Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #466 of 761
WoW!!! Swt, you are on a whole different level. That is some superb work there buddy. I just hope they sound as good as they look, for your sake. Enjoy!

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #467 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
WoW!!! Swt, you are on a whole different level. That is some superb work there buddy. I just hope they sound as good as they look, for your sake. Enjoy!

Thanks buddy, the little S curve on the sides of these made them a little tricky, but that's the fun part. The sound hasn't changed a whole lot, which I think is a good thing.

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #468 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Thanks warrior05.

Well wowie11 inspired me today. Right after his post about me making a woodied DR150 I decided what the heck, I had a free shop day. So without wasting any time I started pulling the Docs apart. I have the wood all milled and it's drying from it's final coat of laquer. I'm going to give it a few hours to dry. Since I had them mostly taken apart I decided to disassemble them fully and give them a makeover as well. What's in a makeover you ask? Well you'll have to wait and see, but I promise you one thing, they're going to look different. I'll try to get them together later tonight, but no promises. Yes I'll post pics as soon as they're together again. Mmmmmm wood!

Wow, Swt...I was thinking in the near future...not in the same day! You are a true artist with your woodwork. How often do we see pioneers who are innovators too? Kudos Swt...nice work...now, I believe we Doc faithful are quite anxious for your review!

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #469 of 761
Nice to see the 150's still popping up on the forum,i still use mine a lot and like them just as much!
Swt those woodies look great,you sure know how to make good use of your workshop,plus you have the satisfaction of owning a one of a kind!

Oct 25, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #470 of 761
swt, that's some awesome work you did with the Docs back there
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #471 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
Wow, Swt...I was thinking in the near future...not in the same day! You are a true artist with your woodwork. How often do we see pioneers who are innovators too? Kudos Swt...nice work...now, I believe we Doc faithful are quite anxious for your review!

It was either go out to the shop and have some fun or sit at the computer all day, easy choice. I'll listen more and give a mini review soon. I'm looking for a better name than Darth Docs too, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nov 12, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #472 of 761
I hope no one minds my dredging this thread back up again (somehow I get the idea that team DR probably won't
biggrin.gif

Ok, so I've browsed through this entire thread, and I've yet to find a definitive comparison between the Docs and the HD595.

I'm trying to decide which to get. They're exactly the same price. I'll be driving them (at first) from my computer sound card (which i believe is the latest intel integrated) and from my 5g ipod. I'll be using them for music, gaming, dvds, pretty much everything.

I intend to add an amp at some point, but possibly not for a while (like, when I get a job next semester). I've read the Docs are extremely source sensative. Will the Hd595 sound better unamped? Will the docs sound better than the hd595 amped?

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #473 of 761
i gave the HD595s a quick listen at a meet and thought the DR150s sounded better. i thought the docs were more resolving and more balanced even with its fun bass slam. on a scale of 1 to 10 i would give the senns a 6 and the docs a 7 for overall sound quality. (i'll give my dr. diablos an 8
biggrin.gif
)

senns typically seem to need some muscle for them to sound their best. the docs are easy to drive. yes, they are source sensitive but sound pretty darn good right out of a DAP.

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #474 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekPowell
I hope no one minds my dredging this thread back up again (somehow I get the idea that team DR probably won't
biggrin.gif

Ok, so I've browsed through this entire thread, and I've yet to find a definitive comparison between the Docs and the HD595.

I'm trying to decide which to get. They're exactly the same price. I'll be driving them (at first) from my computer sound card (which i believe is the latest intel integrated) and from my 5g ipod. I'll be using them for music, gaming, dvds, pretty much everything.

I intend to add an amp at some point, but possibly not for a while (like, when I get a job next semester). I've read the Docs are extremely source sensative. Will the Hd595 sound better unamped? Will the docs sound better than the hd595 amped?

The Docs are most certainly easier to drive. They are source sensative though. They are definitely not as dark as the Senns.

My iPod mates very well with them even unamped. My old Portaphile amp just didn't have the right stuff for the Docs though. Looking forward to trying them with my new Pint in the next few days. It's supposed to be a great match.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #475 of 761
Hi everyone. I'm a bit of a newbie here, but I just wanted to say that after reading this thread, and some listening tests at my local shop, I'm now a proud member of Team Goldring. I picked up my "Docs" yesterday, and have had a tough time taking them from my head since. They're my first truly "serious" cans for home use (I have Ety ER-4s for travel, but don't like using them at home, and some old Sony MDR-V6s that have now been rendered a paperweight by the Docs).

All I can say is that I'm very impressed!
orphsmile.gif
Everything sounds an order of magnitude better than what I'd been used to. No complaints of discomfort here. What sibilance I heard yesterday has already faded. These may not be the end-all, be-all of headphones, but I think they're going to keep me happy for quite a while.

The mods posted here are truly drool-worthy, but I think it's going to take a long time before I get up the guts to take a knife to my beloved Docs.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #476 of 761
welcome aboard! yeah, the docs are fun, ay? i'm still listening to mine even though i also have a pair of K701s and SR225s... uh, not to mention my latest obsession with low cost IEMs. actually, i've got my dr. diablos sitting right in front of me plugged in to my hornet/imod combo. ready for action.

enjoy!

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #477 of 761
I love to see this thread pop up. I'm on my way out to the shop this morning to make a pair of woody inserts for a members Docs, so it's fitting to see this thread resurrected this morning.

Dec 21, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #478 of 761
got my dr150 last week after recommendations from headfi members....n wat can say....its so swweeeet *drool.....it sounded so good even right out of the box....

think its time to have a thread on the recommendations on the amps for these..wat say??

Dec 21, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #479 of 761
i was shocked to find the DR150 in a local hifi shop here the other day (shocked because this place is pratically a Head-Fi desert).

so i went in and asked for a tryout. it was a short one. mebbe 2 tracks from dire straits from a source i cant remember. and unamped.

i have to say im impressed. it sounds hell of alot better than the HD595 that ive tried. but aint as comfortable as the cups are smaller.

either way... im still trying to resist the temptation. worst part is bonus and payday is tonight. which maked the temptation even harder

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #480 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have to say im impressed. it sounds hell of alot better than the HD595 that ive tried. but aint as comfortable as the cups are smaller.

ha! swt61 was the first to say it but i wholeheartedly agree after my try out... the docs are much better than the 595s AND much easier to drive.

the earcups are smaller. thankfully i have small flat ears so comfort in that regards is not an issue. if the docs fit you they are incredibly comfortable.

man, i love seeing the goldrings talked about again! maybe the others will catch on yet... ay swt?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back