Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #451 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
Yes Warrior! Definitely pics! I have to admit that I am jealous of the Doc mods that are going down!

Good to see you're still a member in good standing of Club Docs wowie11! Actually I've seen very little evidence of these being sold in the forums.

Oct 24, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #452 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Good to see you're still a member in good standing of Club Docs wowie11! Actually I've seen very little evidence of these being sold in the forums.

Yeah, I still have mine and use them now and then. Great cans, doubt I'll sell them for a long time if ever.

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #454 of 761
The DR150s sound nice out of my laptop's headphone jack too.

But outta the Alien DAC to the PINT and then to the DR150, the sound is unbelievable! Looky that spacious headroom!
biggrin.gif

Its got incredible performance for its price. (Paid US$105.60 for a first hand model)

May the DR150 love live on
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #456 of 761
Quote:

I haven't tried them out of my new Pint yet. I need to get a 1/4"-1/8" adaptor as mine are now terminated 1/4".

How does the cable help with the sound? I also have a pint, but I need a power source for it.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #457 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
How does the cable help with the sound? I also have a pint, but I need a power source for it.

Nice to see activity in this forum. I took a brief hiatus from Head-fi to sort out some stuff...and I'm back! Nice to see that Swt, Slade and the rest of the Doc gang are still keeping this thread up...hehehe.

On a separate note...it's true. The PINT definitely hits a nice sweet spot with the Docs. Very nice synergy between those two and my Sony D-5A (my transportable solution of choice). There have been times when I have skipped dinner listening to this combo in my hotel room...it still amazes me sometimes that the Docs only set us back about $125.

PS...Swt...your Docs look awesome...I am quite jealous! Next step...Doc Woodies!

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #458 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
PS...Swt...your Docs look awesome...I am quite jealous! Next step...Doc Woodies!

Thanks, and Hmmm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile

It seems to tighten the bass a bit and flush out the highs just a tad. I think having a straighter path to the drivers also helps.

Can anyone recommend a good 1/4"-1/8" adaptor? I really want to try these with my Pint. It's a MisterX built maxxed out unit and it sounds really nice!

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #459 of 761
Quote:

Can anyone recommend a good 1/4"-1/8" adaptor? I really want to try these with my Pint. It's a MisterX built maxxed out unit and it sounds really nice!

i would recommend one that has a bit of cable in between a la grado or sennheiser's version. i use grado's but i believe senn's version is a bit more flexible, not to mention cheaper. the reason i don't recommend using an 1/8" > 1/4" plug adapter is that it puts too much strain on the mini jack. though if you are at home listening and not moving the portable around much it would be okay.

headroom and todd has the grado adapter. i was going to give you a link for the senns but they seem to be having a problem with their site.

i would make you one for n/c but for some reason, decent self-contained 1/4" jacks are hard to come by. i got one by neutrik but it is bulky as hell.

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #460 of 761
Guys, what's the config of the PINTs that you have that goes along with the DR150?

I'm enjoying mine with a dual AD8397 configured one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #461 of 761
Thanks warrior05.

Well wowie11 inspired me today. Right after his post about me making a woodied DR150 I decided what the heck, I had a free shop day. So without wasting any time I started pulling the Docs apart. I have the wood all milled and it's drying from it's final coat of laquer. I'm going to give it a few hours to dry. Since I had them mostly taken apart I decided to disassemble them fully and give them a makeover as well. What's in a makeover you ask? Well you'll have to wait and see, but I promise you one thing, they're going to look different. I'll try to get them together later tonight, but no promises. Yes I'll post pics as soon as they're together again. Mmmmmm wood!

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #462 of 761
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the Darth Docs!

This is not a mod for begginers. There was a bit of trimming and reworking some of the plastic parts to prepare them to hold the wood pieces.
I was never that fond of the silver, so I took the opportunity to make 'em Black.

Yeah the pics aren't that great. I'll try to take more in the next few days.
The wood is Curly Maple.

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #465 of 761
Thanks guys, I haven't actually listened to them yet. I've been busy putting them back together. I'll do a little review on them later, maybe tomorrow night.

OK, I decided to listen just a bit, first impressions are that there's not a big change. These are pretty flat pieces of wood, as they wouldn't articulate with thicker wood cups. So I'd consider this more of an esthetic change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back