Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #436 of 761
Well if the DT770 are around but a bit smaller it might be possible to strech them a bit and put them into form before inserting them. I'm just wondering if they are bigger than the docs unstretched.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
I doubt it, the 770 pads are round, the docs have small oval pads. I agree, I would like larger pads...

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #437 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemos
Well if the DT770 are around but a bit smaller it might be possible to strech them a bit and put them into form before inserting them. I'm just wondering if they are bigger than the docs unstretched.

Well if they feel better around your ears, and they are round not oval, then I would imagine that yes, they are larger. I don't have a pair, but I am pretty sure about that...

Jul 24, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #438 of 761
oh, yes... i thought i would reawaken this thread and share my recent experience with my DR150s and the NYC Meet. i am happy to say the docs held their own quite well. tyll was the only one there that i know of who gave them a try. he said they were better then he remembered from a different meet but that was about it.

as for me... this was my first meet and i was having tons of fun listening to a bunch of different cans. i must say from a lot that i heard, the docs stood head to toe with many of them and came out ahead with many as well. i was real interested in hearing the HD595s because at one point i was seriously considering buying them. i definitely like the GRs better. obviously the upper-end stuff was better and i fell in love with tyll's balanced K701s coming from the home balanced amp. but even after spending a fair amount of time with those, i went back to the docs just as a curiousity comparison and i found myself thinking, "you know, the GRs really are decent." the differences were of course very apparent but considering the price difference - i was proud of the docs.

i'll tell you this much: coming from my portable source which includes the RSA Hornet - i preferred my docs over all of the dynamic senns including the HD650 (i felt the docs did a better job with the bass). that is not to say that if the HD650s were plugged into the proper source that they would still fall short but i can only comment from what i listened out of.

so there you have it. the DR150s still rock!
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #439 of 761
I was really surprized to see this thread pop back up! I have my new Darkvoice 336 tube amp that I bought for my K340's and they now get a lot of ear time. However this amp sounds really nice with the Docs too, although at a fraction of the volume I use for the K340's. But I really like the Docs with my new 60gig iPod. They sound almost as good unamped as amped with my Portaphile. Nice simple system. Mine got no attention at the Dallas meet, but like you I thought they held their own against some much more expensive cans. I liked them much better than the ATH-W5000's. Mine will remain with me even as other items come and go. I still think they're a great bargain!

Jul 24, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #440 of 761
Hi all,Nice to see i'm not the only one still enjoying the 150's.
Swt your right about the DR150 ipod 5g combo sounding good but would just add that after being ampless for a week or so i put my sm3 back with the ipod and was blown away by how much more weight and depth the sound had along with more bass[using 627 opamp in class A] ,but agree even without an amp the 5g along with the 150's makes for a very enjoyable listen.
I think for me the only newer cans that might keep the 150's off my ears for a while would be the latest incarnation of the Beyer DT990 which i suspect i'd really like,i may splash the cash on a pair this week.
Warrior i think your right ,the 150's perform VERY well indeed for not a lot of money, and if for example people listen to older classic rock type music[like me,yes i'm old enough to know the genre well
biggrin.gif
] they should not be discounted from someone's shopping list.

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #441 of 761
aaaahhhhhhh... nothing like hearing the luv for the docs!

hey, swt - good to hear you got your ipod going. are you listening to FLAC files via Rockbox? i got my 4g iMod'd and the sound amp'd via RSA Hornet is absolutely scrumptuous! my docs have been sharing duty with my first pair of grados - SR225 (amazing synergy with the Hornet/iMod combo) - and i've been loving every second of it. Rockbox is still a bit flaky but now that the development freeze has been lifted, hopefully we'll start to see some more stable builds. i primarily listen to my downtempo electronic and ambient music with the GRs and they continue to sound terrific.

hey, tonyli - yeah, the docs are wonderful paired with a Dr. Xin amp. i have a supermacro 3V3 and they really go well together.

i'm still thinking of getting a used pair and trying my hand at recabling just for giggles to see what happens. saw one set on the FS/FT boards but i'm trying to keep a clamp on my wallet for a bit.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #442 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05

hey, swt - good to hear you got your ipod going. are you listening to FLAC files via Rockbox? i got my 4g iMod'd and the sound amp'd via RSA Hornet is absolutely scrumptuous! my docs have been sharing duty with my first pair of grados - SR225 (amazing synergy with the Hornet/iMod combo) - and i've been loving every second of it. Rockbox is still a bit flaky but now that the development freeze has been lifted, hopefully we'll start to see some more stable builds. i primarily listen to my downtempo electronic and ambient music with the GRs and they continue to sound terrific.

hey, tonyli - yeah, the docs are wonderful paired with a Dr. Xin amp. i have a supermacro 3V3 and they really go well together.

i'm still thinking of getting a used pair and trying my hand at recabling just for giggles to see what happens. saw one set on the FS/FT boards but i'm trying to keep a clamp on my wallet for a bit.
evil_smiley.gif

Hi Warrior,I see you have added SR225's to the 150's, i doubt you lack much for R&R!
I've never owned Grado's as most are CRAZY expensive in the UK,but on listening to different pairs over the years i'd say the 225 is the sweetspot in the range by some margin.

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #443 of 761
Yay for the DR150 love!
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #444 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05

evil_smiley.gif

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I gave up on the FLAC thing. I'm listening to lossless through iTunes for now. I need to get hands on with someone that can show me more about FLAC in person. Maybe my next Dallas meet. However I now have 400 CD's ripped in iTunes in lossless format, and it ain't too bad. It's good enough for portable for now. At home I like my CDP/DAC with the little plastic discs. I can't see going to computer as my fulltime source anytime soon.

And yeah tonyli3 I think they're fun cans for classic rock too (the majority of my music collection). I don't really like the Portaphile DR150 combo that much, but I guess I should trade up on a portable amp soon. [AK]Zip makes a really nice sounding portable amp that I'm considering.

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #446 of 761
Audio Advisor has started selling the Goldring headphone line.I just received their latest flyer in the mail today and they had all three models in stock.

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #447 of 761
Wow you guys must have had to do some serious excavating to dig up this thread. Everytime I think it's dead for good it pops back up.

That's cool that they're available locally now.
I've had some changes done to mine, since I last posted here. I had them recabled dual entry by our own warrior05. He did a beautiful job! One of the best looking recables I've seen, he really is a detail guy. As for the sound, it's subtle but a very worthwhile change IMO. I think the improvement to bass and treble response just runs them another rung up the ladder. I don't see myself ever letting go of these. They were a great discovery, and I'd have to give up my "Goldring DR150 member #1" monicer.
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #448 of 761
the DR150 love lives!

thanks for the kind words, swt. you should see my experimental pair of docs. i'm really going off the deep end and have cut out the plastic grill in front of the speaker diagphragm and replacing it with a similar configuration to grados to see what it does to the sound. i am out of control but having fun with them!

enjoy the docs, monkey! they age nicely!

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #450 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I wanna see pics when you're done!

Yes Warrior! Definitely pics! I have to admit that I am jealous of the Doc mods that are going down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back