Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #1,712 of 3,817
I have Macintosh amp and SACD player along with B&W 802's and I never imagined i would come across a headphone that would rival the system but the HE1000 along with my Yiggy/Rag combo shockingly has me listening to as much music on my headphones as i do on my loudspeaker system...I never imagined it possible....truly stunning

Are you planning on keeping your HD800, Ether and HEK?

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #1,713 of 3,817
for the time being i am planning on keeping all 3 although i have bought and sold several other cans so i cant say for sure

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,714 of 3,817
for the time being i am planning on keeping all 3 although i have bought and sold several other cans so i cant say for sure

Wrong thread, so momentarily OT, would you mind comparing the Ether and HD800?

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,715 of 3,817
  Well, my search for a powerful, refined and dynamic sounding amp for the HE1000 has ended. Behold my new arrival, Wells Audio Enigma...

This thing grabs the HE1000 by it's conkers and pummels it into submission until it comes out the other end actually sounding quite punchy and dynamic, all done with the grace and finesse of a WWF wrestler-statured ballerina

(Clearly I have a serious dose of new toy syndrome).

I too, own this amp. It has amazing synergy with my HD800 and HE1000's. With the McIntosh MHA-1000's…not so much.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,716 of 3,817

Well, my search for a powerful, refined and dynamic sounding amp for the HE1000 has ended. Behold my new arrival, Wells Audio Enigma...

This thing grabs the HE1000 by it's conkers and pummels it into submission until it comes out the other end actually sounding quite punchy and dynamic, all done with the grace and finesse of a WWF wrestler-statured ballerina

(Clearly I have a serious dose of new toy syndrome).

I too, own this amp. It has amazing synergy with my HD800 and HE1000's. With the McIntosh MHA-1000's…not so much.

Can't be too many of these out there mate (mine's serial #0004). Whilst mine sounds great, there appears to have been an issue with the voltage conversion as it's playing at what seems like double volume (you can imagine how loud that will be!). Currently in discussions swith Jeff to diagnose what's going on.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,717 of 3,817

Can't be too many of these out there mate (mine's serial #0004). Whilst mine sounds great, there appears to have been an issue with the voltage conversion as it's playing at what seems like double volume (you can imagine how loud that will be!). Currently in discussions swith Jeff to diagnose what's going on.

Sounds like you're currently charged with solving a potential enigma.  You probably already tried it but what about a step-down transformer (240 to 120)?  I'll put in a plug for that solution.  Watt do you have to lose? 

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,718 of 3,817

Sounds like you're currently charged with solving a potential enigma.  You probably already tried it but what about a step-down transformer (240 to 120)?  I'll put in a plug for that solution.  Watt do you have to lose? 

Ha ha :). I paid to have the voltage changed but not convinced it worked. Whilst the amp doesn't blow up on 240v, it's gain is too high for my HE560 and only barely usable (a couple of mm travel on volume knob) with my HE1000. Should be around 9 o'clock with the HE1000 according to previous owner. Would like to avoid a step down convertor, hence paying for proper voltage conversion from the amp maker.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,719 of 3,817
Ha ha :). I paid to have the voltage changed but not convinced it worked. Whilst the amp doesn't blow up on 240v, it's gain is too high for my HE560 and only barely usable (a couple of mm travel on volume knob) with my HE1000. Should be around 9 o'clock with the HE1000 according to previous owner. Would like to avoid a step down convertor, hence paying for proper voltage conversion from the amp maker.

Jeff Wells was exhibiting at Axpona 2015 in Chicago, where I had the pleasure of speaking with him briefly.  Based on his calm, pleasant, and serious demeanor at Axpona and based on the content of this review, I predict (confidently) that he'll figure it out and fix it correctly. 

By the way, is there a degradation in sound quality with the use of (step down or step up) converters on audio equipment? 

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,720 of 3,817
  Jeff Wells was exhibiting at Axpona 2015 in Chicago, where I had the pleasure of speaking with him briefly.  Based on his calm, pleasant, and serious demeanor at Axpona and based on the content of this review, I predict (confidently) that he'll figure it out and fix it correctly. 

By the way, is there a degradation in sound quality with the use of (step down or step up) converters on audio equipment? 

I am using one and I don't think so.

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #1,721 of 3,817
Will we ever see a Dharma - Ether - HE1000 - LCD4 comparison?
Now, that'd be something!

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,722 of 3,817
Will we ever see a Dharma - Ether - HE1000 - LCD4 comparison?
Now, that'd be something!

Plus .... the "new" version of the HE1000: the "Edition X ": a Cheaper and MORE EFFICIENT version of the HE1000 !

( May be the ticket for low output DAP ?)

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,723 of 3,817
Yup, definitely should work well with (moderately powerful+) DAPs :)

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,725 of 3,817

I think you meant MHP-1000, correct?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back