of 3,817
Tbh, I got in to the beta on the HEK, was very lucky, can't divulge pricing, but it was a deal I couldn't refuse. Sure I wouldn't have gotten it at list price in a million years (though, if you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said the same thing about the HE-560 at near $1k, and that was my fave until I got the HEK. Guess that's what they call "falling into the Abyss" :smiley: )

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,207 of 3,817
  I've been listening to.......... the He-500 paired with a lowly Geek Out 1000 and fortified with Audirvana plus, and I'm already feeling that any bank robbery for the sake of getting the He 1000 can wait indefinitely, or even go to hell for all I care... This feeling is, of course, temporary, but God is it sweeeeeeet!

I love the cans I already have....  I wouldn't want to sell my He-500s for anything in the world... 

PS : I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade...  The he-1000 does sound like a magnificent unit from everything I have read, but a damn expensive one at that...

I wish Hifiman would occasionally have one of those periodic Polk Audio-like Friends and Family sales during which everything is sold at half-price to a limited number of invitees.  Noww won't that be swell?

This is actually quite encouraging to hear.  I have found that a certain threshold of satisfaction, once met, can last a long time.  Your own post demonstrates that you're already "there" AND it may last longer than you think.  I'm guessing you're MUCH younger than I am (which is 52), and if that's the case, remember that you'll have PLENTY of time to upgrade later. 

I have absolutely no proof (or even any robust evidence) for what I'm about to suggest, but here's what I believe, based on my own experience:  Assuming you're young, your level of auditory/audiophile discernment will improve/increase over time.  Your hearing may actually deteriorate slightly BUT your "ear-brain" processing will nevertheless improve based on listening experience and refinement of your tastes.  You'll be able to pick apart and find weaknesses in things you previously thought sounded great.  You'll become increasingly "spoiled" by the excellence of the sound you listen to routinely.  The progression will occur in steps, and hopefully your income and finances will improve as you ascend in your occupation.  

This stepwise progression is an important concept.  A good scenario would be that you enjoy whatever system you have and listen to it over time, becoming thoroughly familiar with its strengths and weaknesses.  Gradually you'll feel like maybe it's time to move "up," but not until you've had sufficient time to enjoy and appreciate what you currently own.  In my opinion, the most credible driver for any upgrade would be PERSONAL LISTENING, even if doing so consumes some of your financial resources.  At this point, you'll be in a better position to decide whether you want to upgrade.  Then if you do upgrade, you'll also be in a better position to more fully appreciate this new level of sonic quality. 

The point is that an incremental journey may be more rewarding in the long run while also allowing you to have more fun along the way. 

You may also find a plausible end point at which you're truly satisfied, even blissful, and really not interested in pursuing any more upgrades, because what you have is (something you personally perceive as being) SO good that it's of marginal value to keep chasing something you already have.  Yes, there may be better, but at this point what you have is SO good that you really don't care that much.  Also, at this point you're well into the "diminishing returns" part of the upgrade spectrum, and significant improvements will be double or more the price of your current system, which is already quite expensive.

For what it's worth.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #1,208 of 3,817
  I do not think you're sounding "preachy" at all.  What you're saying is something I need to hear now, even if I've heard it many times before, on these very boards.  I know about the benefits of auditioning gear before making purchases: the problem is that I do not live in an area which offers such opportunities in close proximity...  And while I have read quite a bit about "meets" and "CanJams," I have never had the opportunity to attend any (I tend to see them as an added expense I cannot afford), although if I hear of one occurring nearby (say in Boston), I might give it a shot. Thanks.

Instead of spending $3000+ on a pair of headphones, you could do much better by getting a pair of speakers like the KEF LS50 + sub + a good used amp. You also great active speakers under $2000 if you don't want to have a bunch of cables. Speakers will always beat headphones in terms of soundstage and bass impact, if not always in resolution.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,209 of 3,817
  I was also set on buying the He-560, which I have not even heard, but I had decided on the strength of the reviews alone... I've been biding my time for almost a year now, waiting for the right moment to pull the trigger... And then the he-1000 happened!  Now reading these rave reviews and impressions of the He-1000 has totally slaughtered my interest in the He-560, to the point where my trigger finger has gone completely comatose on it, even though, and once again, I have heard neither of these two cans personally ...  What I know for sure is that if I were to get the He-560 now, not a day would pass without me thinking about the He-1000, and wondering "what might have been."  And that, simply, is not a great way to enjoy cans one has newly bought, so why even bother...  Hell, I recently had a couple of great chances to buy a Beyerdynamic T1 at incredibly discounted prices, and I passed on both for the same reasons (i.e. they're just not the He-1000).

Now here's the other part of this little sad drama... The he 1000 is way over my head, budget-wise, so out of my league that I would have to spend another year or so saving up before I can get it, even if I decide to buy it used...  So my loss of interest in the He-560 has left me in a sort of limbo...  I am not necessarily without cans -- I have got some so-called "mid-fi" cans: the Hifiman He-500, and a ton of Sennheisers, including the hd700 and the hd600 in my stable, and while they do a fine job when needed, I have worked up so much enthusiasm in past year about getting new summit-fi cans this Summer, that going back to them empty-handed (without something new) feels rather disappointing and anticlimactic.  

In short, reading about the He-1000 has left me in a sour state of mind, although it normally shouldn't ...  I'm just venting for now, I'm sure this moment will pass... In the meantime, I wish I could heed the wisdom in the old saying : "be content with what you've got."  Unfortunately, I just can't... so that is where things stand for now...

I believe Hifiman is going to have a headphone that pricewise sites between the HE-1000 and HE-560. A successor and a replacement to the mighty HE-6. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,210 of 3,817
  I believe Hifiman is going to have a headphone that pricewise sites between the HE-1000 and HE-560. A successor and a replacement to the mighty HE-6. 

almost certain that Hifiman will eventually release a product in that sits in between the price range of the HE-100 and HE-560. I am also quite certain that there will be he-6 owners who still prefer their he-6 over the newer model.

the thing is that newer or more expensive models does not always mean that the headphones fit your tastes better. so be careful just judging headphones based on price point and release date. cheers

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #1,211 of 3,817
  almost certain that Hifiman will eventually release a product in that sits in between the price range of the HE-100 and HE-560. I am also quite certain that there will be he-6 owners who still prefer their he-6 over the newer model.

the thing is that newer or more expensive models does not always mean that the headphones fit your tastes better. so be careful just judging headphones based on price point and release date. cheers

Who is judging based on price point and release date?

I just told him that a new model from Hifiman is in progress, that will replacement the HE-6, and that it will cost more when the HE-560 but less when the HE-1000. I have not said anything about the SQ.

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #1,212 of 3,817

Who is judging based on price point and release date?

I just told him that a new model from Hifiman is in progress, that will replacement the HE-6, and that it will cost more when the HE-560 but less when the HE-1000. I have not said anything about the SQ.

sahem's original post was lamenting the fact that newer more expensive models are being released out of his price range. my post was just meant to *hopefully* help cheer him up :)

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #1,213 of 3,817
  This is actually quite encouraging to hear.  I have found that a certain threshold of satisfaction, once met, can last a long time.  Your own post demonstrates that you're already "there" AND it may last longer than you think.  I'm guessing you're MUCH younger than I am (which is 52), and if that's the case, remember that you'll have PLENTY of time to upgrade later. 

I have absolutely no proof (or even any robust evidence) for what I'm about to suggest, but here's what I believe, based on my own experience:  Assuming you're young, your level of auditory/audiophile discernment will improve/increase over time.  Your hearing may actually deteriorate slightly BUT your "ear-brain" processing will nevertheless improve based on listening experience and refinement of your tastes.  You'll be able to pick apart and find weaknesses in things you previously thought sounded great.  You'll become increasingly "spoiled" by the excellence of the sound you listen to routinely.  The progression will occur in steps, and hopefully your income and finances will improve as you ascend in your occupation.  

This stepwise progression is an important concept.  A good scenario would be that you enjoy whatever system you have and listen to it over time, becoming thoroughly familiar with its strengths and weaknesses.  Gradually you'll feel like maybe it's time to move "up," but not until you've had sufficient time to enjoy and appreciate what you currently own.  In my opinion, the most credible driver for any upgrade would be PERSONAL LISTENING, even if doing so consumes some of your financial resources.  At this point, you'll be in a better position to decide whether you want to upgrade.  Then if you do upgrade, you'll also be in a better position to more fully appreciate this new level of sonic quality. 

The point is that an incremental journey may be more rewarding in the long run while also allowing you to have more fun along the way. 

You may also find a plausible end point at which you're truly satisfied, even blissful, and really not interested in pursuing any more upgrades, because what you have is (something you personally perceive as being) SO good that it's of marginal value to keep chasing something you already have.  Yes, there may be better, but at this point what you have is SO good that you really don't care that much.  Also, at this point you're well into the "diminishing returns" part of the upgrade spectrum, and significant improvements will be double or more the price of your current system, which is already quite expensive.

For what it's worth.

thank you to have written what i think so perfectly clearly
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,214 of 3,817
The other thing about spending a fortune you don't have on gear is that you may not have much left for actual music. I know you can stream ore go to YouTube for free, but a good CD sounds better (high resolution streaming sites like TIDAL sound better, but are no longer free), high resolution downloads and LPs can sound better (I know, depending on the matter and a kazillion other factors), and getting out to hear live music can be REALLY expensive (depending on what music and musicians you favor), but I'd REALLY worthwhile if you are a music lover. Otherwise, you can wind up with a beautiful piece of gear, and 3 good cds to play on it. Man, have fun, enjoy the music...I can't recall a time so much reasonably priced, good sounding gear was available (even while Summit Fi prices have fine through the roof...I've heard sine great sounding $100,000+ systems in my day...thank goodness I could still enjoy music through my relatively modest system). JUST HAVE FUN!!!!!

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,215 of 3,817
..I can't recall a time so much reasonably priced, good sounding gear was available (even while Summit Fi prices have fine through the roof..). JUST HAVE FUN!!!

This is a critically important point.  The fact that a certain highly expensive product may be phenomenal doesn't mean that something more reasonably priced sounds bad.  In fact, you may well decide that a lower priced item is BETTER than a higher priced item, to your ears.  In other words, keep in mind that although there is a general correlation between increasing prices and improved sound quality, this correlation is not linear; sometimes the correlation doesn't even exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back